[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help with Electric

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 81PcmLe8pHL._SL1500_.jpg (73KB, 342x607px) Image search: [Google]
81PcmLe8pHL._SL1500_.jpg
73KB, 342x607px
I currently grow indoors with HID lights, I want to convert to LED's to save the KW/h i use. I would like to use some of these small LED strips, but the power supply is "3A" and I'm going to need 3 of them atleast. Im using well above 1000W right now and only using about 12 amps as far as i can tell. I plugged a router in the same area, and tripped the GFCI. I dont think I can use this if they are using 3A to put out less than 75 watts each. I'd like to swap my HID to 1/2 the watts in LED, but i dont think i can even get 1/4 in LED without going up to 15A and starting a fire or something.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZYPPH9Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A36FEP9VDJCUWP&psc=1
>>
>12 amps

You're at the limit of a 15 amp breaker as the residential usage threshold for those breakers is 80%. Also a ballast on a gfci is prone to nuisance trips.

>3 A
Ya, sure on the 12 volt side. Not the 120 side. Turns into roughly 0.3 amps at 120 plus losses and conversion.

>tripped the gfci
Either you're on the limit or that thing is too noisy and u need a different plug. I'd say the former especially if you're running the hid ballasts on the same circuit.

Those little pussy strips are good for flowers not anything that takes real energy like tomatoes or weed. Personally I'd stick with HIDs v's expensive high output led setups unless you got the cash. It'll take some time to get an roi from an effective led setup. 1000w is 1 kwh or 24 kwh/day so you do the math when you look at the bill. If you can run the ballast on 240v you'll reduce your bill by half.

This is basic shit you can get off wiki. Lurk moar.
>>
>>1206788
Try using bigger lights

I've also been told that LEDS don't work but usually by the guys at he hydro store who want me to spend $700 on equipment I don't fucking need cause I only want to grow two plants at a time.
Nigger was like, it's not worth it man. I'm not trying to grow a fields worth.

Grasscity.com has a forum for first time growers as well as experienced, they can help you.

I have yet to venture into this because funds are low but soon I will.
>>
>>1206788
Also how tall is your set up? I was trying to do a super small one capping off the height at 4'
>>
>>1207058

Electrician here. This guy obviously an electrician as well, and hes 100% correct on every point. Including it being fucking stupid to switch to LED when you have HID
>>
who the hell cares about the amps the LEDs get?
Basically you have a breaker in your house that allows your HIDs to use 1kw, so they will also support your LEDs taking half of it.

12V * 15A = 180W
180W / 230V /80% (PSU Efficiancy)= ~1.05A going to your breaker

HIDs normally have around 100V, so 1000W would produce 10A on those lines, but

1000W /230V/80% =5.4A going to your breaker

If the LED PSU can take 15A, there is no risk involved.
>>
Also dude, LED's are slightly less Lumen output per watt than an HID. HID are super efficient but just burn out quicker. If you don't have reflectors around your bulb pointing at the plants I would recommend doing that instead of switching. All that shit that manufactors say are equivalent bulb replacements are usually not. If you want a lower power bill you probably won't get one.
>>
>>1207383
>tfw I use regular 4' LED shop lights from SAM's club because they are ultra cheap to buy and use.

I've never had a problem with my vegetables. I've learned that "grow lights" are really just a massive consumer scam. The benefits are negligible. My electric bill, for the lights, went from $200/month to fucking $15/month.
>>
>>1207510
It really depends on the plants. Go ahead and try growing tomatoes with the shitty Walmart led strips. It's never as vibrant and sweet. Same goes with weed and peppers.

Low energy lights are awesome for nurseries and low energy plants regardless of the method.

You can get high output leds but they're not worth the money unless you have other limitations and are hellbent on growing with a fat wallet.

>>1207383
Thanks man I appreciate it but I'm no electrician.
>>
>>1207058
>If you can run the ballast on 240v you'll reduce your bill by half.

Yeah, because power is metered by kAh, not by kWh...

But, yeah, no, LEDs aren't really at the point that they're great for high-output applications. They're close, but the only ones that can manage it cost a shitton, in terms of up-front cost. Stick with HID for the time being.
>>
>>1207058
Not by half, but you will save at 240 vs 120

Also the guage is smaller.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.