[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Room Cooling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: img_75912.jpg (2MB, 4000x2248px) Image search: [Google]
img_75912.jpg
2MB, 4000x2248px
Need a way to get as much cold air during night in my room, there is no draft so almost no air goes in my room (temp drop overnight is from 30 to 27 and that is still too hot), i need to cool down room to at least 23-24c
I was thinking about making swamp cooler but they dont work good on 50-60% humidity
>>
Get an air conditioning unit.
>>
>>1204842
/diy/ - Do It Yourself
You know what that means, right?
>>
>>1204852
Install it yourself.

We get these threads every damn summer of retards asking how to generate cold air for cheap. The cheapest and most efficient way happens to be an air conditioner.

But by all means, freeze a bunch of water bottles and place them in front of a box fan. Also completely insulate your room because the hot air will flood right back in.
>>
>>1204841
Window A/C. They're cheap and effective.
>B-but muh diy
Build some sort of device that uses gas to continuously cool your room until a set temp is reached. Perhaps call this device an Air/Conditioner. Perhaps you could vent the removed heat out your window. After the thousands you spend planning and building it, check Amazon. Window units are cheap and effective. Stop being a bitch.
>>
>>1204860
problem is that since im student, i dont have alot of money, also i dont need to cool down air alot, in night temps drop to 20-22c which is enough to cool my room to at least 24c, i know that becouse when there is a draft it drops down to 23-24c
>>
>>1204864
if i planned on buying a/c, then i wouldnt ask you guys here...
where is fun in that
>>
>>1204878
Stick a box fan on the window sill.
>>
>>1204878
>i dont have alot of money
There's no way to actively cool a room besides using a window AC. do what >>1204882 said and stick a fan in the window.

There is literally no way to cool a room any appreciable amount, other than an A/C unit, especially on a budget.
>>
>>1204841
>Buy huge box fan
>Put it by open window at night
>Close window in the morning
>Success

If you live in a shitty box that can't insulate the heat for the whole day then you're fucked
>>
>>1204883
>>1204886
Guys read, i dont need to actively cool down air over the day, i just need to get cool air during night in my room (which is already at 20-22c)
>>
>>1204886
and yeah, puting fan on window doesnt do alot of difference, maybe if i add one fan on one window as intake and second fan on second window as exhaust would do, idk i have to try that
>>
There are ways to make your own AC but the aesthetics will suggest you skimped on safety and/or your name is Cletus or Jebediah
>>
>>1204894
Get a bigger fan. When I was a poor fag like you, I had a 20 inch box fan on my window blowing air into my room. I was in similar climate to you and it most definitely had a noticeable effect to the point where it was a bit too chilly in my room.
>>
>>1204841
Get a real big peltier setup going, though I'm not sure how effective it is yet, as long as you can get the heat out easily it'll probably cool your room down a little.
I do think buying an a/c would be better though.
>>
>>1205177
Not really effective, 50w peltier only does something like 8w cooling, which is bad, also it would be hard to move air around room and remove heat
>>
>>1204864
Also
>can't afford a window A/C
Buy a second hand A/C
>>
File: ac87584a400cbac003dfd77db06a4e1a.png (393KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
ac87584a400cbac003dfd77db06a4e1a.png
393KB, 1500x1500px
OP your problem is simply humidity and a lack of moving air, which builds up in apartments and settles on walls and surfaces (mildew warning!!)

Create a draft by opening windows on two ends of your house/apartment. Move furniture and stuff to keep this airflow as obstruction free as possible.

Get a regular 10 dollar fan from walmart to boost airflow. Airflow volume powered by a fin is relative to the surface area of the fins, not so much the speed at which it turns, so your "cute" setup of hotwiring 16 little computerfans seems useful but in reality is more frame and rotor than propeller, thus is a pisspoor alternative to the simpler and cheaper and more energy efficient option.

Open window at 9PM until 8AM. Lower shutters as well to stop sunlight. Reopen everything at 9PM.

As for humidity, create a cooling-fin frame out of wood, nails and clothespegs that air can pass between except you use paper towel as the fins. These soak up moisture and are cheaply replaceable every week.

