[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tool thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 18

Talk about your tools.
>>
>>1204869
I wish I had more of them
>>
I liked the idea in an article in Popular mechanics that we are hardwired to identify, acquire and utilize tools - and that crucially allowed us to evolve.

So it is literally in the nature of man to love tools.
>>
File: IMG_3187.jpg (36KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3187.jpg
36KB, 443x332px
MY TRUCK CONTAINS!!!!

Toolbox inside my toolbox:
>hammer
>wrench set
>socket set
>fuse kit
>vise grips
>needlenose pliers
>combination pliers
>side cutters
>channellocks
>multimeter
>tie wire
>ratchet
>zip ties
>duct tape
>electrical tape
>an all
>breaker bar
>box cutter
>spare blades
>screw drivers
>crescent
>assorted toothbrush thingys

Toolbox:
>shackles
>Rope
>String
>5m of chain
>tow strap
>hand winch
>tree strap
>gloves
>saw
>axe
>knife
>sleeping bag
>crc
>oil
>jerry can
>gumboots
>3 pairs of socks
>Cum rags
>Water container
>Jacket
>Sweater
>Billy
>Oats and Noodles

Cab:
>Repair notebook
>Repair book
>Maps
>Compass
>Pocket knife
>Uncanny ammount of pens and sharpies
>Sunglasses
>Cum rag
>Lip balm
>Water
>Empty backpack
>Sunscreen
>Boonie hat
>Beanie
>Binoculars
>Batteries
>Lighters
>Condoms
>>
>>1204896
Forgot my
>Fishing rod
>Takle box
>Reel
>Plastic bags
>Bubble gum
>Tie downs
>Bunjees
>>
File: 1498394508429.png (64KB, 172x212px) Image search: [Google]
1498394508429.png
64KB, 172x212px
>>1204896

>breaks into your car
>uses tools to break into your house
>>
>>1204908
The day someone gets into my toolbox is the day I shoot myself in the shower.
>>
>>1204909
Does that make the cleanup better or worse?

Asking for a friend.
>>
>>1204912
If I really cared about cleanup id drive out to the bush and shoot myself there for the pigs to eat me. But I care about my gun enough that it wont rust away in the bush.
>>
File: IMG_20170702_154537249.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170702_154537249.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
I just picked up a hitachi f1000a with new planer blades for $225. The guy was cleaning his shop and threw in a free senco sfn40 and a bunch of old 1x8s.
>>
>>1205034
You lucky bastard.
>>
just picked up 2 incomplete sets of standard wera nutdrivers
>>
>>1204869
tools I keep in my pocket?
in my car?
in my hut?
in my flat?

close to my desk?
fixing clothes?

I will certainly not name them all!
>>
Never the tool you need
>>
Anybody in here have any experience with CNC routers? I'm in the market to buy one, but haven't narrowed anything down yet. I need a big working area of at least 24" x 24". I will only be using it for wood and acrylic. Priced out a X-Carve for $1,800 fully loaded and might pull the trigger this week. I've seen many good reviews.

Also, I'm not interested in making my own or soldering and all that shit.
>>
File: image.png (104KB, 540x272px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
104KB, 540x272px
Just moved into a house with a fireplace so I went and picked up a husqvarna 440e chainsaw. 800 bucks was a bit pricey but it came with all the safety gear and being a rookie with chainsaws that was a big plus. Performed well so far, fuel consumption is quite low.
>>
>>1206509
Good saw, I have one from when I was a fencer. Handy as fuck for clearing roads and cutring chamfers, probably a bit more saw then I needed, but it has come in handy.
>>
File: mememultitool.jpg (42KB, 292x520px) Image search: [Google]
mememultitool.jpg
42KB, 292x520px
>>1204896
mng u like prepared for "Red Down"?
>>1204912
depends on many things, also if they find you asap or afther a year - kek
>>1204869
most recet i got a meme multitool, not the best but bether then nothing (want in the future a LEATHERMAN SURGE), only thing that bugs me is the ruler instead of second longer knife blade i was like: why? its the same size as a bigger blade probably gona sharpen that thing
>>
>>1206570
>Red dawn?
No, im just autistic from years of my Dad screaming at me to get his tools.
>>
>>1206575
kek
>>1206509
do you chop them small with the saw or by hand -axe or you have a log splitter?
>>
>>1207739
Cut them about a foot length with the saw and then split half of them with the log splitter. I have a lot of jarrah and it burns long and hot so I can basically chuck any size on the fire if it's already going. I send the kid out to the bush with a trolley to get kindling, gradually increasing their labour so they can be responsible for heating the home in a few years.
>>
>>1204869
dunno man, that saw looks like fake to me
>>
>>1204869
anyone got recommendation for hammer tacker? Cannot tell if they all the same and if it just a giant brand penis dealio
>>
File: 1366_2000.jpg (384KB, 1352x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1366_2000.jpg
384KB, 1352x1500px
Any opinions on pic?
>>
>>1208764
It must be nice not having to buy both SAE and Metric tools.
If that kit were in america, it would be half and half, and it would be missing all sorts of sockets and wrenches, only giving you the most popular
>>
File: sonotube.jpg (94KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sonotube.jpg
94KB, 640x480px
I got all kinds of shit at home, various woodworking tools and power tools. I also have a pile of old trowels and other broken concrete tools I haven't gotten around to fixing, a demo saw and a bunch of unorganized sockets and wrenches.

