[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sun Roof

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: 0b8c2c73512e34a43f53234b9d427d72.jpg (399KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
0b8c2c73512e34a43f53234b9d427d72.jpg
399KB, 1920x1080px
I have a 1997 Dodge Stratus. Is it possible to add a sun roof? Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>1207685
Yes
>>
>>1207685
No
>>
>>1207685
Maybe
>>
>>1207685
Yeah. Depends on your skills.. And how fancy you want it.
>>
Cut a hole in it
>>
>>1207685
Yes, you use a knife and cut a shape in the roof, and then buy a piece of glass or cut it from a windshield then put it in place with some fiber glass bolts
>>
So you want a dodge stratus with a sunroof huh? First off you need to sell that car for 500 bucks.
Step two. Take said 500 bucks and buy a stratus that has a sunroof! Voila! Now you have a stratus with a sunroof!
In all honesty op, it's not worth it. Chances are you will make a sunroof that leaks and looks terrible as I take you have never done any body work on a car. You can get kits, but they never seal right and they always look terrible and have no way to block the sun.
Not trying to be a dick but I wouldn't try it
>>
>>1207785
harbor freight sawzall is about $ 25, that's less than $ 500, add $5 if you want the premium Lenox blade
>>
>>1207685
THERE IS NO WAY ON FUCKING EARTH TO /diy/ A CAR SUNROOF THAT WONT LEAK, NONE. ANYONE WHO CLAIMS OTHERWISE IS A LYING TROLL WORKING FOR 3rd PARTY SUNROOF SELLERS. DO NOT DO THIS, UNLESS YOU LIVE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING GOBI DESERT, IN WHICH CASE, IT WILL LEAK SAND.
>>
>>1207799
>ignoring the rest of the post

Please, use a sawzall and post results. Kek.
>>
>>1207685
I dont know
>>
>>1207804

What's with all the snarky desk jockies on /diy/?

A sawzall or angle grinder like pic related is fine. This is my dad putting a sunroof in our car and it works fine and has never leaked.
>>
File: Buildex-Poly-Teks-172.jpg (115KB, 1485x973px) Image search: [Google]
Buildex-Poly-Teks-172.jpg
115KB, 1485x973px
>>1207802
Ah, but you're so wrong. Get yourself some of pic related, get some plexi/lexan/plate glass (for the bold), pre drill your holes in the roof and play a game of connect the dots with some premium silicone sealant. Lay the new hole covering, let the silicone set a little, run the screws down. Done.
>>
>>1207685
>bought a car back in 2008
>has a sunroof
>tested it once and it worked
>literally have not opened it a single time since

You jelly, OP?
>>
>>1207685
It's possible to add a sunroof to just about any car. Does it turn out well? Almost never.
>>
>>1207964
Are you a troll or retarded?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1396536-jailbar-woody-wagon.html

That's not a sunroof conversion, and I'm just as certain that's not your dad.
>>
>>1207802
Nah man. I would throw a sunroof in anything with a thick ass beat of right-stuff and not even bolt it down.
>>
>>1208294
What a fag.

Sunroofs are awesome
>>
File: GtqBxvN[1].jpg (932KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
GtqBxvN[1].jpg
932KB, 1536x1024px
>>1208461
>not a sunroof
anons father here is the spiritual father of us all here anon
>>
File: IMG_3036.jpg (40KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3036.jpg
40KB, 443x332px
>>1207802
But thats the thing, why just leak? When you can go full leak?
>>
File: IMG_3243.jpg (21KB, 545x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3243.jpg
21KB, 545x270px
>>1207964
Related to this photo, does anyone have a hitachi angle grinder? My dads bosch one had the capacitor explode in my face and destroy the housing, been without one for a couple weeks now.
Dont need much, just a bog standard 5 incher. Only really use it to cut off bolts and rebar, and clean rust off shit. Doesnt need to be anything fancy, but it does need to outlive me.
>>
>>1208685
I don't, but Makita make excellent grinders as do Metabo. I maintained both for a welding school and they are tough.
>>
File: mid march 062.jpg (554KB, 1728x1152px) Image search: [Google]
mid march 062.jpg
554KB, 1728x1152px
>>1208678

Here's that same truck at the present. He hopes to be finished by about next summer.

The guy lives on an island in Washington State, makes money doing custom woodwork, loves these old Ford trucks.
>>
>>1207685
No
Be content with your place in life
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=i+drive+a+dodge+stratus&view=detail&mid=029517E23DA15F56908D029517E23DA15F56908D&FORM=VIRE
>>
>>1208681
:O baby truck!
iz a qt!
a cuteeee!
>>
>>1208417
This anon speaks the truth. Add-on sunroofs were all the rage a couple of decades past. They always leaked. Keep in mind that:

1.) the roof is part of the structure of the car
2.) the ribbed bits in the roof are definitely an important part of the structure of the car

So don't just go sawz-alling like a crazed fool.

Also,
3.) Cars bounce up and down and vibrate and twist in normal operation
4.) Manufacturers test, test, test, rain, sun, rain, snow, hot, cold, under all kinds of twisting and bouncing

So your shitty design with a piece of lexan and some home depot silicone caulk is going to be about as waterproof as standing outside naked in a rainstorm without so much as a hat on.

I'm not trying to discourage you from DIY. Just know that some things are outside your reach of doing well unless you are god-tier, in the real world, not just your mind.
>>
>>1211332
Why do anons keep saying it will leak, then other anons claim that you can seal it with X products? Every sunroof ever leaks, yes, even from the manufacturer. You can't seal something that is going to move that much, that's stupid. Is that really what the aftermarket tries to do? Because that's really beyond stupid. What you do is catch the water that comes around the edges in a gutter like design and then run plastic tubes from these gutters underneath the interior, down the a pillar and b pillar for a drain in the rear of it. From there, cars differ in design, some emptying the water into door jams, some going out to the fender/quarter panels. I very much doubt anyone in this thread is capable of doing it diy, but I do believe it's possible
>>
>>1207802
i feel like there a story to share, anon...
>>
>>1207685
Yes, if you want it to leak.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.