[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fucking Cylinders

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: tubeshit.png (10KB, 1416x728px) Image search: [Google]
tubeshit.png
10KB, 1416x728px
So here's a pickle for you engineer faggots. I had this mother fucking tubes of variable diameter that i need to spin at high RPMs, and it's gatta sit horizontally.

How do I clamp this mother fucker and attach it to a motor?
>>
>>1205725
>spin at high RPM

Have fun with that. If the tubes sag any, they are going to be tough to balance.
>>
>>1205739

dunno what you mean broski
>>
I have no idea what shape you are trying to describe. Are they ellipsoids?
>>
the same way car wheels are, force applied on the center and they are (should be) balanced every time something is changed on them
>>
call the iranian embassy. they have a bunch of spares they wanna get rid of.
>>
>>1205744

no dude microsoft paint didn't have a cylinder shape

i'm trying to spin a glass cylinder at 10k rpm about it's axis, and i need a quick release mechanism to clamp it
>>
>>1205739
oh fuck please don't let this thread turn into a cringey argument about whether and which forces are real and imaginary.
>>
>>1205759
Use a retracting wheel on the outside of the tube.

Also, film that shit. No way a glass tube wouldn't explode under those condotions.
>>
>>1205759
>need a quick release mechanism
well how about a rod of slightly larger diameter than the glass cylinder. chamfer to make one end taper to fit into the cylinder. connect to motor via whatever coupler you want. mount on a bearing rail to slide around to release from cylinder. motor can be off the slide if a suitable coupling is used, some keyed or splined well greased shaft might do.
>>
>>1205768

that's what i came up with, getting it made is a pain in the ass, i was hoping for something more off the shelf, getting it custom machined is a last resort

I'm essentially making this but diy

https://youtu.be/0lBF0K4LLyE?t=226
>>
>>1205725
You want to make a lathe basically, just use a three or four jaw cuck faggot
>>
>>1205759
>microsoft paint
You want to do something this advanced and you have no CAD knowledge?
You're going to have a hard time.
>>
>>1205785

unfortunately i can't make it to big, or the chuck would be a no brainer. remember the tube is thin af

>>1205787

obviously i used mspaint for humor, i can cad
>>
W5f are you doing at 10k rpm. Do you really need that

http://www.littonengr.com/Lathes.cfm
>>
What the fuck are you trying to do, and why does it need to spin that fast?
>>
>>1205808

did you recommend me a $30k lathe?
>>
>>1205811

see

>>1205771
>>
File: designmeow.png (26KB, 985x531px) Image search: [Google]
designmeow.png
26KB, 985x531px
current design
>>
>>1205767
>>1205817

i am sir, check it out
>>
Dude, don't be an idiot. Four point contact will be a mother fucker to align. You need to create a housing that you can put the variable diameter tubes into to attach to the motor. Use three point contact to support it. Your motor attachment housing can just take bushings for the different diameter tubes. And to drive it all you need is a slot on the end and then a matching slot on the motor shaft. Have you thought about this at all? It really is not that complicated.
>>
File: Quagmire.png (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Quagmire.png
7KB, 225x225px
>>1205768
>well greased shaft
>>
File: threepoint.png (9KB, 624x300px) Image search: [Google]
threepoint.png
9KB, 624x300px
>>1205913

Uhh I think I'm just ganna fix the tube's diameter now cause your right, it would be a mother fucker. So if i'm going a fixed diameter, than 3 point should be easy. say like this
>>
why arent you doing it the same way that video is doing it, because trying to support a high speed cylinder with low circularity in bearings is stupit

looks like the whole spindle assembly is a solid round unit supported by bearings and you load your tubes into the hollow spindle, thats the most non retarded way it seems
>>
>>1206126

yeah but i have no idea how they clamp the tube in the spindle
>>
>>1206260
those tubes look like they have caps on the tubes with a diameter on the outside that is probably fitted to the inner diameter of the spindle , and then the threaded cap holds it in place
what diameter are the tubes you are using? it might be easier to use a collet holder , but your oval ass tubes should have caps like in the video you posted
>>
>>1206308

your right actually, i could thread the cap on the tube and thread the spindle, that's a great idea. i think i'm going to go with this :)
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.