In my tool belt for work I keep a 32oz framing hammer, 30ft FatMax, Linesman pliers, hardened chisel- to break screws, keels, pencils, a torpedo level, a cats paw, speed square, chalk box and a utility knife and a couple spare bits for the impact driver.

In my truck I have a set of power tools, a socket set, another pile of trowels and rebar in the back I haven't gotten around to unloading and a bunch of straps and chains.

I just have so much random shit I have accumulated over the last few years but I am barely 19, I'll probably be on that Hoarder show by the time I'm 30
>>
>>1208767
i didn't even know that was a thing. I wonder if the set I will inherit of mac and snap-offs has both...
>>
>>1208756
I've used both an Arrow and a Stanley, no noticeable difference in performance, but I want to say that the Stanley felt better in the hand.

I have two questions: my next purchase is either going to be an oxy-acetalyne torch, an in-lb torque wrench, or a set of crowsfoot wrenches. Any advice on which I should go for?

If I get the torque wrench, what range is a good range?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
>>1204869
craftsman mechanic set
vice grips
nice wire cutters
cheap hack saw
carpet cutter
grandpa's hammer
screw drivers
>>
File: IMG_3245.jpg (30KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3245.jpg
30KB, 384x384px
>>1208764
Nah, im not a big fan of buying absolutely everything in a kit. My advice would be to buy a quality set of sockets that contains the most popular sizes, and then add oddball sizes as you come across them, and then keep them in a drawer in your workshop.
Also have one set that stays in your car along with your other car tools, and one set that lives in your shop.
>>
>>1204869
i just have standard shit. but i have a klein tools m600, very nice meter.
>>
>>1208986
If youre a sparky might I ask, whats a good beater meter that will last a lifetime to keep in my truck toolbox? Also what are some good cheap apprentice meters to keep in the shop?
Ive got money to spend and im tired of using a cheapo stanley one.
>>
>>1208973
I agree, but I think your advice would suit better for proffesional people. If I work as a grease monkey I would spend money on quality tools. But for casual things I think sets like this (>>1208764) suit pretty well. is not the best quality but you have everything you'll need for your casual repairs/projects.
>>
>>1209161
No even for the casual folk. It works out cheaper and you get better shit, you just have to have a shop or toolbox to keep your shit in.
>>
>>1204869
chinko caliper with metric, standard decimal, and standard fractional. love it for metric <-> fractional conversions and for measuring something in fractional size directly rather than having to math with decimal
>>
File: IMG_3249.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3249.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
I just bought a non chink rivet gun, am I /diy/ yet?
>>
File: weramemev5.jpg (210KB, 980x735px) Image search: [Google]
weramemev5.jpg
210KB, 980x735px
>>1209183
now get shit ton of rivets
>>1208764
depends on what you need it for
always good to have tools, even when you dont need them, but some day you will need them

also got another 2 wera meme screwdrivers Torx 20 and 25 mising only the 30 they have in the shop, next goal geting the cheaper electrical red ones to replace the meme-chink brand ones when they get broken
>>
>>1209198
No, the rivet situation in my shop is fucking ridiculous. My dad buys me bulk shit for my birthday, its a great gift but for fucks sakes I dont need 3000 fencing staples.
>>
>>1209164
I'm sorry, I can't understand your reply, you mean the tool sets like >>1208764 are a good option because they
>works out cheaper and you get better shit
on that they worth nothing even for the casual folk?
>>
>>1209234
No, dont get meme "include everything" sets. Get a good quality socket set with only common sockets in it (reccomend 7-22mm, dont know what the equilalent is in yankland), and then buy your wrenchs, screwdrivers (please for the love of god, dont get bitsets) and oddball sockets seperate.

This is solid advice, for both the pro and casualfag alike, and the cheapest and best way to go about things.
>>
>>1208951
What a stupid question. Which one do you need, fuckhead?
>>
>>1209169
>, standard decimal, and standard fractional

This can be very handy. I know because mine does not have that, and I frequently want to know which drill bit is closest so I have to go get the calculator.

>>1208764 The all-in-one sets can be a great value if they have the right stuff. That one seems to have way too many bits and far too few sockets. For example, if you have to buy another set of deep sockets to have the basic ones then you have wasted money on the huge set.

Starting out I would look for a huge set that looks more or less complete. Going back to my example, look at a good set of deep sockets, and if the all-in-one has all of them, then it passes that part of the test.

