[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modifying boots

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: 20170708_181432.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170708_181432.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Hello, how should I make these boots into an almost knee high length, like "colonial" boots or jackboots?
>>
Either putees or gaiters. You'll look quite close tothe "it's late in the war and there's no leather for full boots for expendables such as yourself" look.
>>
something like this, for example.
>>
>>1206232
Real jackboots are rather uncomfortable, I got to wear some at subzero temps when my platoons served as extras at a WWI reenactment. They're both massive and tight at the same time.
>>
File: cwboot5.jpg (35KB, 326x300px) Image search: [Google]
cwboot5.jpg
35KB, 326x300px
>>1206231
I have gaiters but they are worn the fuck out and currently in a shop for repair.

Is it too hard to ask for literally the epitome of boots? There is nothing better than one of these for the outdoors whether working for hiking with friends.

I wanna punch whoever came up with ankle high boots idea in the mouth.
>>
>>1206236
But I'm not working anywhere near sub-zero temps. But I understand how it could be shitty at that type of cold.
>>
>>1206239
I'd go for laced for actual /out/ing every time, but won't deny that jackboots look neat, especially if the leather is good.

Do you want to actually resew the boots in OP? If so, I suppose literally make leather extensions with bits that also extend into where the elastic is right not. Then again, most sewing I do is in the field when something rips, so fuck do I know.

Puttees would give you more of that look with less hassle. Also look Tommy as fug.
>>
>>1206246
Ah, thanks for the advice. My situation is that I'm hiking and working in a place with A LOT of brush, the type that drops seeds, has needles, and will fuck up my laces if I bring 'em. I'm just tired of that shit and would like to walk without caring too much if I have to step 2 feet this way or 3 feet that way because of some unkempt land, big ass ants crawling up my legs, pants getting stuck on something, mud, thorny plant species #235345, etc. etc.

I thought about buying cowhide but I can't find anything at all on the internet on how to modify a boot.
>>
File: laces.png (7KB, 267x260px) Image search: [Google]
laces.png
7KB, 267x260px
>>1206253
Does wearing trousers over the laces not work? We trudge through a lot of rough brush at temperate climates and harsh winters in laced boots over here.

Also as a unit standard we do pic related with the laces. Seems to work fine.

I'd say get some milsurp leather boots (if you're on a budget), maybe upgrade the laces to something more durable, and go with that.

Taking a boot apart by the seams, in my opinion, can only result in a pile of leather strips - unless you're a cobbler.
>>
File: .jpg (66KB, 820x600px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
66KB, 820x600px
>>1206261
I have no experience with winter trekking, but only in regular warm weather.

My shoes will get sucked in by mud and my feet would slip out when I try to get out (rubber boots I had solved this problem but good luck wearing it when it's hot outside). I step through brush and the occasional dead stick still planted in the ground might come up, snagging my pants back or planting it's thorns in my or its seeds. Had an issue where I got bit 20 times on my leg by fire ants. My socks get fucking nasty with dust mixed with cow shit coming up into my legs -- my personal issue. I mean my complaints go on and on but I definitely will be copying what you do with your laces. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

You're right, taking it apart will only break it, I'm no shoemaker. Maybe I'll just stick with the gaiters. Piece of shit is in the shop for like the 3rd time now. Oh well, boots like the old ones no one makes anymore.
>>
>>1206253
You could get some ace bandages and wrap your legs in em

alternatively, learn how to blouse your boots. you can still blouse pants into short boots. basically you invert the cuffs of your pants, wrap an elastic around them (usually called "Boot Bands" or "Trouser Blousers", generally a buck for a set of two(get lots because they get fucked up quickly)) and then roll your pants such that the pants are tucked under the elastic, but with some fabric draping that you then tuck into your boot far enough that the elastic will stretch around the top of your boot rather than your leg.

doing this is what gives the characteristic puffy combat pants going to slender boots look you see on OPER8ORZ, and it keeps the inside of your pants airy and comfy while not allowing shit to get into your boots or pants (just tucking your pants in still could let shit slide in; the boot band setup makes the path into your boot a U instead of straight, so it's much less likely that objects can get into your shoes or pants)
>>
>>1206276
Military? Another good idea on top of another. I wish I asked you guys years back to save my skin from the jungle out there.
>>
>>1206288
ye

you can always tell whether a mallninja has served or not by whether they blouse their rhodesian knockoff pattern combat pants into shitty gay milsurp le scary black combat boots, or if they just tuck em.

The wrap thing is also eeffective, but more oldschool. but many armies used to do it, as well as people going on safari or who just lived in brushy areas where they wanted added leg protection. There's also similar garments that are like, a whole sheet that you wrap and fasten with buttons, they work more-or-less like galoshes but for your ankles. I can't remember the name right now but you see it on people's shoes when people bust out their ceremonial kilts. in fact it was basically exactly what you wanted in the OP but it's to extend oxford-style dress shoes rather than to extend ankle boots
>>
File: Cuffs.png (2MB, 1035x1042px) Image search: [Google]
Cuffs.png
2MB, 1035x1042px
>>1206312
We don't blouse, and therefore it didn't occur to me, as the battle dress trouser cuffs have elastic bands already in, so just pull 'em tight & hide the fixator, whereas the woodland camo pants generally have some sort of strap in there as well - so just pull that, tie a bow, and hide that. Pic related.

But yeah, that helps keep the trouser over the boot. Gaiters don't hurt either.

Also: standard issue chink made Bates' in this pic are absolute rubbish.
>>
>>1206312
I hate how military fags think a "style" or way of doing something is exclusive to their little clan. And they are the ones to invent it.. Getting asked what branch I served in because I lace my pants on top of my boots (tan colored /out/ pants and dark brown redwings.) it's really annoying. And borderline autistic..

Hey guys
*snort*
I retired as an e6
*snort*
*heavy breathing*
What branch where you in?
"I-im not?"
Ohh what the fuck man why are you stealing muh valor because your pants are laced up!
>>
>>1206327
wtf

why are american uniforms so weird? first those weird velcro cuff things you stuff your shirts into instead of just normal sleeve-rolling or chicken straps, and now this
>>
>>1206349
>I hate how military fags think a "style" or way of doing something is exclusive to their little clan.
honestly it bothers me when muhreenz and sea ninjas think theyre the only ones who play CoD at night or drink excessively, but most people not exposed to military life don't know about boot blousing. you can't even buy the elastics for it in normal stores, because people who aren't fucking autistic dont wear combat boots and combat pants everywhere and even hikers and other outdoorsmen tend to prefer to dress very lightly for weight and comfort reasons and just avoid poison ivy and bug nests or w/e than wear protective clothing.

>your pants are laced up!
like nigga they're not "laced up" you just showed that you too do not know how blousing works.
>>
File: 0000019_snake-gaiters_550.jpg (32KB, 381x550px) Image search: [Google]
0000019_snake-gaiters_550.jpg
32KB, 381x550px
>>1206228
Gaiters are probably an easier thing to make, plus you won't really be able to match the colour of the leather very easily
Handy for when there's lots of burrs or mud and when tiger snek season has them a bit cranky
>>
>>1206350
>and now this
You act like it is a recent thing. They have been present on the uniform since the introduction of the BDU in 1981. It may have been present on older uniforms, also.
>>
>>1206350
Not the US military, friendo.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.