[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Keeping my apartment cool and money in the bank.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: dave.png (144KB, 259x290px) Image search: [Google]
dave.png
144KB, 259x290px
I live in a small one bedroom apartment. Upstairs unit. 2 windows that slide sideways (not up and down like normal windows) and a sliding deck door. All windows and deck door face the east. Basic window blinds on the 2 windows and thick blinds on the deck door.
The ac takes its sweet ass time to cool the place down. Have 2 Lasko fans that help a lot.

Thinking about getting curtains for the windows but don't know what kind I should get. Any other things I can do to keep cool?

Inb4 foil on the windows or any trashy shit.
>>
>>1207704
>Thinking about getting curtains for the windows but don't know what kind I should get.
Anything that's both thick and white. White will reflect the sunlight (and heat), and the thicker it is the less sunlight will "bleed" through.
>>
Yeah, you want professional grade curtains. I got some made for my townhouse by Lincraft (not sure if they do them anymore - this was over a decade ago).

Anyway, you need the curtains that have "blackout lining". This is a thick coated material that is stitched against the thin curtain fabric.

I'm also thinking that if you have access to the roof space you could shove a heap of pink batts in there?
>>
>>1207704
>Apartment
>not making an air conditioner out of the toilet tank, some copper/rubber hose and a box fan
its not that hard.
>>
>>1207704
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Td5uMB_vQ&t=3s
>>
>not using an exhaust fan to steal cold air from your neighbors

I haven't used my air conditioner in years. Step your game up, m8.
>>
>>1205715
Curtains let light in. You want to reflect the light back outside before it gets inside.
>>
Vertical blinds unless they are too trashy for you
>>
>>1207716
Thank you
>>1207716
Sounds like its out of my budget and no I dont
>>1207834
That's what I have for my sliding deck door.
>>1207784
Doesn't work in this building.
>>1207753
Hmm....... no
>>1207762
And no
>>
Drinking tons of ice water will allow you to keep the thermostat 3-4 degrees hotter than you can stand otherwise.

I usually just fill up my trucker mug with ice water and drink until I feel hypothermic, then repeat as necessary.
>>
>>1207877
I drink a shit ton of cold water from the fridge everyday. Besides today because I caught my gfs cold so now I'm drinking hot green tea.
>>
Don't you fucking dare post that man in here
>>
>>1208023
It seems like he's got you really... TORN DOWN.
>>
>>1207889
>gf
Reeeeeeeee
>>
Tape aluminium foil to the underside of your window blinds. Shiny side towards the sun. Normally blinds act like heaters, on sunny days they are 50 - 60 C. With foil no more than 30 C.
>>
If you have two windows opposite one another (even if in other rooms) then open both up and put a fan on one to get a cross breeze going. It'll cool the place down.
Also, fill your bathtub up with cold water and ice, and let it fucking sit overnight with the cross breeze going. It'll significantly reduce the temperature.
I had NO ac in my car during a Chicago summer one year, so one thing I can suggest is a wet towel on the back of your neck or strapped to your head. Have a fan blowing on the towel, and then the towel acts like a heatsink making you effectively a water cooled meat computer. Fun!
>>
>>1208616
>Inb4 foil on the windows or any trashy shit.
>>
>>1207716
>>1207875
Wrong you want thin black curtains
>>
>>1208783
Why?
>>
>>1208783
http://www.consumerreports.org/energy-efficiency/beat-the-heat-with-window-coverings/

From the article:
>Curtains and drapes.

>On summer days, keep your curtains closed. "Particularly on the side of the house or apartment where the sun is coming in," says Allen Drury, a representative of Con Edison.

>The ability of curtains and drapes to reduce heat gain depends on fabric type (closed or open weave) and color. Studies show that medium-colored draperies with white plastic backings can reduce heat gain by 33 percent, according to the DOE. Hang the curtains as close to the window as possible. For maximum effect, install a cornice at the top of the draperies, seal the draperies at the sides, and overlap them in the middle using Velcro or tape.
>>
File: eevlog FA profile pic.jpg (42KB, 611x1024px) Image search: [Google]
eevlog FA profile pic.jpg
42KB, 611x1024px
>tfw you find EEVlog's fetish account
>>
>>1210781
please tell me that's not him
>>
>>1212148
Unfortunately, it is.
>>
>>1207704
I can hear his fucking obnoxious garbage-pile accent just by looking at that pic.

One time I heard him say the word "no" and it somehow had 5 syllables and ended with the letter R.
>>
>>1210781
jesus h christ, it's been a long time since i recoiled this hard
>>
>>1210781
>Once again the internet tells me things I don't need to know. /thread
>>
File: dragonball z hercule.jpg (39KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
dragonball z hercule.jpg
39KB, 512x384px
>>1210781

DELETE THIS
>>
>>1212152

You lie, this can't be fucking real.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.