[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ventilation in loft conversion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

This might be a bit basic for here, but I don't know where to get any advice.

Will a good inline fan bring in enough fresh air to cool and ventilate the room?

I have had a loft conversion done and have moved my bedroom up there. There was planning issues from the start (the neighbours complained about the windows being added for some reason), so I only have one large velux window that also doubles as an emergency exit, but there is no other vents apart from a small exhaust in the ensuite.

If I added two inline fans facing the bed area and dressing area and a passive exhaust vent near the bathroom will I see some returns in cooling??

If not, does anyone have any advice other than air con. The refusal of planning also stated they would fight that as well.... And yes I will be wholly litigious if and when they go from any planning.
>>
File: Layout.png (10KB, 749x601px) Image search: [Google]
Layout.png
10KB, 749x601px
This is a quick shitty sketch of the room.

The green would be the powered inlines and the blue would be the passive exhaust
>>
>>1206600
The fuck are you talking about? Why does everyone on /diy/ want air conditioning without an A/C?

Just use ceiling fans or wall fans to circulate air. Otherwise, a portable unit is your only option for sub-outside temps. I'm assuming you can't put a window unit in an emergency window. If you don't have somewhere else in the "property" (cuckshack) to mount a minisplit external unit then you're out of options.

If you just want air movement those big blower fans will work, but they're loud and consume power like crazy. Plus, if you can install and vent it properly then you can do a minisplit.
>>
>>1206615
And just to clarify, I'm assuming you're talking about a draft inducer. Google that.
>>
>>1206616
>draft inducer
>fucking draft inducer
No, an inline fan. The thing that is pictured above. In place of a window it would bring in air from outside into the the unventilated room
>>
>>1206632
Ohh, so basically a draft inducer. Sure, bring 90° air in your room. Who cares. As I said, you will not get cool air unless you use A/C. Why would a fan make it cooler than outside?
>>
>>1206655

How can you not realize that when there's scorching sun outside buildings get hotter than the outside air?

Are you 12?
>>
>>1206600
Without return or makeup air it's pointless without an a/c.

/thread.
>>
>>1206665
Sure it gets hot, but ambient outside temps won't be more livable. You'll still be sweating in the summer and freezing in the winter. Do you think a fan will make it 70 degrees inside when it's 90 degrees outside? What are you, 12?
>>
>>1206603
i would put a single powered exhaust where you indicate, let it draw air from outside which i assume is colder or from the hall/stairs which again i assume is colder.

axial fans are breddy good at moving air, laundry rooms and showers etc require 10-20 whole room air volume changes every hour, that is every 6 mins the fan has sucked all air out of the room.

keep a keen eye on noise figures, moving that much air even if the fan is silent will create noise. larger duct might help, typically fans are 4inch (100mm) but plenty of 6inch 150mm duct kicking around.

also every single piece of duct you add adds resistance and will reduce the performance of the fan, most parts will list the impedance and fans will give you a performance curve to work it out.

i don't know about your layout, usually axial fans are set to suck air and laid out as far opposite as possible to points of leakage or ingress like windows, vents, doorways etc.
mount it high up to capture hot air.

thinking outside the box how well insulated is the room? does the window have a blind? is heat from the rest of the house contributing or is this room a greenhouse?
>>
>>1206690
>>1206711

If you don't have one fan for intake and one for exhaust it's fucking pointless. You'll just end up pressuring the room and burning power for nothing.

They don't even have to be the same size.
>>
>>1206707
When sped up yes
>>
>>1207060
you are a fucking retard. that is all there is to it.
>>
>>1207319
Whatever. You'll just have to learn the hard way like every other imbecile.

Have fun nigger.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.