[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

diy rage stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

File: dsc_7543.jpg (226KB, 1354x900px) Image search: [Google]
dsc_7543.jpg
226KB, 1354x900px
>want to renew varnish of hardwood table
>notice that top is actually a thin layer of wood
>check the bottom, yes seeming hardwood
>say what ever and start removing the top layer
>bam! particle board
But I have to admit fucker did a good job making it look like real hardwood. A thin layer of real hardwood on top and bottom and hardwood sides. I am not sure if it is a legit technique or a scam tactic
>>
>>1209388
image is from google, not mine
>>
Same thing happened to me. Fuck fake ass furniture.
>>
>>1209388
>not sure if it is a legit technique or a scam tactic
It's both. It's a legit technique that's been used to cut costs for many decades and (usually) not an attempt to deceive, but at the same time it's generally not information volunteered by the seller either.
>>
>>1209388
>I am not sure if it is a legit technique

Veneering? Yes, it's a pretty widely-used non-shady technique in woodworking. You've probably never seen wood cabinets that didn't have veneered plywood. The only time it would be shady is if they directly lied and said it was completely hardwood construction.
>>
File: i-rgzNRKW-L.jpg (65KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-rgzNRKW-L.jpg
65KB, 799x450px
>having to buy another large quantity of [product] because [small amount] short
>>
>>1209474
wtf is going on in this photo
>>
>>1209388
Lol yeah veneer is pretty typical in cheap furniture and probably 95% of cabinetry. There's only so much red maple to go around.

>>1209474
Even worse when your cement is setting and by the time you run to Home Depot, come back, mix up another batch, your last layer is set and you know your shit is going to crack on you.
>>
>spend an hour cutting wood with circ saw for project
>realize saw was set about a degree and a half off 90
>have to go back and fix every single fucking piece so the ends are square

On the up side to that I learned to never ever assume saw is set square and always check before getting started.
>>
>>1209388
>>1209389
I was about to berate you for being fooled by vinyl wrap.
>>
>>1209516
quite annoying
>>
threadlock

nuff said
>>
>Try to go without (insert expensive tool)
>Life is miserable without, and you have a use for said tool almost daily
>Finally crack and buy tool
>Hardly ever have a need for it
>>
>>1209631
For me it was a bandsaw, I made some tool holders and brackets for shit, but apart from that it doesnt get used much. Been almost 2 weeks since I touched the thing, I fucking hate it. Its "just" useful enough that life would be miserable without it.
>>
>>1209634
>Been almost 2 weeks since I touched the thing, I fucking hate it

You are doing something wrong. Is this saw in your way big time? Did it wreck you financially?

If you said "no" and "no" and you like to make things or fix things, then you bought a tool that WHEN YOU NEED IT will be awesome. That's how tools work.

I have tools that I use once every five or ten years, and WHEN I NEED THEM I am happy as shit that I ALREADY HAVE THEM.

The sentence I quoted from you is very disturbing.
>>
>>1209638
I dont know, only had it for a couple months. Maybe im just havent learnt to think of when to use it. Anyways for the first two weeks it was real fucking handy, spend 3 full solid days making little tool holders and other shit around the shop.
>>
>>1209640
>. Maybe im just havent learnt to think of when to use it

You still seem to be thinking wrong. If I have a really nice tire balancer, I don't get upset that I can't think of a way to use it today, but rather when a tire starts to vibrate I of course remember that OH BABY I OWN A TIRE BALANCER and maybe it fixes the vibration.

People who work with wood all the time or once every three years can be glad they own a bandsaw. As I said: if it's not taking up valuable space and you could afford it, just forget about it until you need it.

You seem to have some sort of psychological thing going on. Do you feel guilty about purchasing a tool that is not constantly being used?
>>
>>1209645
Nah, I just bummed out, I thought it was going to be a huge game changer. I had high expectations, im sure ill get over it in a bit.
Also got any handy shit to do with a bandsaw? Im still not done playing with my new toy.
>>
>>1209647
>I thought it was going to be a huge game changer. I had high expectations,

Please elaborate. It's not like you bought a new joystick buy it did not improve your gaming ability, or you put something on your car and you're still an average driver.

How did the saw not meet your expectations? Did you think you would be making money off things you made, or what? If we were together I'd have you lie down on the couch and relax while I take notes on my clipboard for half an hour, then schedule our next appointment.
>>
>>1209652

