[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cutting/working with ruby in a DIY setting.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: Ruby boule.jpg (155KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
Ruby boule.jpg
155KB, 636x358px
I have the option to buy some cheap ruby boules originally inentend for ruby laser tubes. There are some minor inclusions but still good for artistic use. They are between 3700 and 5400 carat.

Would it be possible to carve them into stuff in a home setting without special jewelers tools or is this too impractical. How should i go about this. I have experience with wood but this my first time working with stone or stone like materials.

My first thought was to use an angle grinder and make it into a wet saw. A diamond disk should be able to cut corundum and the use of water would eliminate the dust.
I am not really sure how to do the smaller carving, is a dremel powerful enough?

How well would corundum sandpaper work for cleaning it up?
>>
>>1203481
I would try to use a dremel. But I have no experience either.
>>
>>1203481
Ruby has a hardness of 9 Mohs, same as corundum. Diamond is 10 Mohs.

You might be able to work it with diamond wheels.
>>
Ruby...the second-hardest metal
>>
>>1203730
Dude, ruby is a vitamin.
>>
>>1203481
>Would it be possible to carve them into stuff in a home setting without special jewelers tools or is this too impractical.
It's possible, but it would be a hassle. How much of a hassle you're willing to go through with naturally depends on you.

>stone or stone like materials
Single crystal aluminum oxide is not much like stone at all. It's among the hardest gemstones. It is enormously harder, tougher, and more difficult to work with than even hard stones like granite. Small crystals are the most common abrasive for a reason.

An angle grinder probably spins much too fast. Even with a diamond disk under water, surface speed should be relatively low. It will cut, but it will be slow. A dremel with a diamond cutting tip will likewise remove material, but it will be slow.

Corundum sandpaper will not work at all for smoothing. It's the same material, and the small grains will handle the contact worse than the big piece. Once you have it smooth, it might work as a buffing compound to make it shiny though. Diamond or silicon carbide abrasives are harder.
>>
>>1203481

Angle grinder is way too fast. A tile saw with a diamond blade can work, if you make a zero-clearance insert for it (without ruining coolant flow somehow). Craigslist always has a few tile saws up for cheap.

If you plan on trying to facet, though. that's not going to happen without a lapidary machine. Not well, anyway. They're not HORRIBLY expensive, considering the potential cost of the raw materials they're meant to process, but they're not exactly priced to be disposable, either.
>>
>>1203735
So an angle gringer spins too fast resulting in a slower cut.
Did not expect this but you seems to know what you are talking about.

What other tool would be better to do this? Something slower with more tork?
Tnx for the silicon carbite tip.
>>
>>1203741
The zero clearance for the tile saw is dooable, im not planning on making facets.
Like always it seems that i will spend more on tools then on the raw materials themselves.
>>
>>1203741
I use my pottery wheel as a lap wheel. I glue diamond grit pads onto plastic bats, affix them to the wheel head via the bat pins, and set up a water drip feed over the pad with a bucket of water and plastic tubing. If you're considering getting into both ceramics and glass/lapidary work, this is a nice setup.
>>
>>1203734
No, it's a shitty web cartoon.
>>
Okay so I've cut some rediculously hard and expensive research crystals before, and what we use to do precise cuts is either a slowspeed diamond wheel in lubricated water, or a diamond wire saw with lubricated water.

You're never going to get the wire saw, but maybe you can rig up a ghetto diamond saw or find one for sorta cheap.
>>
>>1203771
Shut you whore mouth.
>>
>>1203734
No Ruby damces toples on Saturday down the street.
>>
>>1203706
>Same as corundum
Because Ruby emerald sapphire ect are all corundum with different impurities that give them color
>>
>>1204620
Yea everyone derps sometimes
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
How cheap?
Because you can still carve what you want in plastic, make a mold and pour ruby colored resin.
>>
>>1203481
I hear that tungsten carbide is about as hard or a little bit harder than ruby. The ball in ballpoint pens is made of tungsten carbide. So in theory, all you need is a pen. Or a thousand.
>>
you know what you have to make with the ruby
>>
>>1204620
>Ruby emerald sapphire
Ruby, sapphire, and padparadscha are all forms of corundum, which is crystalline aluminum oxide. Emerald is an entirely different mineral, beryl (beryllium aluminum cyclosilicate) with green impurities.
>>
Where are you getting 1000+ carat shit from?
>>
>>1206449
OP indicates that he has a hookup with QC failed boules from a laser tube manufacturer. Rubies are relatively easy to grow to large sizes these days industrially.
>>
>>1203743
>So an angle gringer spins too fast resulting in a slower cut.
For the time it actually cuts, it cuts faster. The problem is that grinding generates heat at the point of grinding, and a harder material and higher abrasive surface speed generate higher temperatures. Grinding ruby with diamond at 150mph (typical of an angle grinder) would probably set the diamond on fire, but even if it didn't, it would chew up the wheel pretty fast. Recommended masonry cutting speeds are based on balancing productivity against abrasive life, and the water often used serves to help keep things cool. Something like a purpose-made masonry saw with water cooling would probably work best for the store-bought options, though since it's optimized for conventional masonry, you'll still probably have rather short blade life. Some kind of extra-slow custom rig as mentioned here >>1203982 could give you decent blade life.
>>
>>1206476
I wish I had his hookup. Laser ruby is still super expensive on fleabay.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.