[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blacksmithing/building a forge?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: blacksmith.jpg (23KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
blacksmith.jpg
23KB, 852x480px
So I've decided to build a blacksmith forge for the purpose of making swords, axes, knives and various other things. I have an anvil, some hammers and an old hand powered air crank lying around from way back when my great-grandfather did blacksmith/farrier work. I intend to make the forge out of a double sink by cutting one sink for the forge and the other sink for a hotbox.

Does anyone have any experience blacksmithing and has anyone ever made a forge? I'm learning a whole lot of techniques by watching YouTube videos and I'm pretty confident I can do this well.
>>
>>1207352
Knock yourself out anon. I buikt a trailer mounted foundry.

Was gonna try the reil style burners. I hear good things and they cheap
>>
>>1207367
Kast-o-lite 3,000 or kaowool unless u wanna throw an old brake rokor in the sink
>>
I built a brake rotor forge, with a small electric fan. Don't go too deep for the fire box and buy good coal.
>>
>>1207385
Can you take some pictures of it? Not OP but I was thinking I wanted to build a coal forge and am looking for ideas as well.
>>
>>1207390
http://blacksmithingtutorials.com
>>
If you're using propane you MUST coat the high temp wool or you'll get silicon in your lungs. You do not want to get fucked up like that. My friend's dad died from silicosis and it was brutal.
>>
>>1207936
Or you could skip the kaowool and use straight firebrick and refractory cement.
>>
>>1207367
Reil burners are great for foundry work, but remember the magic number 450. That the number of BTUS that are needed per cubic inch of foundry/forge volume. A 3/4 inch Reil sidearm burner will produce about 150,000 BTU at 30 psi fuel output but you want it lower, so adjust your chamber accordingly.
>>
>>1208261
Ever tried that? There are reasons the pros favor kaowool on their propane forges instead of firebrick. If you're nice to me I might even tell you what that reason is.
>>
>>1208398
I sure do, waste heat, chamber radiation and insulation. Then again, a coating of ITC100 over refractory cement beats kaowool. But since you're such a pro, I'm sure you already knew that.
>>
>>1208408
I was also talking about time to heat up, but I'm sure you knew that...
>>
>>1208409
I said that. Insulation.

Again ITC100 is superior when you're talking about quick firing a large chamber because it reflects 90+% of the radiant energy that would otherwise be absorbed by the firebrick liner (or cement, if you went with that.) Kaowool helps limit the required thickness for the walls of the forge.

The only real benefit of the traditional kaowool lined forge is cost, since refractive coatings are usually about $80 a pint.
>>
>>1208264
I never tried one yet bit good info.

Built a kwiky burner for my foundry and might jist use it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.