[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

am I getting myself in trouble by starting with a squat rack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: vy1sk.jpg (337KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
vy1sk.jpg
337KB, 2560x1920px
am I getting myself in trouble by starting with a squat rack as my first ever dyi project
>>
>>1209320
Am I hallucinating or is this like the fifth time I've seen this
>>
>>1209328
You're not going crazy.
>>
File: 1495384653504.jpg (8KB, 200x205px) Image search: [Google]
1495384653504.jpg
8KB, 200x205px
>>1209320
>wood
>>
>>1209320

I suppose the two lower bars are for lifting alone and you can't get back up? Boy I could have used something like that back in my lifting days. Yeah, I can do one more rep. Uh oh. Oh well, I hope the floor can handle this. "No dad, I'm ok. Not so sure about the floor, though."

Failing on a bench press is even better, as you grind the barbell down the length of your body until it drops off your knees.
>>
>>1209320
Should have used concrete reinforced PVC.
>>
>>1209320

I did that, and I am still fine. Then again I am a mech eng.
>>
>first time diy
>will be supporting fatal weights held above your prone body
great idea.
>>
>>1209418
>>first time diy

No, he said "first ever dyi"; "do yourself in".
>>
>>1209358
Nothing wrong with wood. Most woods are relativel non-compressable, and as long as the safety bars are strong enough and the vertical supports are stable, no reason this rig can't work.
>>
File: OP.jpg (83KB, 300x382px) Image search: [Google]
OP.jpg
83KB, 300x382px
>>1209320
You have nothing better to do?
>>
>>1209320

As with anything the devil is in the details

>using it only for squats or also bench?

You need to up the safety factor if you're planning on relying on it to stop a loaded barbell exactly where you want it without sagging, splintering, etc.

>type/size of wood?

Different woods take stress differently, and of course using 4x4s will be a requirement instead of 2x4s or something.

>joinery?

You certainly don't want the whole thing crashing down on you because you used a shitty glued butt joint or something.

>humidity level?

If it's going to be in a nice air-conditioned room there's no problem, but if there are big swings in humidity it will swell and shrink and eventually start cracking. Once cracks start forming you really shouldn't use it until you replace whatever parts are cracked.

Honestly because of the potential loads involved -- slamming a several-hundred pound (potentially) weight down, subjecting the structure to several times that amount of force due to its movement -- this seems like something you might as well leave to a professional. If it were just a pullup/dip station then that would be different.

There are plans out there for a steel power cage that you give to a professional welder, along with the pieces of steel, and they'll weld you an extremely sturdy cage that you have zero chance of ever damaging structurally. One example: go here and scroll down to "Power racks or stands" http://startingstrength.com/get-started/equipment
>>
>>1209401
Please share your plans so OP doesn't an hero
>>
>>1209725
Thanks for the informative post bro, seriously. Now that you mention it wood probably isn't so safe with the pounds I will load it with so I think I will probably use rippletoes templates, thanks a lot for the link
>>
>>1209320
As long as you aren't going to testify against the Clintons any time soon, you should be good.
>>
File: Snapchat-1890599849.jpg (515KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1890599849.jpg
515KB, 1080x1920px
Ezpz this was my first
>>
File: SQAUT.png (33KB, 746x429px) Image search: [Google]
SQAUT.png
33KB, 746x429px
Here you go, these are pretty simple schematics of something I think would be safe enought op build out of insustrail wood, Like the shit you would see on for peir and beam foundations. Aside from nailing them I would suggest holding them together with joist hangers.
>>
>local man decapitates himself in a homemade guillotine
>Neighbors claim the last words heard were "LIGHTWEIGHT BABY"
>>
>>1209358
the load bearing columns in your house are made of wood, dummy
>>
File: sr.jpg (607KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
sr.jpg
607KB, 2560x1920px
>>1209320
What kind of tubing is pic related and how much load does it take?
>>
>>1209360
yep, those are safety pins. during squat lifts you can dump the barbell onto them and dive for safety, and when you fuck up a bench press they catch the barbell before it crushes your neck.
worth having.
>>
File: ghetto_gym.png (821KB, 616x798px) Image search: [Google]
ghetto_gym.png
821KB, 616x798px
>>1209401
>>1209737

Don't know where the plans are, but here is a pic of my DYI cave. Remember to keep the wood in compression on the grains, and use a large safety factor with plenty of diagonal beams.
>>
>>1210005
looks like schedule 40 black iron pipe. maybe 3/4". it will probably bend if you fully drop a loaded bar on it but it wont break
>>
>>1209420
>Do yourself in
Then it's perfect
>>
>>1209320
Ask /fit/
>>
>>1210158
have you ever raped anyone in there?
>>
>>1209880
>I will probably use rippletoes templates
link?
>>
>>1209320
not sure if you've already watched this but I'm probably going to build this when I get rid of enough shit in my garage. Its an instructional video as well as parts list for this very project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dy5eyMDt3c
>>
>>1209320
no your not. the best way to learn is by trial and error.
>>
File: homemade guillotine.png (16KB, 578x455px) Image search: [Google]
homemade guillotine.png
16KB, 578x455px
Wood is more than strong enough unless you like to drop the bar a lot. Mine is ghetto as shit and kept in a shitty barn. It's exposed to elements but 2 years later still holding strong.I only do babby weights but would feel sale going up to 315lbs on this bitch. Two buckets, bag of concrete, 2*4s. Cut and fix 2x4s to each other so three heights as show in picture. Place 2*4 in bucket and fill with dry concrete. Wiggle around until positioned right and pour water on dry concrete to make wet concrete. That's pretty much it.
>>
>>1209320
No trouble at all. While you are working, we can find plans for a good /diy/ wheelchair.
>>
>>1209956
Kek. This will never get old.
>>
>>1213307

Only my glutes my dude.
>>
>>1209328

Nope. It's not rare for ppl on /fit/ wanting to build their own stuff. Specially when you start adding every thing up, it's expensive as fuck and becomes cheaper end game to build it.
>>
>>1209360
I dont use clips and dump them
>>
>>1209320

you can also stain it dark, polish it, and sell it as bondage dungeon furniture for $1200 on etsy
>>
>>1218031
Not OP, but that sounds like a good idea. How much of a demand is there for that?
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.