[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions on buying a warehouse to kit out as a personal workshop/studio/living

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: warehouse.jpg (169KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
warehouse.jpg
169KB, 768x432px
Opinions on buying a warehouse to kit out as a personal workshop/studio/living space?
>>
>>1206812
>living space
Probably illegal where you live. The insulation will also probably be shit. Might not have hot water service or any water at all. Don't count on a sewer/septic either.

A used RV or trailer would be better and probably cheaper from a living standpoint. As a workspace, well, yeah, it will be good. It is kind of what they are intended for.
>>
>>1206814
>illegal
how would they know
>>
>>1206839
By watching traffic too/from the location. In all reality there isn't much they can/will do as long as you are maintaining the property correctly and not causing problems.
>>
>>1206864
>>1206839
This depends very much on where you live, whether you are renting or own the property (landlord is more likely to give you shit so that he won't catch any himself), and how anal the local authority is about things like zoning, etc. Best case, no one gives a shit and no one hassles you. Worst case you get taken to court, have to pay a huge fine, and then getting anything done ever again is a huge pain because they will scrutinize anything with your name on it.

Case in point, my dumbshit neighbor started work on a detached garage before pulling all the permits. When it got around to doing the paperwork they checked his site and found he had already put in the slab. They refused to issue him any permits and ordered him to pull up the slab. There was a lawsuit. He spent a shitton of time and money on it and lost. He had to pull up the slab of concrete on his own dime. When all was said and done he did it right and applied for the paperwork first... and they declined it. Off the books, he was told that they would never approve any of his permit requests because he tried to screw them over, so now it was their turn. He applied 4 more times over the course of 3 years and they declined him every time with some bullshit excuse. You ever hear of someone in Texas getting their permit to build a garage on their own land declined because of 'environmental impact'? Yeah, that is how bullshit it was.

Meanwhile, some places they don't even have zoning laws, building permits, anything like that, at all. When I wanted to put up a shed on my land in Podunk, CA they said thanks for the heads up, do whatever you like. No code requirements, no easements, no inspections. Next town over? Completely different story.
>>
>>1206877
>Meanwhile, some places they don't even have zoning laws, building permits, anything like that, at all. When I wanted to put up a shed on my land in Podunk, CA they said thanks for the heads up, do whatever you like. No code requirements, no easements, no inspections. Next town over? Completely different story.
It's like this all over Minnesota and Wisconsin as well. Really depends on if there's a big town near by or not.
>>
File: 54c7ef10bee1e_-_quik-house-lg.jpg (31KB, 460x360px) Image search: [Google]
54c7ef10bee1e_-_quik-house-lg.jpg
31KB, 460x360px
you could just build your own warehouse out of shipping containers
>>
>>1206997
nice house from Tron 2
probably the second best option afther finding a cheap warehouse
>>
Live in alabama, building code/inspections pretty much non-existent. Have property outside city limits, in county. No trespassing/beware of dog signs, no one bothers me. Put up prefab metal building as warehouse & office space. Office area has insulated stud walls, multiple "offices", full bath room facilities, and "breakroom" with full kitchen, plus central heat and air. Room to park RV inside (because naps are necessary) plus plenty of room for projects. No problems here. Good luck workshop bro.
>>
>>1206933
Building codes are to protect your neighbor more than you. If you live in bumfuck nowhere and you burn your house down because you're a retard, oh well you killed yourself and your family. In a densely occupied area, you might very well burn down your 2 neighbors houses too.

I live in Minnesota and have a "cabin" up north. The cabin is a steel pole building on a concrete slab. We park an RV in it when we go up. Works pretty well.
>>
are those shipping container homes probably the best option for low priced modular housing? not op but have been trying to see what my options are with plumbing and electrical 1-2 bedroom and thought id see what /diy/ was talking about. saw some cool looking things on alibaba. not sure the quality or how much shipping a home over seas would cost
>>
>>1207733
They are very much not. They are nice in very specific and limited circumstances. Generally, circumstances were they are nearly free to purchase, you can get materials (insulation, wiring, plumbing, etc) and very low cost, and you do all the work yourself. Or you are some rich hipster and cost isn't a concern. They will cost more to make livable than a standard single-wide mobile home and cost a lot more to move onto the site. Just accept the fact that you are too poor to be anything but trailer trash and buy one.
>>
>>1206814
Pull the RV into the warehouse, living accommodations solved and your out of site
>>
>>1206877
>When all was said and done he did it right and applied for the paperwork first... and they declined it. Off the books, he was told that they would never approve any of his permit requests because he tried to screw them over, so now it was their turn.

Anon. All he had to do was record that and have their asses and pocket books on a golden platter.

Not sure what it would fall under. Maybe racketeering or harassment. Either way anywhere in the USA that falls under some law.
>>
>>1207796
yeah was looking at some mobile homes and "tiny houses" as well. normal rv seems shitty cause you get a sub par toilet. i'm def not rich which was why i've been researching quite a bit before making a decision.
>>
>>1208055
You can find mobile homes for free on Craigslist semi-often, and in many areas if you hook it up to a tractor it qualifies as farm equipment and you aren't required to get special permits to move it. Granted they aren't always in livable condition, but it gives you a major head start with the electrical, plumbing, and vent systems. You can even find two and butt them right up next to each other for a low cost 2,000 sq foot 4+ bedroom living space.
>>
>>1208053
Even if he recorded it with video and audio, depending on location and situation it could be inadmissible due to lack of warrent, other party's consent, or if it was recorded outside of his personal or public property. Where I live you're not allowed to bring anything electronic into a government building unless you need it to survive(like an external insulin pump). Years ago I got turned away from city hall, trying to pay my waterbill because I forgot to take a 4gas monitor off my shirt. I think it'd be hilarious if he recorded something in a government building, proving they're treating him unjuslty, and then all that came from it was another fine.
>>
>>1207333
Same sort of thing in central Florida. The only time zoning cares about this sort of thing is if someone else does. Give no one a reason to want you gone, and you're golden.

>Don't make a PITA out of yourself
>Be friendly
>If you're surrounded with poorfags, be a little generous (just give token stuff or a few rides - don't be a doormat).
>If the area doesn't have poorfags, it's probably too well-to-do to tolerate this sort of thing! You want your neighbors to have trailers or old hick housing, not some fancy stuff where they'll be worried about muh propa'ty values.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.