[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asbestos in carpet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_20170712_123601.jpg (1MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170712_123601.jpg
1MB, 2160x3840px
How does one determine if there is asbestos in a project they are working on? I really need some advice here, so if you see this and know anything about this I would appreciate some advice.

My parents asked me to pull up the carpet in our dining room, since we know that there is nice hardwood underneath. The carpet has been ruined by our dog over the last 10 years and it needs to go.

I started pulling it up and it dawned on me that there might be asbestos in the carpet or the padding. I don't know how old the carpet is. The house was built in 1969 and the hardwood floor is presumably original, but the carpet isn't as old. I would guess it could be as new as 2000 or as old as the 80s.
So now I have a half pulled-up carpet right by the front door. I don't know if I should get anything tested or how I would even go about doing that. If there is asbestos, then it has presumably already been released into the air. If there isn't then I should just grab a shop vac and finish the job now. Wat do?
>>
File: IMG_20170712_123621.jpg (2MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170712_123621.jpg
2MB, 2160x3840px
here's another pic. I can take more of anything if anyone needs to see more. I really need to be sure of this before I risk my respiratory system.
>>
>>1208092
You already started?
Well your fucked then I guess.
Use a suitable mask if you are worried, ideally a zoot suit and plastic lining on the walls too. Well,I mean ideally get it tested and removed by a certified contractor but I guess you knew that right?
>>
>>1208090
Try to set it on fire.
>>
>>1208109
This! Use gasoline to make sure. Report back. Post pics.
>>
>>1208106
>>1208109
>>1208112
There isn't usually asbestos in carpet or carpet padding, right? Everything on the internet says that there is rarely asbestos in carpet fiber or padding, and there doesn't really seem to be any glue or mastic holding it down.
>>
>>1208114
Asbestos was used as an early flame retardant. It did ok, but flame retardant materials got much better.
A white short carpet like that looks very 90s to me, not pre 70s

Also you obviously care about your lungs, asbestos is NOT the only dangerous thing for your lungs.
The sort of dust dirt and other horse shit sitting in or under carpet like that can scratch up and hurt your lungs too.

Get a lot of air flowing in your house and wear a decent dust mask at least.
>>
>>1208116
alright, I'll go buy a p100 mask before I continue. Is a shop vac enough to clean up dust?
>>
>>1208090
Asbestos was widely used as a thermal insulant. Asbestos is basically a rock but its microstructure is composed of very fine hairs. Not only am I wondering how anyone would insert asbestos into a carpet but why?
Is say the carpet is low risk but if thats not sufficient assurance then ask youself what measures you would take to ensure the carpets removal if you knew for certain it did contain asbestos ( why you don't).
First seal the room containing the carpet. Get plastic sheets and duct tape and close all the openings. For the doorway create an airlock. Into this airlock get a hose connected to fawcet so you can wash yourself down in the airlock.
Form a gulley in the floor of the airlock and pipe this to an external yard drain.

Get a paper suit and rubber but and gloves. Duct tape all the sleeves of suit to gloves and boots. Get a respirator and duct tape edges to hood of paper suit.
Go through the airlock and pull hose with you. Shour ready to someone on the fawcet and sprinkle the carpet with water. This will soak th carpet and minimise airborne particles.
Go in there with plastic sacks, and leave same number of plastic sack in the air lock.
Cut up wet carpet and place in sacks. When you are done wash down the sacks with hose then place sacks in airlock.
Double bag the sack in the airlock and tie up tightly.
Once carpet is removed go back in room and wipe off all surfaces with soapy wet paper towels. Double bag all the towels same as carpet.
When all is done step into airlock and wash yourself down with hose and wash inside of airlock.Double bag the suit boots and mask.

Not sure about regulations in states, here in UK if you are professional asbestos removal company its serious business but you are private deeply paranoid :), individual so dispose of bags as safely as you can.
>>
>>1208090
Have you been grinding it into a fine powder and breathing it in for the last 40 years? If not I think you'll be ok.

Based on the color and style that carpet can't be more than 20 years old, stop being a faggot and get that old nasty shit out.