Some all-in-one cases suck, and that's hard to judge until you have it in your hand. It's nice to have your tools organized, but if they fall out every time you open the case or your truck hits a cat then you wind up piling them all in a box.
>>
>>1209228
>3000 fencing staples
lol
just tell him to buy small packs but diferent sizes, its beter to have 100 pice packs of diferent sizes then have 2Kg of screws/nails and shit you will probably never use
>>
Assortment of power tools for car, torque wrenches, socket sets, bits, and ryobi tools for house. At garage sales is when I pick up the "odd but incredibly useful tool for those odd jobs" tools for cheap.
>>
>>1209281
What kind of odd tools?
>>
>>1209349

yeah. I want to hear about these incredibly useful odd tools. I might want one if they live up to the hype.
>>
>>1209253
got the calipers for $30 at home depot, seen them for $20-25 online
one of my best purcahses
>>
>>1209239
>(reccomend 7-22mm, dont know what the equilalent is in yankland

Equivalent here is 7-22mm.

The problem is that you also need a 1/4"-1" lot to have a "complete set".
>>
File: therearemore.jpg (548KB, 1713x1021px) Image search: [Google]
therearemore.jpg
548KB, 1713x1021px
i have so many goddamn tools. i didn't really think about it until i started taking pictures.
this isn't even all of them. they're literally all over my house.
>>
>>1209429
that triggers my OCD
>>
>>1209429
Your disgusting organisational aside, was that welder even worth buying for anything?
>>
>>1209429
>Pleb thinks he has "alot" of tools.
HAHAHAHHAHAAA!!!
Also learn to organise.
>>
>>1209530
>>1209429
You don't truly have a lot of tools until you can't remember how many tools you have. I have lost tool boxes in parts of my house only to find them later and go "oh yeah, I remember these." I have left boxes in my attic (twice) and one in the back of the garage (under the water heater, which is in a closet) only to wander across them later.
>>
>>1206509
>husky
Hope you like the chain slipping off when it stretches more than 0.01 nanometers. Should have spent some money on a Stihl instead.
>>
File: DSCF4018.jpg (182KB, 922x688px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4018.jpg
182KB, 922x688px
H13 cast steel anvil, made in america. 110lbs. It works.
>>
>>1209464

i'm in the middle of a massive bout of home improvement and my garage has pretty much gone to shit.

on the welder, yes, actually.

i make money on the side welding up peoples' exhaust systems where the AlphaTIG really comes in handy for.

also welding is very therapeutic for me.
>>
>>1209556
No thats just you being disorganised. The problem really sets in when you have a box labelled "dial indicators". I try to stop, but each one is better and cheaper then the last.
>>1209559
Agree with this guy, also what your poison 230+?
>>
File: 2017-07-16 22.16.50.jpg (1MB, 2828x1590px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-16 22.16.50.jpg
1MB, 2828x1590px
German Electrician reporting in. (again)

If there are any questions - ask away.
>>
File: 2017-07-16 22.17.09.jpg (799KB, 2828x1590px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-16 22.17.09.jpg
799KB, 2828x1590px
>>1210321
>>
>>1210321
Why are all your tools clean and shiny? Are you an apprentice? Also where the fucks your toolbelt, hammer, drill and meter?
>>
>>1210326

Because i use to clean them baby.

toolbelt? Amerifat detected.

Hammer etc not on the pictures.
>>
>>1210321
would have expected stabila level. never heard of cimco?
>>
>>1210330
>toolbelt? Amerifat detected.

not a fat thing. carpenters have to have a toolbelt. not so sure about electricians.

a toolbelt is so that when you are there and need the snips, the snips are in your belt.

maybe german electricians never need more than one or two tools at a time. being as how your spread has many tools, i have to wonder about that.
>>
>>1210321
>>1210323
got something new?
considering probably to start buying som knipex in the future to replace some tools i lost or are chink
>>
>>1210574

picture was taken some weeks ago for another thread. since then i've added two hammers from peddinghaus and two rulers, one for each bag
>>
File: zollstocktasche.jpg (11KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
zollstocktasche.jpg
11KB, 400x200px
>>1210331
small german manufacturer.

>>1210332
for sure there are trades who require a toolbelt, but it is not common in germany/europe to use one as an electrician.

Most of the time you just need some pliers/ a screwdriver to fix something, and these are tools we keep in our so called "Zollstocktasche" (pic related)
>>
>>1211453

that looks cool. I'm still wondering why a tool belt is a bad thing to Germans. they come in various sizes for different amounts of tools.
>>
>>1211465
tool belts look stupid and get in the way. here in canada its a 50/50 between someone having a tool belt and just being willing to lay their shit out on the floor or walk back to their much larger dolly-like toolbox full of all manner of electric/air tools and just waste the time plugging them in
>>
>>1209592
Not that guy but I almost pulled the trigger on a Ahp stick tig and cutter but remembered the trouble I had with my lotos welder (from what I've been told same Oem as ahp and the hf mi I inverter) and sprung for a blue machine.i don't regret it al all, it only can't do tig aluminum but I've got a spoolgun for that
>>
>>1211533
What trade? There is no alternative in the concrete construction field
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.