[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Converting tube radio to guitar amp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: 20170706_210407.jpg (3MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
20170706_210407.jpg
3MB, 2988x5312px
A buddy of mine moved into a house where a couple geezers used to live before they got recommended to the spirit in the sky. There was an old tube radio/phonograph combo in the garage that he said I could have. The entire enclosure is absolutely trashed to the point beyond saving. Basically the only things that survived were the actual mechanics, electronics, and (miraculously) the schematic label on the bottom of the casing.

Considering that the enclosure was fucked, I removed all of the electromech and decided that I'll use this unit as a free tube amp. I'm of course about to replace all of the paper capacitors, but I do have one question:

What the fuck is the attached picture?

Is it R3 in the schematic? The H pins (I'm guessing "H" is heater) on all of the sockets in the schematic are not connected to anything, but I'm guessing that bullshit hanging off R3 is the heater leads on all the other sockets; this is what I've gathered from looking at how all the other sockets are wired. I'm also guessing that the resistor comes after mains on the 35Z5 socket because the 35Z5 is a rectifier tube meant to operate at mains voltage.

If it's R3, it's an easy fix. If it's not R3, then what is it?
>>
File: 20170706_204428.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170706_204428.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
And here's the schematic. Thanks in advance if anybody is able to help me out here.
>>
>>1205266

Yes it is R3

But for the love of god, just trash the thing. it is of the type that the chassis is LIVE (AC on the chassis and your guitar connected to the hot side of mains). These were safe only inside the insulated enclosure.
>>
>>1205264
If you're thinking fires were less common back in the day, that's not true. Fires were simply not reported as often - because, with these instruments, fire was a natural part of life.
>>
>>1205264

This is a cool project OP. I take it you don't plan to ever play in public.

"Please be patient while Captain Dreadlocks takes half an hour to get his hipster amp working again. Thanks for you patience."
>>
>>1205266
You better invest in an isolation transformer if you plan to use that thing.
>>
>>1205306
Alright, I've got a bunch of 2W resistors on order and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

In all seriousness, I've been planning out an insulated enclosure for this thing because I do realize how dangerous this unit is, even if nothing goes wrong. I'm guessing it wasn't even safe to begin with.

>>1205317
Nope, just a fun little project that will make for a neat (and possibly very "exciting") practice amp.

>>1205335
Do you have any tips or considerations for installing an isolation transformer and/or other safety features?
>>
Muh series filament
>>
Go over 90Ohms, as the line vltage is no longer 110 Volts. What about 2 220 Ohm resisors in parallel?
Also, prepare to blow up the puny original loudspeaker. Replace with a cheap and nice Jensen
>>
>>1205660
Mains voltage (in the US) is realistically still about 110 or close to it. I've seen 120 at the wall, but it's the exception to the rule.

I've already taken the original speaker off the chassis; the cone was fucked even if I wanted to use it. I have a speaker on hand that I'm planning to use (can't remember the manufacturer and can't be assed to look just this minute).
>>
>>1205586
>I've been planning out an insulated enclosure for this thing
You still have to connect the guitar to it - with a wire.
Also expect about five watts of audio power.
>>
>>1205814
I'm going to switch out the plug with a three prong one, add an isolation transformer to the circuit, and make any other safety fixes I can think of. I'm also planning on picking up a socket wiring tester while I'm at this.

I'd honestly be fairly surprised if the thing could even do five watts, but we'll see.
>>
>>1205306
fuck off moron, he should fix it.
>>
>>1205925
grounding the chassis will very likely add noise.
>>
>>1205335
not necessary.
>>
File: Pages from riders vol_13.jpg (682KB, 2200x1700px) Image search: [Google]
Pages from riders vol_13.jpg
682KB, 2200x1700px
>>1205264
Here is the riders.
replace the 90 ohm 2 watt resistor with a 90 or 100 ohm 5 watt resistor.

An isolation transformer is not necessary, replace all paper and electrolytic caps. if the dial lamp is not working replace it with a GE 47 bulb. don't worry about the input voltage as the schematic states it can handle 105 to 125 volts as long as all the resistors are within specs.

If the speaker is not a permanent magnet type you can't just replace it with any speaker.

the electrolytics can be replaced with either 33uf or 47uf, I would use 200 volt caps.

verify resistor ratings from their markings as many old schematics listed meg when they meant kilo ohms
>>
>>1205264
Converting that to a guitar amp is pointless. you would be better off finding an old tube guitar amp schematic and build it.
>>
>>1206829
I'm going to order a shitload of 5 watt resistors because I might make a hobby out of this. I have a few more radios on deck and a steady supply for cheap. I already have 630 volt caps in values close to the originals inbound.

>>1206834
This whole conversion/restoration will cost me ten to fifteen bucks. You can't even get the parts for a Champ 5C1 for close to that.
>>
>>1206829
>An isolation transformer is not necessary
Uh huh. And why's that, considering he's going to connect his guitar to it?
>>
File: 1489824453429.jpg (38KB, 460x497px) Image search: [Google]
1489824453429.jpg
38KB, 460x497px
>>1206945
Assuming that your plan here is to replace the phono cartridge with an instrument jack. Are the tubes fresh? Would there be enough gain available to hear over the strings of your guitar?

>>1206964
C7 and R9, presumably. Pic related
>>
>>1206973
That's the plan. Guitar output and phonograph output are roughly the same level, so if it ever worked it should work now.

Tubes aren't fresh but I'm not horribly concerned.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.