Also, fuck any who covers hardwood.
>>
>>1208126
>Also, fuck any who covers hardwood.
this
>>
>>1208114
Bingo cowboy. Just rip it out and don't fiddle around. You'll be fine. Yes, you may well breath dust particles, just like you are right now, but your body will AMAZINGLY flush them out. Don't be a weirdo faggot. Just pitch the nasty shit and get on with life.
>>
>>1208126
>>1208142
you don't understand, it is to protect the hard wood
>>
>>1208090
asbestos is used for creating hard surfaces and carpets are made flexible
so logic tells me it is no asbestos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvEkc8cvNzY
>>
>>1208090
A little asbestos never harmed anyone, use some kind of paper filter mask if you're worried, maybe just a piece of cloth.
>>
>>1208145
No it's not, they put ugly grey carpeting over a nice(I hope) hardwood floor. It will look a lot better once we get this out. They put fucking staples into the floor and used a little adhesive to stick it down.
>>
File: IMG_20170712_143030.jpg (2MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170712_143030.jpg
2MB, 2160x3840px
>>1208151
forgot pic
>>
>>1208152

That's some interesting wood, anon. Based on the tack strips it looks like the hardwood is about an inch or inch and a half wide. Maybe that was common at one time, but it's rare to see it around here (NC) if I ever have even seen it.

You can remove all that carpet shit and refinish the floor if all of it is as nice as what is exposed so far.

While you're at it get rid of that poverty level baseboard. Not even a shot of black would cover that nasty shit. (Just kidding, unless you're redoing the whole house, keep the trim as is)
>>
>>1208152

you're retarded if you think there's asbestos. tear the shit out and have the floors refinished and you won't see any staples. this will cost you 3-5$ sq ft
>>
>>1208145
You're an idiot if you really think that and are not baiting. People need publicly flailed for carpeting hardwood flooring.
>>
>>1208171
Its way cheaper than refinishing or replacing it. And carpet feels nice.
>>
>>1208175
>And carpet feels nice.

That depends. If it's a main room, you will be coming in with mud caked on your boots and in that case it's a lot easier for the cleaning woman to mop up rather than have to clean the carpet.
>>
>>1208177
>tfw there is carpet leading to the front,back, and garage doors in my house.
Its actually really annoying in terms of keeping it clean. But I have a smaller house that doesnt really have a nice place for pathways to the doors.
>>
>>1208177
umm why would you enter the house with your boots?!
>>
>>1208185
do you leave them outside? You have to put them in the closet or somewhere like that
>>
>>1208157
Yeah, I checked and it's 1 1/2". Is that uncommon? I'm in AR and all our hardwood is that size.
Also, I forgot that part of the hardwood was removed after we moved in. There are a few square feet where it's just plywood. Is it hard to stagger in new boards? I will have to refinish it, but I will do that anyways.
>>
File: entry.jpg (37KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
entry.jpg
37KB, 600x449px
>>1208214
>>
File: britain_2344hh42.jpg (3MB, 4955x1890px) Image search: [Google]
britain_2344hh42.jpg
3MB, 4955x1890px
>>1208217

those people are all lined up perfectly.
>>
>>1208157
>...not even a shot of black...

The meme lives. Well played Anon.
>>
>>1208215
all our hardwood flooring in the house I mean
>>
>>1208090
Theres no fucking asbestos in that carpet.

Source: I'm an asbestos consultant in the UK for last 13 years.
>>
File: salem-witch-trials.jpg (160KB, 640x458px) Image search: [Google]
salem-witch-trials.jpg
160KB, 640x458px
>>1208444
>>
>>1208090
I renovated one of my rentals just. It had a fuck ugly plastic mat as floor, under it sat a strange tar-like mat. And under that proper hardwood. I ripped of the plastic mat(s) and solved the asbestos problem by just pretending that there is no such substance!

Fooling yourself is easier than doing asbestos work.

And as an extra. Shit that is really disgusting.
-Carpeted floors.
-Walking indoors with boots on. Seriously, who the fuck does shit like that?

Extra disgusting.
-Walking indoors with you boots on on carpet!
>>
>>1208444
ok, thanks m80. I've continued tearing it up. And I don't think there's adhesive anywhere either.
>>
>>1208090
>there might be asbestos in the carpet or the padding.
Why would there be? Why would you think there would be?
>>
It doesnt matter. If you ever worked in a coal mine you might get black lung. Cotton plant, cotton lung. Asbestos, etc.

Everyone else it's pretty much a non issue even though odds are yo are breathing coa, dust cotton fibers and asbestos right now.
>>
>>1210381
The difference is that once you stop working in those places your vhances start to fall.
Asbestos exposure is different. Every fibre you inhale buys more tickets for the mesothelioma lottery.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.