Jesus christ calm down
>>
>>1209652
Well now that you think of it im incredibly lonely, had a bad childhood, am institutionalised from the army and my hobbies no longer stop the crushing boredom.
>>
>>1209652
>>1209658
Wait scratch that, im not prepared to talk to another autist about my upbringing for 6 hours.
>>
>>1209461
TECHICALLY. If you built the core from say balsa wood. Then veneered it.. It was made out of a hardwood...
>>
>>1209692
Some people consider fir a hardwood. Pretty sure most particleboard is made of fir.
>>
>>1209516

typical noob mistake. any experienced woodworker should always check tools before cutting to make sure they are set. even if you are sure it is correct, theres that chance you are wrong
>>
>>1209694
Well. Hardwood is defined by the grain structures. and not the type of leaf it has.. That's why balsa is a hardwood.
>>
>>1209391
>Fuck fake ass furniture.
pretty much all furniture today (or last several decades) is all fake crap. even the "high end" stuff isn't much better. don't be $fooled$.
there is a need and place for cheap built furniture but the price should also reflect that it is indeed 'cheap'. yet I always see such ridiculous prices on what I know is fiber board based crap furniture. but I guess the vast majority don't have a clue so 'they' can get away with it.
>>
>>1209692
more acceptable than particle board
>>
>>1209515
>Even worse when your cement is setting and by the time
in this case you just need to scrap up all the surplus cement while it's still wet. then you have all the time you need to go get another batch and pick up where you left off at your leisure. and yes, *some* cement will be wasted in this process but your floor won't be all jacked up.
>>
>>1209699
Can you explain the definition to me.
>>
>>1209711
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwood
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ochroma
>Being a deciduous angiosperm, balsa is classified as a hardwood despite the wood itself being very soft.
>>
>>1209701
>the vast majority don't have a clue so 'they' can get away with it.

Solid wood products are not necessarily superior. The most expensive doors typically have hardwood edges, hardwood pieces where the surface is not flat, but large sections are some sort of manufactured product like particle board covered by a very thin veneer.

These doors never warp or split. You could make old fashioned doors but they would not be as durable and long lasting.

The main problem is the thin veneer. It's almost impossible to get a door from the factory to the jamb without a scratch or a dent. You can sand through the veneer kinda easily with 220 grit sandpaper if you aren't familiar with the veneer.

But "they" aren't trying to fool anyone. "They" are building a great product at the lowest cost to you.

I realize this is 4chan where everything in the world can be explained in terms of a (((conspiracy)), but sometimes it's just reality.
>>
File: 1469468843549.gif (1MB, 200x190px) Image search: [Google]
1469468843549.gif
1MB, 200x190px
>cutting straight with a jigsaw
>>
>>1209388
USA made carved-top Gibson Les Pauls have a maple top cap that is about 1/4" thick at its thinnest points and about 3/4" thick at it's thickest glued to the mahogany back.

Overseas made versions have a thin veneer of maple applied over a carved mahogany top, saving several hundred dollars on the price.

People who don't really know what the heck they are talking about will insist that the full maple top cap makes a big difference, yammering about how it makes a difference in the tone or the sustain of the guitar. (It doesn't)

The only way to tell the difference in the two is disassemble the guitar and measure the thickness of the maple cap. In other words, there is no discernible difference.

TL;DR : If you could never tell there was a veneer there, then obviously the veneer had no affect on the quality of the final product.
>>
>>1209741
Ive always wondered about guitars, surely 99% of the sound is from geometry and the other 1% is from wood density.
>>
>>1209741
>TL;DR : If you could never tell there was a veneer there, then obviously the veneer had no affect on the quality of the final product.
it does, in my case it was 1mm thick so you cannot renew it easily, more or less unmaintainable.
1/4" thick could work though
>>
>>1209482
anon is laying some tile in the doorway of his garage and ran out of thin-set before finishing.
anon must now buy another 40lb bag for the last 3 tiles. faggot
>>
>>1209388
wow you are stupid
next time just look at the edge grain retard.

you can actually refinish veneer if you're not retarded enough to burn through it with the sander.

I bet you are a woman
>>
>>1209697
Oh of course. I never claimed to be experienced pro. I've also done stuff like doing glue up in suboptimal order and make the rest of the project about triple the work it should have been because now things are harder to change or access due to initial mistake.
>>
>>1209744

For electric guitars, sound quality is primarily pickups, amplifier, newness of strings, the style of bridge construction, and the player using it. Type of wood used has minimal effect. Eg, if someone tries to tell you a maple fretboard makes for brighter tone, they're full of shit.
>>
>>1209711
There's the botanical definition, that anon linked you.

And there's also the one that woodworkers actually use, which is whether it's fucking hard or not.
>>
>>1209744
>surely 99% of the sound is from geometry and the other 1% is from wood density.

The density and type of grain is just as much a factor in resonance as the geometry.
Will vibrations will move through plywood as well as something like tight grained mahogany?

If youve ever played an acrylic or metal bodied electric guitar, you can hear it immediately by just playing it without an amp. Yet somehow that audible difference in resonance wont be picked up directly through the pickups in the body? kek

>>1209767
>>1209741
>i refute 100 years of common knowledge from musicians with better ears because I put active EMGs into a plywood guitar
>>
For an electrical project I had to do some really awfully strange things, and not surprisingly, the results came out completely defying expectations.

