[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Removable fasteners in wood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Hey guys, I had a question about mounting stuff into exterior wood. I was going to ghettorig some window protection grates (for hurricanes) out of some scrap wood panels I have. My question is what's the best way to mount these so that:

>Whatever mount I use doesn't rust
>Whatever mount I use doesn't rot
>Whatever mount I use is reusable

I was thinking of just screwing L shaped stainless steel (316) brackets onto the sides, but then wasn't sure what fastening solution to use to actually put the whole grate assembly into the wood frame. Any ideas?

Pic vaguely related
>>
>>1207524
101 ways of making sure the neighborhood hates your spic ass.

Number one, install iron bars over windows.

>just install plywood over your windows when the need arises. Or better yet get better home insurance to have your windows replaced for free if something does kool-aid threw them.
>>
>>1207527
Maybe if you didn't have spic level reading comprehension you wouldve noticed that the project is for removable wooden panels during hurricanes.
>>
No metal is going to be a perfect solution, even galvanised or stainless can be affected by some types of timber, but your best bet for both minimising timber to metal contact and anchoring the fasteners as well as possible is to use epoxy. Go to the West System Epoxy site and read their stuff about embedding fasteners.
>>
>>1207524
stainless plates with a hole for a nut welded to the backside(to be left installed). holes around the nut so you can secure it to the side of the building. use a router to have clearance behind the nut. then mount your wood covers to the window with bolts to the stainless plate
>>
>>1207545
That's pretty much the exact system I was thinking about. Does it make sense to install some sort of internally threaded sleeve for the bolt in the window frame or is that unnecessary in your opinion?
>>
>>1207545
Also why not just glue washers around the bolt holes in the frame instead of paying for bracket plates?
>>
>>1207550
>Does it make sense to install some sort of internally threaded sleeve for the bolt in the window frame or is that unnecessary in your opinion?
that's the point of the welded nut on the backside of the plate

>>1207554
and yeah, big washers with holes for mounting screws on the perimeter would be easier than some custom cut plates
>>
>>1207568
As a follow up to this do you know where I can find a washer with ears for screw holes or a 3 holed bracket? I'm having a lot of trouble.
>>
>>1207524

>Burglar bars
>Fasteners on the outside

Even if you weld them they can easily use a crow bar to overcome the strength of the concrete from the outside. Where as fastening on the inside makes it much more difficult
>>
>>1207662
If the hurricane figures out how to remove screws, we're in a whole lot of trouble.
>>
>>1207637
>As a follow up to this do you know where I can find a washer with ears for screw holes or a 3 holed bracket? I'm having a lot of trouble

sorry no idea, i'd probably diy it

id buy fender washers (they have larger diameters for smaller inner holes) and nuts, and make a jig to do the screw hole pattern
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.