[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old milling machine and chinese crap.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1.jpg (61KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
61KB, 750x750px
Long post.
Okay, so I recently got an old Victoria/Elliott milling machine for cheap. Got it set up in my workshop and it seems to run just fine. Motor sounds good, gearbox seems fine, auto-feeds work. Runout measured on the spindle is less than a thou.
The machine is at least 50 years old and hasn't been used in 20 years so it does need some cleanup before it can be put to proper use again, but I am quite happy.
I do however have two questions for DIY:
1. The sump in this machine is fucking filthy. Old coolant, grease and oil, left over from decades past, don't think it has ever been cleaned. I have a small pump on hand and it did a decent job getting the old coolant and some of the filth out, but most of the thick old crap remains. I don't want to throw away too much cash on a special pump that I'll only use a few times, so does anyone have any good ideas for a cheap solution?
2. I am a bit strapped for cash so I resorted to buying some cheap Chinese crap tools to get me startet. Milling chuck with collets, some bits, etc, and I'm thinking of buying a cheap dividing head and a small rotary table as well. I know that this stuff isn't quality, and I am planning on replacing it with some better stuff once I can afford it, but I'm curious to hear from anyone else who has bought the cheap Chinese crap. How bad is it? Can you still do a decent job with it if you take it easy and don't expect too much?
>>
>>1204442
Amazing find!

1: Take it apart, photograph it as you take it apart so you know how to put it back together. Degrease and clean everything. Make some tools out of wire to reach hard to reach places. Grease/oil it up and put it back together.

2: Cheap shit is cheap because it is very inconsistent, either in spec or durability. Sometimes, you get one that works perfectly and lasts a long long time. Most of the time it is shit, is off spec, and lasts about as long as 1 good job.
>>
>>1204443

Thanks Anon!

1. Good general advice,actually bought new grease and oil today. The sump is a different beast though, it is in the base of the machine, so it is really hard to get at, but I guess wire tools is the way I have to do it. Gonna take forever :p

2. Good point, I don't expect the milling bit's I bought to last long, but if I'm lucky the chuck and collets will be tolerable.
>>
I assume pic related? Looks super nice, how much was it? Can you take the sump off/apart? If I were you and had the time, I'd love to completely take apart the thing and clean the ever-living shit out of each individual part. De-rust what needs de-rusting, paint what needs painting, etc. Old tool refurbishment is one of my favorite things to do.

I don't know your milling experience (I, personally, have none), but cheap tools seem like a good idea for now until you gitgud at the craft. Better to fuck up the 3 dollar bit than the 30 dollar one. Plus learning how to do a good job on shit tools makes you that much better when you get the good stuff.
>>
>>1204462
Yup, pic related.
Cost me about 900 american bucks. (cheap where I live)
I'm not sure if I have the time or need to COMPLETELY disassemble the whole machine, but I love tool refurbishment myself so I'll go over most of the machine and clean it up.
I have some milling experience, but I am a blacksmith by trade not a machinist, and far more experienced with a lathe, so yeah, might as well wreck some cheap shit while I'm learning.
>>
>>1204466
Hell yeah man. If you don't mind me derailing the thread a bit, how'd you get into blacksmithing? What kinda work do you do, and would you recommend it? I've been looking into picking up a trade, so I'd love your opinion on your line of work. Thanks!
>>
>>1204468
No prob man. I actually got into it through art-school. Where I live there really wasn't anywhere to go to get schooling or apprenticeship when I was younger, but I found out that the Academy of the Arts in my hometown had a forge so I applied there, got in, dug into the forge like a tick and stayed there for a few years.
Been running my own workshop for close to a year now. Most of the work I do is commission based, so whatever the client needs. What I get asked to do most is either small-ish decorative pieces, custom tools (knives, axes, chisels etc) or custom welding jobs (not blacksmithing, but it pays well).
As a career, it is hard to be a full time blacksmith, at least where I live, demand isn't that great, so it helps to have some extra skills, like welding and machining so you can take on other small jobs, or have some other supplementary income. I rent out parts of my workshop for example to cover some costs.
But I would for sure recommend it. It is a hugely satisfying and fun craft, and if you just wanna get into it as a hobby it doesn't have to cost that much to get started either.
>>
>>1204475
Nice, thanks for the insight!
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.