Basically I had a mosfet at the base of a capacitor to ground (there are good reasons) so I could switch the capacitor on both sides. On the high side, using a blocking cap, I could switch the mosfet with low voltage between the high voltage and a few volts less (blocking cap made it so the gate was between like 100V and 95V when I'd toggle). The side on the bottom of the capacitor was going between 0 and 5V, and yet there was more than a 100x worsening of the switching rate. I will figure that one out. The rage isn't so much the expectations, but the specs I have to work around a bit outrageous and while there were some very clear problems using a conventional design, the unconventional designs came up with weird problems people normally don't have to deal with. What's worse is a lot of books used equations which seemed right from the math but in simulations and practice lead to completely wrong conclusions (I'm specifically referring to a linear filter I had to use, where the resonance would go completely off depending on the load).

Nothing like a few hundred volts on a resonant circuit leading to thousands of volt transients.
>>
>>1209805
>Will vibrations will move through plywood as well as something like tight grained mahogany?

That's not what i meant. When i say wood does not make meaningful difference in electrics (acoustics are a different story) i meant between the commonly used woods for guitars. There are considerable price differences between an inexpensive wood like basswood vs. expensive wood like mahogany. Your value in terms of tone for getting the more expensive wood on an electric is zilch. Ditto for maple or rosewood fretboard vs. ebony. Maple is the cheapest of the three and is only sold at a premium over rosewood because it requires an additional step in manufacturing to seal. It does not make a meaningful difference in tone vs rosewood.
>>
>>1209741
Original Les Paul Standards have a maple cap and rosewood board. Original Les Paul Customs are all mahogany with an ebony board. They sound different.

t. luthier
>>
>>1209816
>moving the goalposts from "it doesnt actually make a difference" to "its too expensive for me to justify it"

At least you admit it. Thats the whole crux of the argument, but people try to hide it under the guise of "it doesnt make a difference". It absolutely does, just like every other part of the guitar.

Also dont forget that actual musicians still have a preference which money has no bearing on their equipment.
Like Steve Vai using Basswood bodies in his personal guitars.
>>
File: violins.jpg (4MB, 3601x3024px) Image search: [Google]
violins.jpg
4MB, 3601x3024px
>>1209825
>t. luthier

Jealous. I wanted to sign up for a pretty expensive violin making school when I was a teenager but my parents weren't going to go for it. I think instrument making is the ultimate combination of fine art and /diy/.
>>
File: 20170715_223126_HDR.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170715_223126_HDR.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>1209388
>Buy 2 UV LED strips from aliexpress from the same seller for a PCB exposer
>cut strips to length
>stick them down with femtonian precission
>solder each pad with painstakingly bent copper wire
>power on
>half of those strips are more blueish than the rest
>Fuck
>unstick, desolder, stick, solder again

Chinese LED strips are like snowflakes, every one is different.
>>
>>1209883
When you buy from Won Hung Low you get Won Hung Low.
>>
>>1209629
Or in my profession; equipment leaving the factory with hard-set sealant on pipe unions and flare fittings.
>>
>>1209883
>not testing the strings before assembly
Your workbench has me diamonds though.
>>
>>1209388
You want cheap furniture then you got to take the hit.

You want decent shit then you pay the price for decent materials.

It's not a scam, it's how things are. Throwaway society wants cheap shit.
>>
>>1209631
>>1209634
This is how it goes with DIY, but the day you need it again you will be ultra fucking happy that you own it.
>>
>>1209736
I've been in situations where I had to do some long, straight cuts with a jigsaw and very minimal tools available. I ended up doing pretty well with a straight edge ruler duct taped to the boards as a guide. Sometimes you gotta make do.
>>
More along the lines of diy incompetence that I have to deal with.
>customer comes to shop
>gets estimate
"oh, but I've got my own part"
>make estimate where I charge more for labor to make up for profit loss
"okay, sounds good, I'll drop it off Monday. Btw, I already got it apart for you"

No you don't, you did everything wrong and broke shit because you're retarded and now I have to spend twice as long repairing everything you fucked up and my estimate is going up you tard
>>
>>1211362
>"okay, sounds good, I'll drop it off Monday. Btw, I already got it apart for you"
>No you don't, you did everything wrong and broke shit because you're retarded and now I have to spend twice as long repairing everything you fucked up and my estimate is going up you tard

I add a $150 reassembly fee to laptops that have been "helpfully" taken apart for me. I tell them this up front. I've only had one guy bring me his box o' parts and pay it, in 10 years of doing this professionally.
>>
>>1211372
>I'm not really good at my job, so I need to disassemble it to know how it works. I'll punish you for making me actually research something by charging you for less work overall
>>
>>1211537
Says the asshole who keeps doing this. No, the problem is you lose half the shit you take apart, you've taken apart shit you don't need to take apart, you've generally stripped a few screws and broken some parts and we have gotta basically dig in our junk drawer of spare bits and pieces to repair what you fucked up. I had a guy total his car by attempting to cut his own windshield out
>>
>>1211880
>>1211537
Oh, and what makes it even worse is that you're also almost always wrong about what repair you need and get mad at me that your diagnosis was wrong.
>hur, da computer at advance said o2 sensor
>>
>>1209806
So, you're saying you had problems with your flux capacitor?
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.