[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redneck boat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_0062.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0062.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
So, I'm building this boat and it's a pain. As of right now I have that pink foam that you use for insulation as the pontoons. The problem is that is doesn't have near enough boyancy. It's about neutral right now as in it will float on its own but as soon as you add weight it starts to sink. Anyone here have any ideas as to how I can give this thing a LOT more boyancy, I want it to float with me and another person and our fishing gear. It also has the deck boards on it which I'll take pic of here in a bit.
>>
File: IMG_0063.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0063.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Another pic
>>
>>1207075
lurk craigslist and buy some of the big blue water barrels. seal them with epoxy and tie under your frame. also rebuild your frame from wood.

buy a marine net and fill with empty water/ soda/ plastic bottles. tie the net filled with empty bottles under your frame. also rebuild your frame from wood.

buy some canvas and grommet kit. buy more foam. layer foam 8 thick, wrap in canvas, install grommets to cinch it all together like a shoelace and tie to your frame. also rebuild frame from wood.
>>
>>1207085
Why rebuild frame from wood? What benefits do I get other than structural integrity which isn't too bad right now? It's pretty sturdy. I thought about those blue barrels though. Either that or adding a shit ton of foam to to the pontoons and making them a whole foot taller. I'll fiberglass them eventually but the resin is pricey for the good stuff
>>
>>1207089
can you imagine picking the boat up and setting it in the water, boating, then pulling the boat out of the water wet. can you imagine the tubing flexing and twisting. can you imagine the tubing cracking and filling with water. can you imagine floating down a creek and cracking into a submerged tree or rock. its brittle and will get more brittle with UV damage.
>>
>>1207094
Welp, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Before I drop more money in a new wood frame id like to see it float.
>>
>pls halp
Here, this will help
>no fuk u
Every time
>>
File: IMG_0064.png (108KB, 500x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0064.png
108KB, 500x451px
>>1207120
I wasn't saying fuck you, his words are legitimate and they have been noted in the back of my mind. The thing is a wooden frame won't make it float. Which is the reason for the post. I'm not building a speed boat. Just something drift along the grass flats lazily while ripping some lips.
>>
55 gal barrels give about 450lbs of boyancy or "lift". They'll sink proportanally to the weight you put on it so 225lbs will sink a barrel about halfway. Just keep adding barrels till you get enough "lift"
>>
>>1207142
Buoyancy is going to cause force upwards, and your frame can't handle it.

So,
build frame from wood.
get blue barrels.
make boat.

Otherwise, you're going to have two halves of boat, and someone is going to have to rescue you. Someone like me.
>>
>>1207147
If I was going anywhere where the possibility of this junky boat sinking would require someone saving me I would just buy a boat. Also the force of the barrels pushing up on the boat is actually the force of gravity pulling the pvc pipe (along with anything on it) down and I've already done a jump test and it's still good. If I pinky promise to rebuild it out of wood can you just let it be??
>>
>>1207075

OP I'm undergoing almost the exact same project. Started with tanks/bottles, then went to storage bins, now using only 12" diameter pvc. The large pvc gives a lot of displacement relative to it's weight.
>>
>>1207085
but what would you use to build the frame?
>>
>>1207647
His hands, probably wielding tools.
>>
>>1207075
I'd agree with the first anon. Although you probably will be fine with that frame for now you defiantly want some big barrels full of air, anything with less density than water (although obviously if you find a propane tank full of helium the heavy shell with outweigh the gas.)
You might be able to use the 5 litre liquid soap bottles, you can normally find stuff like that out the back of shops and stores, (best ask if you can take them first though, 90% of the time they say yes.)
Maybe think about creating some sort of curved shell to go under each side thing of the frame.
Dunno what you could build it out of, maybe heated, curved than left to harden plastic made from cut up plastic bins or something.
Good luck anyway!
>>
Just spray a screen door with flex seal :^)
>>
Best results from boats usually come from starting with used old boats and radically modifying them.

Look at putting out riggers on a square back canoe and installing sails, or taking the lower third of a jetski and grafting it into a jon boat.

There is alot you can do, and buying 400 dollar boat is usually a great start and still very diy
>>
Not to mention there is the whole putting a wing on a inflatable boat with a air boat drive system, boom, flying boat
>>
Follow your dreams ~•~
>>
File: Prospp8.jpg (25KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
Prospp8.jpg
25KB, 350x263px
Level up son
>>
If you put a reserve water tank in a jonboat with jetski engine and tap it into the intake via large valve you can power over short stretches of land between bodies of water
>>
>>1207075
A boat.think of it like a bathtub every 100lbs of weight (including itself) needs 1 square foot of open inside to exchange for boyancey.

Yes 2 sq feet of space will float a normal sized human being.
>>
Buy an old kayak. $50 and done. By the time you buy enough foam yo do the job you could have bought new kayaks
>>
File: IMG_0316.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0316.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
im currently building a plywood boat and nearing the painting stage, but wtf paint do i use?

i live in a shit town with no actual paint store, hardware stores are all we have, and the idiots there have no idea if i can just use a high quality exterior paint
>>
>>1207075
Try this? Use big pvc pipes for floats
https://youtu.be/_f3xj4tzPiM
>>
>>1208827
It's actually closer to 62 lbs per cubic foot, also it's about 8 lbs of buoyancy per per gallon.

But yeah, OP. stop being lazy and do some simple fucking math. you need to displace enough water weight to actually support the structure, everything you plan to carry, and then double that to make sure everything stays well above water
>>
>>1210434
you obviously have epoxy ....the best paint is a twp part just like epoxy....coat and float man
>>
is burlap or even cotton sufficient for a skin-on-frame boat made by painting fabric with waterproof paint?

while nigger tier, would bathroom or exterior paint suffice, or do I need proper marine shellac?

>>1207075
make a concave hull like you see on literally every other boat

you can even make it out of the foam if you want, though it probably wont be too stronk. id recommend using plastic like the other anons are saying. blue barrels are the gold standard of nigger rig boats but ive hard of success with lashing empty pop bottles under a frame, though you need a fuckton of them
>>
>>1210499
burlap might be a pain to waterproof, big canvas sheets are pretty cheap and are ideal
>>
>>1207075
is it okay if it has lots of drag? if so then shove a buoy underneath it. that should displace a shit-ton of water.
>>
OP. My advice is ditch the foam.

Get galcanized conduit and a conduit bender from lowes.

Get old plastic 55 gallon drums.

People fliat decks on these things. I have seen it.
>>
>>1210631
>People fliet decks on those things
I would never fliet decks on one of those things
>>
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.