[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ventilation via carriage doors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

I am planning on converting my one car garage into a home gym/workshop space. In doing so, I plan to replace the (broken) electric slide up door with carriage doors (like pic related).

The problem is that I want a good way to get light and air into the garage without leaving the doors open. The garage has no windows or other doors, and while my area is generally safe I'm sure opportunists would steal things if I just left the doors open while I'm not in it. So what's an easy way to allow in light and ventilation without leaving the doors open?

I've thought about installing plexiglass windows but that is relatively pricey and they won't open, so no good for air. I've considered proper windows, but they are expensive and would make the project much more complex (I think, I've never built a window before). Maybe a gate behind the door or behind the top of a dutch door would work? Would really love thoughts/plans on this. Thanks in advance!

Dimensions of the doorway are about 88 inches wide and 75 inches tall. Garage itself is 8 feet by 18 feet. I have plenty of access to dimensional lumber, tools, and basic hardware, but I'd like to do the project as cheaply as I can.
>>
>>1206875
ReStore. Buy used windows for cheap. Do you care if they are single pane?
>>
>>1206890
By "ReStore" you mean the thing run by habitat for humanity? Are their windows in good shape? I looked at getting some old windows on craigslst but the kind of restoration they would need wasn't worth my time.

I don't care if they are single frame, but how much of a pain is it to put the windows in? Do I have to build a jamb? I was just thinking of doing a double basic, lightweight, board and batten door.
>>
>>1206891
Depends on your store. Most of the ones my store gets are from renovations. I'm out west so generally single pane, aluminum frame windows. Nothing wrong with them, just old, ugly, and poor thermal properties. I wouldn't bother with used wooden frame windows unless you know what you are doing or they are in very good shape. Scraping and painting is one thing but dealing with windows that won't slide or that are out of square is another.
>>
File: 1485062867006.jpg (445KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1485062867006.jpg
445KB, 1600x1200px
>>1206875
How about through-the-wall fans and...
>>
File: 1489836449050.jpg (12KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
1489836449050.jpg
12KB, 460x345px
>>1206875
>>1206920
... complementary intake vents?
>>
>>1206921
>>1206920
Not a bad idea. I've considered that. But the walls are stone and cinder, so cutting through would be a lot of work, and I don't know what impact that would have on potential resale.

What do you all think of my idea to put in a gate/grate behind the door or as part of the door? Something like recycle a piece of grate behind the top of a dutch door so there are three swinging components (bottom, top wood, top gate)?
>>
>>1207209
You have a pitched roof, right? Why couldn't you put these on either ends of the gables?
>>
I would go with a dormer vent instead. Really effective for attics.
>>
>>1207310
>>1207299
Flat roof. The garage is detached and it's basically a box open at the front. Walls are cinder and stone. Only openings are the front or would have to be cut through stone/cinder. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
>>
>>1207326
why not get doors where the windows open, and then get some fans and put them in the back?
>>
>>1207326
Huh. How about a fan through the roof and some vents on the doors?
>>
>>1207441
>>1207422
I think you guys missed my question. My question is how should I design the doors in a way that allows ventilation and won't be a huge hassle/cost? Buying ready made doors will be extremely expensive, so I want to build them. But I'm not sure what's a good way to put in windows or vents. For example, how difficult is it to build a window into a door and can you get good cheap windows? I couldn't find any good youtube videos or other resources on those questions, but installing a window in a wall seems like a lot more work than I want to do for a cheap garage door...
>>
>>1207557
With fucking windows of sort. How else asshole. You already know the answer. Go to lowes or home depot and look t
At the windows in the doors there. Get east snd west sliding windows and too small for a body as well as lock them open so far and youll be fine.

What else are you looking for? You csn also put ventillation in the roof as suggestted controlled for temperature.
>>
>>1206875
you can get doors and windows for very cheap at a "re-use" shop like a Habitat for Humanity store. that is if there is one in your area. I've got two near me and I see all kinds of doors and windows there all the time for very cheap.
>>
>>1207657
Didn't you already post this here >>1206890 or did you just not ready the fucking thread?
>>
>>1206875
For good ventilation you want inlets low, and outlets high, preferably at the peak of the roof. Hot air rises and so on, so this keeps the air flow moving up and out of the building.

If you can't do that, you really need fan or AC, because otherwise the air will simply sit.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.