[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How 2 shed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: gravscem.jpg (165KB, 910x302px) Image search: [Google]
gravscem.jpg
165KB, 910x302px
I'm trying to build a shed -- only I have a unique problem here.

The foundation is shitty English mud, and it's not even level.

I'm sort of stuck in a theoretical debate with my dad as to how this is supposed to go down.

He says we should dig a few inches into the soil and cement it.

Well I think if you do that you're gonna have the foundation start to sink from a corner over the years.

I suggested we should place gravel down without digging at all.

He says we'll need to dig as least a little bit and line the bottom of the gravel with wooden planks.

Which is it /diy/ ??
>>
>>1204473
The whole point of a foundation is to spread the load out over a large area. Means less pressure so no sinking.
Gravel into soft soil will probably migrate and sink. If you use graded gravel and laid down at least twice as thick as the largest particle you might get away with it because it spreads the load. Geotextile under the gravel will help.

Wood in a foundation is dumb because it will rot.

If you want to go balls out then concrete pad maybe 100mm thick.

How big is this shed? Most 6x4' type just end up with the joists on 4 or 6 concrete blocks to keep the wood dry.
Realistically a shed weighs fuck all.
What do you mean English mud, up in Scotland we have mud because it rains every fucking day.
>>
File: 456581802_01_1[1].jpg (28KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
456581802_01_1[1].jpg
28KB, 470x470px
>>1204478
Thanks for ye' answer.

I still stand by concrete being dumb because if it doesnt sick, it is definately not going to sit flush with the soil on account of erosion. There will be gaps between soil and concrete, not to mention twisting and sinking.

And aye, the wood was a dumb idea..So you suggest a sort of larger-something to stop the small rocks sinking into the soil...
Would those large flat concrete slabs do the trick?
>>
File: Shed-Pier-Blocks-300x300.jpg (26KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Shed-Pier-Blocks-300x300.jpg
26KB, 300x300px
>>1204473
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNaXdLWt17A
Piers could work. But that is overkill for a shed.
>>1204481
Those blocks could work. Around here we use precast concrete block that also holds the subfloor. (pic related) If it sinks a bit, just lift up the area and put another thin block under it.
>>
>>1204473

If it's just as bad in the Netherlands the "right" way to do it is to get piles driven. Just having a large foundation does nothing on our soil, it will tilt based on ground water flows etc.

Personally I'd just build it on a solid frame so you can keep jacking and shimming it.
>>
pier blocks or dig and cast real piers with a sonotube like 2-3'. the building isnt going anywhere in your lifetime.
>>
>>1204473
How big is the shed and does it freeze where you live? The "correct" way to do this varies hugely on the climate
>>
Bongfag here, get a long spirit level and a spade. make the ground as flat as possible, then get a load of cheap paving slabs from b&q or somewhere, the 70p each ones are fine. Put slabs down, assemble shed. Fill with crap and abandon until you need another shed.

t. family has a shed addiction
>>
>>1204658
No, its the UK, London to be precise.

I was opting to use permeable fabric over the mud and gravel stones.
>>
>>1204936
If I were you I would just do a simple sonotube foundation with like 4 tubes, real simple and easy and shouldn't cost too much. Its extremely solid and won't even sink on you in your lifetime
>>
>>1204473
Cement pilings.

/thread
>>
>>1205069
might be better off mixing the cement into concrete first?
>>
>>1204473
dad and i did a similar thing last year, not as bad 'mud' as is the case with yourself but it was still pretty bad

in the end we got the mud as flat as possible then filled the area with about 8 inches of gravel, went over it with a roller, then whacked the shed on. been pretty sturdy
>>
>>1205073
Then you'd just have concrete with too much cement in the mix.
>>
Why do people keep saying the cement piling meme.

They will sink. Simple.As.

You need a large surface area, not concentrated points in the mud, because then one will eventually start to sink.
>>
>>1205398
People also keep saying paving slabs
>>
>>1204473
the proper way to do this would be dig down about 6-8 inches then get gravel and sand (dolomite) and wack it down then build on that. it should also stop a lot of the damp coming up.
>>
>>1204473
google slab on grade.
basic stuff my man.
>>
>>1204936
Did this recently, just dig down an inch or so and level out. Throw a load of sand down. Make a grid of paving slabs (I used 16 for an 8ft by 12 ft shed) and fill the gaps with gravel. Board up the edges with some decking boards. About £180 for materials from Wickes, max
>>
File: 7b0[3].jpg (67KB, 600x801px) Image search: [Google]
7b0[3].jpg
67KB, 600x801px
>>1204473
Obligatory
>>
http://www.diy.com/help-ideas/how-to-build-a-shed-base/CC_npcart_700021.art
>>
>>1204473
>and it's not even level
Did you expect it to be?
>>
Here in Louisiana where the ground always wet we use piles driven deep underground
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.