[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steam?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

Gentlemen,

I apologize if this is a bad post.

However my question is as follows:

You can use high pressure water to cut objects, why wouldn't you use steam?

Pro/Con?
>>
>>1203799
What do you think steam is?
>>
con: it's hot so it'll deform many materials
con: making a steam pump is much harder than a water pump
con: you need a big fucking boiler to continually turn water into steam
>>
>>1203803
What if you already had steam on site already e.g a refinery?
>>
It's inherently dangerous to keep hot steam around, unlike water.
>>
>>1203813
This.
Steam is used for specific purposes that require compression/release in an energy cycle. Water jets just need high pressure and work amazingly well for cool temperature cutting.
>>
>>1203799
You can use a bike to get to work, why not a sink?
>>
>>1203799
All these fucking morons

Steam, a gas, is easily compressible.
Water on the other hand is not.

On account of this difference in physical property, this makes water both a cutting agent and carrier for abbrassive.

Steam is such a safety hazard BECAUSE it's compressible. Once the pressure is released, it expands with significant force.
>>
File: IMG_3132.jpg (26KB, 437x336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3132.jpg
26KB, 437x336px
>>1203854
Even for a shitpost this is too much. How fucking stupid are you?
>>
>>1203888
But he's right.
>>
OP, you do know that waterjet saws work because they carry an abrasive? Steam can't suspend an abrasive to cut the material.
>>
>>1203801
A dead man's soul escaping from his body
>>
>>1203854
So much this, there is a society of engineers created specifically because steam power kept blowing people to bits because of improper handling. Stick to water power, and not steam
>>
>>1203799
For the most part water jets do not use water to cut. They use an abrasive added to water. The abrasive does the cutting.
Even then, steam will simply expand out from the nozzle, unlike liquid it has no surface tension so it can't be focused like liquid can.
>>
>>1204019
If they wouldn't pressurize it there would be no problem retard
>>
>>1204053
Without pressure how would steam cut?
>>
>>1204085
Heat steam to 2x melting point dumbass
>>
>>1204025
I've seen a liquid nitrogen cutting system that worked well, with no abrasive.
>>
>>1204323
>For the most part
Water can cut by itself, just not as well as water+abrasives.
Cutting with steam is like cutting by blowing on it very hard : even Superman doesn't do it in movies. What got into OP's mind?
>>
>>1204183
>Heat steam to 2800 degrees for aluminum
>Heat steam to 5600 degrees for iron and steel
Negroid, do you know how much energy and pressure you're talking about here?
>>
>>1204605
Never mind how he would even contain it then. Titanium I guess? Or maybe with magnetic fields?
>>
>>1204610
A shipping container, dumbass
>>
>>1204623
...a TITANIUM shipping container, you mean!
>>
>>1203805
You can use it to clean an old engine block.....not that i'd know from experience.

But even 1200# steam won't cut metal(just make it explode, amirite?). You'd have to get somewhere between the steam generator and the pressure regulator for more, and you'd probably just end up in the monthly site wide safety meeting as a lost time or fatality
>>
Have you ever heard of erosion?
That's what water-jet cutting is.
Wind erosion is a thing, but water-jets are obviously better than wind.
>>
>>1204630
But what would you do with the imitation crab?
>>
>>1205658
Bait for wasps.
>>
>>1205649
The only reason why either of those are effective is because they carry abrasives. Without the wind or water carrying sand or other particulates, the effect is diminished greatly.
>>
>>1205683
Wind or compressed air in a sand blaster is clearly inferior to water as a carrier for abrasive in the context of cutting objects because the water cleans itself up. Otherwise everyone would simply use sand blasters to cut, if that was even possible.
>>
>>1205679
I wasn't aware that old white folks liked imitation crab.
>>
>>1203854
>steam, a gas
you dumb fuck
>>
>>1205779
After all, it is you who is the fuck, of dumb.
>>
>>1205779
>Ib4 ironic pretending to be dumb
>>
>>1205801
>using Wikipedia instead of being educated

Go ask your physics teacher. Are ecigarettes pumping out gas to?
>>
>>1205833
I mean, Wikipedia is a pretty good universal source of general information, better than Yahoo Answers in any case. People criticise Wikipedia for its lack of credibility, but that only really stands for things of political or otherwise debated nature. If there's an article in a scientific journal entitled "steam is not a gas" then I'd like to see it. Is an anonymous guy on an anime forum saying "steam is a gas" somehow more credible than posting a wikipedia article? Are you stupid?
>>
>>1205833
>vapers
Every time
>>
>>1205833
Too*
>>
>>1203888
Lol, you don't know the difference between water vapour and steam, and you're calling HIM stupid?
>>
>>1205926
Actually, "water vapour" ALSO refers to the gaseous form of water, not the dispersed particulate liquid form. I guess water vapour is the low temperature stuff while steam is the high temperature stuff? Still a bit odd.
>>
>>1203888

He's right. Trust me, I had to take college thermo twice.
>>
>>1203799
differnce is void.

in direction of maximum flow, the pressure will be that high when hitting the object, that the steam becomes liquid again. You are still cutting with water, but with a very fuzzy and unfocust stream.
>>
>>1205968
>I guess water vapour is the low temperature stuff while steam is the high temperature stuff? Still a bit odd.
They're both gaseous water vapor, but the distinction has to do with where you find them and what you do with them. "Water vapor" typically refers to gaseous water in the atmosphere at atmospheric temperature. Partial pressure is low in the absolute sense, but it may be close to the point at which it condenses out of the air. "Steam" typically refers to gaseous water that is significantly hotter and higher partial pressure than what you'd find in the air. It can typically sustain itself as a pure-water gas against atmospheric pressure due to its temperature, and in practical uses, it's typically hotter and higher-pressure still. For example, the supercritical steam used in power plants is extremely hot and pressurized, to the point that a supercritical steam leak can slice flesh like a lightsaber, and due to the thermodynamics involved, it doesn't form visible clouds of condensation at the leak. It's just not good at cutting hard/strong metals like steel because steel is both mechanically strong enough to resist the pressure and heat-resistant enough to not be bothered by the temperature.
>>
>>1206496
That explains a lot, thanks.
>>
>>1203986

You know, if you stab a man in the dead of winter, steam will rise up from the wounds. Indians believed it was his soul escaping from his body.
>>
Using electrolysis you can extract both hydrogen gas and oxygen gas from water, however by boiling it you extract water gas.

Is this the type of shit they teach at nigger academy?
>>
>>1207007
>water gas
It's called steam, but it is correct. By boiling water you are putting energy towards breaking the hydrogen-bonds between each water molecule, which allows the molecules to be free of their neighbours and float away as a gas. Boiling water takes significantly less energy than splitting it into hydrogen and oxygen, hence why the product of heating water is steam, not the two split gasses.

When applying a voltage across water however, you are putting an electric field through the water which pulls the negative, oxygen part of the polar molecule towards the positive electrode, and the positive, hydrogen part to the negative electrode. When this voltage is increased enough, you split apart the water molecules by force, regardless of it being easier to boil them. I guess.
>>
>>1207020
>regardless of it being easier to boil them. I guess.
When you boil water, you have to heat up the entire volume of water before you start boiling an appreciable amount, which takes a lot of energy given water's large heat capacity. Electrolysis can start as soon as you apply a voltage. It takes more energy to split than to boil x amount of water, but electrolysis involves less energy being held in the water itself as it happens.
>>
>>1207029
I was assuming that the water was already at boiling point, because water's specific heat capacity and water's enthalpy of vaporisation are two seperate things.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.