[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alternator or bad connection?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Thinking of replacing alternator on jeep 4.0. suv from late 90s. is at 198k miles and begin doing odd power surges when a/c is turned on. Car runs good but when I turn on ac or radio will surge or flicker but stay on. I took battery cables off and it runs fine but does it after a trip of 20 miles. Any feedback? Or is it a connection?
>>
>>1208825
You have no idea what's going on do you? At least read the fucking voltage man, if you get 14.something from your alternator it's fine. If it only happens with one thing, well wouldnt you suspect that one thing? I'd bet your engine also bogs when you turn the A/C on right?
>>
Go to Jeep forums and Pirate 4x4.

This is neither. Ensure you have a service manual for reference.
>>
Your A/C compressor is locking up which slows the belt down and messes with the alternator.
>>
>>1208825
I believe that the flywheel has magnets that help to control the timing on Jeep I6s. But there are any number of things that could cause your problem. Best bet is to read up.
>>
>>1208825
>Car runs good but when I turn on ac or radio will surge or flicker but stay on. I took battery cables off and it runs fine but does it after a trip of 20 miles. Any feedback?

Slow down and try to write a coherent sentence, for one thing.
>>
>>1209614
This.

I assume you removed the battery cables after you started the car?
>>
>>1208849
Well I checked the voltage and it shifts from 12 to 15 at random. With a/c off it's good. I've checked belt and it's really bad. But the compressor is stock Chrysler
>>
>>1209617
Yes, I removed the battery cables, jacked the car up properly on frame, went underneath and checked the connections. No severed connections. Checked belt and it looked frayed. Alternator has not been changed since I had car in 2012.
>>
>>1209617
After I take cables off and tighten them the car will run "normal" with a/c for a few days and then go to the weird power fluctuations of 12 to 15. It's done it three times now
>>
>>1209457
Alright, probably going to read up on it
>>
consider replacing the voltage regulator. also, battery cables don't like being moved on and off a lot. make sure you grease them up with dielectric, vaseline, or something like axel grease on the shiny lead surface after you wire brush them, and you'll keep a good connection for a long time.
>>
>>1208825
4.0 uses a generator, not alternator. And it's controlled by the heeps compooter.
also, radio surge? whut? mean RPM mebby?
That is the idle air control IAC passage in the throttle body. Little opening you can see above the valve. idle heep, spray some O2 sensor safe throttle body cleaner in there, give it some gas to keep from stalling, repeat, repeat, repeat.
>>
>>1208849
An alternator can show voltage and have no amperage. Requires more than just a voltage check
>>
>>1210175
WRONG....NEXT
>>
Check the positive cable connections at both ends. Make sure it hasn't melted against the exhaust of rubbed thru somewhere and it grounding...check all cables for corrosion and tightness. Do the simple free, cheapest things first. An alterantor can show voltage and still be bad. Take it off and have it checked at the parts store if everything else looks good
>>
Old jeeps are junk
>>
>>1210199
haha.. says the person that knows fuck all about jeeps.
>>
>>1210215
>haha.. says the person that knows fuck all about jeeps.

are you the guy up there who says late 90s jeeps have generators instead of alternators? do they have flathead engines too?
>>
>>1210215
worked on them for years...in the old days they were built using ford, chevy and dodge parts and they were JUNK. What would some punk know about old jeeps?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.