Aldi also used to sell these little dehumidifier thingies that used a chemical powderblock similar to a dishwasher tablet that condensed humid air and collects it into a little tray to wash down the drain. They last around 2 weeks.
>>
>>1204878
Swamp cooler on Amazon for like $120 .
>>
>>1205138
Agreed. I live in a cape cod house and the upstairs gets blazing hot. We put a dual window fan in and turn it on at night. Cools the rooms down to perfect sleeping temps.
>>
Back in the day I was working in Thailand as a dive instructor for a couple seasons. I had enough cooling with just a fan. As long as the air blowing over you is cooler than your body temperature it does cool you down. As I lived on a small island electricity was guaranteed, and as the fan stopped it became unbearable.
It was perfect with just the fan and a thin sheet as a blanket.
I used to live in places with just a fan, no AC, I don't like the feel t gives. Might be different now as I'm a oldfag.
>>
>>1205361
He said he's dirt-broke. I doubt he has 120 to spend on utilities, let alone a whole swamp cooler.
>>
Also if you live in a place with several floors keep some windows open on the bottom floor and some on he top. You want to use the Herman pressure difference to drive cooler air from the bottom higher up. Usually this isn't good on the top floors as the walls have so much thermal mass jut lower floors gets cooled first.

You want it like pic related on the left. The thermal difference actually does some work... You can use this in the day time also, it called the minaret effect. Minarets are built so that the bottom door is on the side with shade and the top door is on the sun side. As sun heats the open side on the tip it sucks "cooler" air from the shade side up.
>>
>>1205372
Herman=thermal
>>
>>1204892
>>1204894
Are you simple?
You don't need a fucking exhaust fan.
If you have a box fan by your window at night drawing cool air in, the positive air pressure in your room will naturally push air out via cracks around your door, other windows etc.

Just put a fan by your window at night and turn it off in the morning, maybe put in on a timer
>>
>>1204881
>if i planned on buying a/c, then i wouldnt ask you guys here...where is fun in that

okay smart ass how about you put ice cubes in your humidifier and cool the air
>>
Do it like they do in 3rd world slums

https://youtu.be/oSbZWNk84F4
>>
>>1204841
My apartment has Central A/C and I've o ly used it for maybe 4 days out of the 2 years I've lived here, and that was when I was sick and absolutely needed to sleep.

Just sleep naked and put a box fan in front of the window and point it at yourself. I've been doing exactly that for the last few weeks and I've been sleeping like a rock. It even cools down my apartment enough that I wake up in the morning covered in a blanket that I don't ever remember covering myself with.
>>
>>1205945
Dafuc?
Thermodynamics 101: Compressing air heats it up.
Fast moving air just evaporates moisture quicker and thus .duh. wind chill feelscooler.jpg
But that... Guess you could make some money selling those on etsy.
>>
>>1204841
The absolute coldest you can get the room without ac or a swamp cooler is the ambient outdoor temperature. If it's just one room, get one or two box fans (one for each window). If you only have one window, you'll have to figure out how to separate it into two sections. You can duct it so that the fan pulls from the bottom and the hot air escapes out the top.
>>
>>1205994
The heat is likely removed when moisture exits the air (and condenses on the bottles).
>>
>>1205349
great idea, but doesnt higher humidity lower the temperature? i mean thats how evaporative coolers work right?
>>
>>1206086
i dont need to lower it lower than ambient, since its 20c at night, im fine with that, right now with almost no airflow i can cool it down from 30c (at evening) to something like 26-27c ni morning
>>
>>1206475
Higher humidity makes it feel hotter
>>
>>1204841
Just open a window.
>>
>>1205994
explained purposefully wrong, they have created one way valves for air flow, from smaller to larger, so hot air expands out of the building, thus cooling the bottle and the connecting section, its a plastic self-air flowing radiator for the building. Just like those bleached bottles installed in the ceilings for free lighting indoors.
>>
>>1206944
get cheap box fans from walmart, get a timer if you are too lazy to turn them off during the day, one facing in, the other facing out. Use the boxes they come in to plug up the surrounding windows, being careful that you can remove them and put them back in repeatedly. Plug in and enjoy the forced air circulation during your cooling nights. Use the remainder of cardboard to block out the windows during the day, line those self made blinds with aluminum foil, cut blinds in them and push another piece of cardboard back and forth for more/less light. You lose your view, but cut out/ block out your outdoor source of heat.

Warning, your window well WILL HEAT UP LIKE AN OVEN. Bonus points for having solar oven to cook shit with now. Again use your cheap tinfoil for cooking surface.

Less than $22 in materials, 2x$10 box fans, $1 tinfoil, $glue/tape, assuming you can borrow scissors.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.