[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cast iron

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 10_inch_SQUARE_BAR-01.jpg (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
10_inch_SQUARE_BAR-01.jpg
21KB, 400x400px
My parents house was built in the 1920s. A lot of things are cast iron. They have a drain in the laundry room that has split in two. My father who is frugal doesn't was to buy a new one and welding is out of the question (due to price)
what would be the easiest and cheapest solution. The image is similar to what broke. Going to work in an hour so I wont be able to respond until tomorrow morning
>>
>>1207661

If it's not too much trouble post pics of the actual part where we can see the damage.

Cast iron can be hard to deal with. Some welder guys say you can't weld it but I think you can weld or braze or something.

JB weld might be the solution depending on how it broke. If a long straight section cracked then you can put another piece of iron or steel on the back where it is not visible and then the JB weld is not dealing with a weak butt joint but rather a long lap joint.

Is this something that people walk on? If so what is underneath? Pictures help with that too.

Details details details.
>>
>>1207661
go buy a grill cooking grate and cut to size with an angle grinder

also killllllllllll yourrrrrrrrrrrselfffffffffff fffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaggot
>>
>>1207684
>also killllllllllll yourrrrrrrrrrrselfffffffffff fffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaggot

is there a school where you learn how to do this?

is it a subreddit? a tumblr page?

It looks complicated yet simple at the same time. I might try it on a low-traffic thread, maybe early in the morning.
>>
>>1207693
Do it like i do on /diy/, find the shittiest thread on page 10 and bump it back to the front
>>
>>1207661
mechanically fix with countersunk set screws through the grille into 2 pieces of steel running at 90 deg to direction of grille
>>
>>1207714
Steel. In a drain. No.

Are these bell traps (that need to stay filled with water to keep the stink out)? I found some at Ace Hardware for my 1940s vintage house. I recall they were under $20.

Also you can braze cast iron, or maybe you can find a local shop that will do it for not much money. There are blacksmiths around my area who could do this for you.

Nothings free, though.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.