[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wood burning pool heater

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: pool heater.png (125KB, 542x468px) Image search: [Google]
pool heater.png
125KB, 542x468px
Looking to build a small wood burning pool heater with shit i have laying around. Right now i have a 30 gallon drum, a few heavy duty aluminum oil coolers a submersible pump and lots of shit to build it. The picture is my basic idea, just cut a hole in the top of the drum, mount the aluminum cooler to it, put a door on and start a fire in there, pump water from the pool through the cooler and back into the pool. Nice and simple right? any ideas to make it more efficent? I have unlimited wood and the pool is 8000 gallons. just want a few more degrees. My main concern is should i keep the flames off the cooler by putting a plate in front of it with enough room for the smoke and heat to pass through it?
>>
>>1208853
This would be the cooler, it is heavy duty extruded tube, with extruded tanks. the fins might burn off but with water cooling it i would think the tubes would remain... or like i said put a plate infront of it so the heat and smoke go through but no direct flame.
>>
File: IMG_1660.jpg (62KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1660.jpg
62KB, 640x427px
>>1208856
oops forgot pic
>>
>>1208856
I doubt the fins would "burn" off if they're Al, but have you thought about putting the cooler inside the barrel? Also consider putting insulation on the outside of the barell, youll be losing most of your heat just through that.

As long as you have piping, I would run some metal tubes through the firebox too. Also your fire will be shit without venting holes and air inlets.
>>
File: Barrel Water Heater.png (4KB, 195x281px) Image search: [Google]
Barrel Water Heater.png
4KB, 195x281px
Don't use a heat exchanger like that. It will form steam inside and cause all manner of problems.

Wood fires are really hot and getting heat from them is way easier than what most people realize. Use a single large diameter pipe with no bends. Just a straight pipe. You'll need a couple T&P valves.

If you make it like in this image and have the inlet and outlet pipes go straight into the pool from the side, it will have thermosiphon flow and won't need a pump. Use at least 2" diameter pipe. The larger the better.
>>
>>1208853
Hot water heaters work good.

Of it was me tho i would just dig a fire pit and throw a big pipe in it.

Open pipe on each side and have pump suck from it and spit pool water in.
>>
File: 2017-07-13 20.01.49.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-13 20.01.49.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
I was thinking of doing this, not sure what i can find to insulate it that will be cheap and just laying around. Ive seen people use concrete and brick, but then we are getting heavy and id like to just move this thing out of the yard.
>>1208904

Id be using a 4000 GPH pump, I know the tubes are going to be small on the cooler so it might boil quickly but was hoping the mass flowing water might stop it. I have a bunch of differnt coolers from work so i could find something with larger tubes, possibly a copper heat exchanger?
>>
>>1208927
Well, turn the pic 90 degrees lol.
>>
>>1208927
Having a heat exchanger with small diameter and lots of bends in it is the main mistake for all these DIY wood water heaters. You also don't need to insulate it.
>>
File: Dutchtub.jpg (354KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Dutchtub.jpg
354KB, 1280x853px
>>1208853
Think simple man.
Complexity gets too expensive/time consuming.
>>
>>1208947
Copper pipe is expensive, junkyard radiators are cheap. Ypu will need one with low flow restriction though, the flow rate will need to be high to prevent the water flashing to steam.
>>
>>1208995
You don't need copper though. Steel pipe works well enough. Plus, you only need a single pipe like in >>1208904 which negates all the other problems.
>>
Has anyone considered a submersible combustion pool heater? Fill a 55 gallon drum with enough concrete to make it slightly bellow neutral boyancy, attach exaust, air and inlet tubes. Put it at the bottom of the pool. Put charcoal in the inlet tube to keep it fueled and pump air in to stoke the flames.

Boom, high efficiency. Even the exaust will lose most of its heat to the water on the way up. The pressurised air makes it burn hotter. You only have to bring it up to empty the ash now and again.

Ataching a choke valve to the exaust will allow you to keep it at positive pressure to prevent water ingress.
>>
>>1209002
Actually, it will get so well cooled that its efficiency will lower a great deal and its smoke will become blacker. That is the sort of thing that happens to those wood stoves with the heat exchangers inside the fire box and wrapped around the stove pipe.

Also, that whole thing about air pressure won't work. Just make it like a rocket stove where you feed the fire through a tube that sticks out of the pool on the side, if you must have a stove in the pool.
>>
In my local FB DIY-geoup there has been maybe 20-30 different pool heating solutions in recent times. Sadly you don't understand the language.
Oil heating was a big thing X times ago. Over here it's easy and cheap to find an old combination water heater that is made to burn both wood and oil. Those things have all that is needed and are easy to connect. They also are quite efficient compared to these "just put one pipe in the fire" - thingamajigs.
If you can find a combination burner that can be fed oil and wood at the same time (meaning that the oil burner isn't blocking the door) its the best. Also you can modify a standard heating oil (also known as diesel but with a different colour) to burn waste oil. And that is the ultimate solution. To have your pool heated with a automated system that uses a fuel which is high in energy content and is free and plentiful!
>>
>>1209039
Burning waste oils is illegal in most places I think, because of how dirty it burns
>>
>>1209008
Denser air means more oxygen means more fuel can be burnt, like a turbo on an engine. Putting it at 3m depth and pumping air in gives you the equivalent of 5psi boost pressure.

If it gets too cold then add some insulation to keep it from losing its heat too quickly, the heat all eventually ends up in the pool regardless.
>>
>>1209197
>If it gets too cold then add some insulation to keep it from losing its heat too quickly, the heat all eventually ends up in the pool regardless.

No, it will go up the chimney.
>>
>>1209209
Not if the chimney is coiled in the water to dissipate heat.
>>
File: 231231.jpg (161KB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
231231.jpg
161KB, 1300x1300px
>>1209213
You really don't understand this do you? Cooling the flue will cause black smoke. Making curls in the flue will slow down the smoke making it even less efficient. You really really don't need any of this high order over engineered bullshit.
>>
>>1209277
How will cooling the flue cause black smoke? Won't the incineration process have already occurred in the main tank?
>>
File: 1498926072640.gif (2MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1498926072640.gif
2MB, 320x320px
>>1209280
You mean the underwater tank? The one that is underwater specifically to enable all the heat to go into the water, the insulated underwater tank that is insulated so that it won't heat the water so it will be 100% efficient? That the tank you are talking about? Because, this is getting a bit fucking stupid.
>>
>>1209318
Insulation will just change the temperature differential, the energy still goes to the water eventually. Insulation will mean that a higher temperature gradient is neccesary for the system to reach equilibrium.
>>
>>1209585
No, it means it will just go up the chimney and out into the air.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.