[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

I want to refurbish this old-ass sewing machine that I have,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (339KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
339KB, 800x600px
I want to refurbish this old-ass sewing machine that I have, but I don't want to rebuild the entire thing.
The existing grease on all the mechanical parts is old. Really old. It's also dirty as fuck (not my sewing machine but pic related).
I want to strip and re-lubricate all of the mechanical parts, what would be my best option? Is there something that I can shoot in there that'll just eat away all the grease that it hits, that I can remove without causing rust?
I just shot brake cleaner + goo gone in there, washed it out with water and immediately followed with WD-40 to stop rust, and then re-greased it with Aluminum grease but I feel like I could do better.
>>
>>1207337
I wouldn't take it apart, just clean in place. Use some 3 in 1 out better yet kroil as a cleaning solution. When you are done some light gear should keep it moving smooth, but a lot of those joints aren't meant for grease but rather oil, try to dig up the owner's manual, it covers everything. I refurbed a 1923 singer and it works pissah now, my sewing skills otih need work
>>
>>1207343
I'm pretty surprised that the gears wouldn't need grease... The existing gears certainly seemed greased as fuck, perhaps that's why it was so gunked up if that wasn't intended.
If I were to use Kroil, how would I get it out? It seems like that stuff eats at oil, then stays. Wouldn't it fuck up any new lubricant that I shot in there?
Sorry for the noob questions, I know almost nothing about mechanics.
>>
>>1207337
DONT TAKE ANYTHING APART.

The timing on sewing machines is almost fucking impossible to set without special tools. Wheel bearing grease from any automotive shop and forget about it for the next 50+ years.

Dont worry about dirt and shit getting in the grease. Old machines are made like tanks. WW2 surplus steel. Some of the WW2 tank factories were bought by Singer and used to make sewing machines.
>>
>>1207375
I had to replace one of the gears so it's too late for that

I absolutely had to get some of the gunk out, the machine would randomly run faster/slower and was making terrible grinding noises. It still grinds a little bit but the majority of the issues are fixed.

I do need to fix the timing. I got it to where the thread catches for bobbin winding, but it no longer stitches. Adjusting the timing isn't too hard though, it's just two screws that hold in a gear that you loosen and then adjust from there.
>>
>>1207375
I hadn't tried since the first time, but I did about 1/2 an hour ago and now the timing is fixed. Works even better than before.
>>
>>1207337
Don't use automotive grease or bearing Grease on sewing machine parts. Automotive Grease contains petroleum's that could cause any nylon Bakelite or brass parts to fail prematurely or oxidized. Sewing machine grease is a thing for a reason so you should use it for its reason.. Buy a bottle off Amazon.

----

>Also you're one dumb fucker if you think sewing machine timing is hard.
>>
>>1207530
Thanks for the tip, I'm picking some up. It looks like only a single gear is non-steel so even if I end up messing it up it won't be too bad to replace.

Also if that was directed at me, I don't think it was terribly difficult.
>>
>>1207532
Wasn't directed at you.. Was directed at the guy who said it was.
>>
>>1207337
kerosene is the best if you don't mind the stink.

lighter solvents like gasoline and brake cleaner will cut into new-ish grease, but they don't seem to attack the really old hairy waxy crap the way kero does.
>>
>>1207337
Buy some damn sewing machine oil, strip it of that grease its not made for it
>>
>>1207755
Righto, it's being delivered soon.
Should I really only have oil, nothing else, even for the main drive shaft(s)? It seems like those parts would benefit from something more than relatively thin oil, and the machine came with grease on those bits (with lots of string, fluff, and other bullshit stuck in the teeth)

>>1207747
I'm wary of anything that's a super-strong solvent, I get the feeling that there might be plastic bits hiding somewhere since I can see at least one bakelite gear. That, and the fact that it still has original paint which is chipping around the corners.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.