[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Setting up a homestead for my family

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: opWblyK.jpg (89KB, 640x649px) Image search: [Google]
opWblyK.jpg
89KB, 640x649px
I'd like to set up a homestead for my wife, our kids with the addition of a couple of cabins for our parents in the future. I have several friends in the construction business and they've all given me wonderful advice, but I'd like the opinion of strangers as well.

I have 40 acres of land near family now. I'm clearing a road on the property as well as a home site and a site for septic(About $5k in all according to the company doing the work). After that water and power will cost about $1k total. The master house my wife and I will live in will have the main kitchen/storage, while the cabins will only effectively be studios with a living space. I have a few building companies lined up for the master house, as it'll require a basement for root storage and storm safety.

What am I missing? What is absolutely retarded about this plan?
>>
>>1206055
>What am I missing? What is absolutely retarded about this plan?
Make sure your parents and kids want to live there.
Don't be an childish cunt if kids want to move somewhere at some point. They'll just hate you even more if you start bitchin'.
>>
The cabins need kitchen etc too. You want them to be able to do their own thing.

That way if and when family are not there you could rent them.
>>
File: 20 camo.jpg (708KB, 2848x2136px) Image search: [Google]
20 camo.jpg
708KB, 2848x2136px
>>1206055
You'd be ahead to build a shop first to facilitate everything else. I'd have a power pole placed with 120 and 240v outdoor outlets as I did for my shop, then you have power to build your workshop.

Have many cleanouts on the pipe run to your septic. If you never need them they didn't cost much. If you do, you'll have it easy. I glued my cleanout tees to the pipes on only one side so if I ever have to I can easily remove the whole line. It's been twenty years with no problems but forethought is free.

Study hard. Be superbly equipped because tools are cheap compared to what they do for you. A forty foot High Cube shipping container is an instant storm proof storage area and workshop. I have two joined as my welding and machine shop area. You can paint them attractively or use camo to make them vanish. Pic is my 20' storage container.
>>
>>1206055

OP, we need to have a heart-to-heart about the location of these 40 acres. In what region of the country are they located? Are they located on plains, valley, ridge or hill, etc.? How close are they to the nearest large town or city? How close are they to freeways, railroads, rivers, or major highways?
>>
>>1206289
>your children get to decide where you live

The fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>1206482

>The fuck are you talking about?

He means when the kids are grown I think.
>>
>>1206289
Well my kids don't have much of a choice. They're my kids.

As per my parents and such, her grandmother has been thrown into an assisted living home(Yanks) and would be thrilled at the move. My parents live nearby and her parents are on the border of Chicago. So, given the situation there I'd imagine it's a matter of time before they decide they want to retire somewhere quieter.
>>
>>1206295
I have no desire to rent them out. I like my peace and quiet and personal property. I might rent them out to family, but again it's a considerable cost to start adding all those sections/suites to each cabin. That and it ain't exactly vacation territory, rather "leave me the hell alone" territory. There isn't a Wal-Mart for 40 mins.
>>
>>1206298
I see people on here constantly talking about the storage containers. Why are they so highly valued? Wouldn't it be more cost effective to build a small workshop from wood? Where can one find them used and about how much do they run?

Thank you for your reply though, I did overlook the requirement for moving my tools out there as a permanent state. That's a much better idea than pre-building panels here and moving them to the property.
>>
>>1206346
Alabama, dying town. Mixture of plain with some hilly sections. All wooded. Nearest grocery store about 5-10 minutes. Nearest highway about 15 minutes. Railroad runs alongside it about 50 acres away. Nearest actual town about 25 minutes away by highway. Has small stream and an area that could easily become a pond if I dammed it up.
>>
>>1206513
Yeah, but when they're grown they're gonna do all kinds of weird stuff compared to what I want. I did it, so did my parents and theirs. I don't expect them to settle down with us on the homestead until they see the world for 10-20 years if ever. They'll be adults and it'll be time for them to make their place in the world.
>>
>>1206055
are you setting aside an area for producing crops/livestock?
>>
>>1206678
Yes, I have set out the plain area about 15 acres near the lake for critters and crops(divided).
>>
>>1206685
fantastic, try to keep the kids busy
>>
>>1206055
>homestead
Fuel storage (wood oil gas pellets etc)
Irrigation for more than just drinking.
Eletrical backup strategy (generator /transfer switch)
Heat backup strategy (I'll let you use your imagination)
Perishables (refrigerator/freezer) backup strategy
Communication? Got cell? Satellite internet?
Workshop?
Commodities for rural living while detached from the world (books?)
>>
>>1206702
I forgot to ask about septic too
>>
>>1206055
To be completely honest, I'd just sell the land and buy a house somewhere that is in a good neighborhood with good schools. I don't think trying to relocate your entire family just because you want to is the best idea. Your kids will end up hating it especially as they get older (i'm assuming they're still young) it might be fun now to go outside and hang out with dad, but once they become teens and want to get away from you they're going to be pretty upset.
>>
>>1206704
I did it and turned out fine.
>>
>>1206055
You want your parents to come into your house to cook, shit and shower?
Would you like to have to go into someone elses house to do those things?
>>
>>1206567

I'll be honest, it would be better if it were a little farther away from civilization. You typically want to shoot for a full tank of gas from any major populated place. We may be able to work with this, though.
>>
>>1206860
So, they will have bathrooms, overlooked that. As far as cooking though, we're gonna go back to family meals.
>>
>>1206564
brand new will cost maybe 5k, used ones can be as low as a grand
>>
>>1206564
>Why are they so highly valued?

They are storm and vermin proof. A pole building would be much less so. I didn't have to pour a slab to support my lathe, mill and cutter grinder. The end doors make for easy access for machines, welders and equipment. (I put standard welding machine panel QDs on one wall so I don't need to open the doors and drag welding cable to weld outdoors.) They are pleasant to work with. Termites don't bother them. Hurricanes don't bother them unless you live in a storm surge area where anything would be fucked. The tiedown loops are great winch points for moving machinery and for using cargo straps to lift DIY welded shelving into place, which also hangs from tiedown loops. You can weld them together easily for modular expansion.

Get forty foot or longer High Cubes for the extra height over standard containers. You want that for air circulation and much more storage space.

I have three High Cubes and one 20-ft for storage since it fit its spot next to my guest house nicely.

Get at least "cargo worthy" containers. "One trip" is ideal. I paid 5500 for a one trip High Cube with doors on both ends I use for a ride-through motorcycle garage. "WWT"/Wind and Water Tight is OK but inspect the ones you buy if practical. All ye need to know is online. Study welding forums because almost all Youtube videos are shit except those showing simple mods in action.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.