[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

transformers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: Transformer.filament.agr.jpg (159KB, 769x550px) Image search: [Google]
Transformer.filament.agr.jpg
159KB, 769x550px
>more than meets the eye
I have an enclosed 50w 12V lump of metal transformer. Can I use it somewhere or is it just paper weight
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 634x741px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 634x741px
You could wire up a pretty badass doorbell with it
>>
>>1203082
your PC runs of 12V and 5V
>>
>>1203082
get a big ass capacitor and a bridge rectifier and have yourself a party
>>
File: os41835[1].jpg (236KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
os41835[1].jpg
236KB, 500x500px
>>
>>1203134
hot stuff
>>
>>1203082
that is a tube filament transformer for 6.3v and 12.6 volt tubes, it is rated at about 1.2 amps.
>>
>>1203082
>I have an enclosed 50w 12V lump of metal transformer.
6.3vac @ 1.2a = 7.56w

green - green/white - green
|---- 3.12v ----|---- 3.12v ----|
|-------------- 6.3v --------------|
>>
>>1203188
>>1203212
sorry it is not mine just a picture I found
mine has 2 lines for in 2 lines for out and tightly enclosed
it says 12V 50VA, I guess it is generally used for halogen spot lights
>>
>>1203328
Your an asshole, post pics of your transformer.

no help for you!
>>
consider yourself lucky. some guy was in here some time ago asking where to get an AC transformer coz everything on ebay was DC power supplies. i checked and he was right. they're becoming very rare.

so, if you have any sensitive audio or instrumentation projects, these are perfect coz they dont have the noise from switching supplies. my audio mixer, for example, requires an 12Vac adapter for this very reason.

another common usage is when you wanna generate a portable 120Vac from a 12V battery.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (181KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
181KB, 1920x1080px
>>1203082
build a bench power supply
>>
File: _20170308_212548.jpg (60KB, 458x480px) Image search: [Google]
_20170308_212548.jpg
60KB, 458x480px
>>1203404
>Transformers
>Becoming rare
>>
>>1203453
Mains frequency transformers have largely went out of fashion.
Ferrite transformers for 9001kHz switchers are very common.
>>
>>1203455
Searching eBay for a 120V transformer yeilds tons of results. They're in almost every commercial building. They're not going anywhere.
>>
>>1203509
Yeah, sure. You can find tons of vacuum tubes from eBay as well. Even then, anything new rarely uses mains frequency transformers, unless the required power is pretty high. And OP's 50W transformer or any wall wart -style transformer (for that audio mixer) does not count as "high power".
>>
>>1203536
talking out the ass like a jew, the post
>>
>>1203570

the guy is right. if you visited this store 15 years ago, they would have had 100's of different AC transformers covering a huge range of voltages and currents. today, there's only 18 and they're almost all middle of the road units in the 6-24V range.
https://addison-electronique.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=transformateur
>>
>>1203536
>And OP's 50W transformer
is it because it is only 50? as I said it is quite heavy and big and not a wallmart style it has input and output terminals
>>
>>1203536
That doesn't make them rare. They're still extremely common. Just because you don't find them in home Depot doesn't mean they're hard to get. Any HVAC store will carry some universal transformers.
>>
>>1203404

>another common usage is when you wanna generate a portable 120Vac from a 12V battery.

Umm, just, NO!
>>
File: 1499132629386.jpg (90KB, 775x518px) Image search: [Google]
1499132629386.jpg
90KB, 775x518px
>>
>>1203941
Shame the explanation doesn't mention the crazy high, input voltage dependent, spikes you'll get on the output on anything that isn't a high load. Sure you could use a capacitor to reduce the spikes, but it will need to be big and you'd waste so much power it'd be dumb.
>>
>>1203603
50W transformer is too heavy for wall wart style construction, but not too big to be replaced with a switching mode power supply. 50W switchers are available as wall warts, though.

>>1203607
That's the usual progression with obsolete technology. At some point HVAC stores drop them too, unless there's some special need for low voltage AC in HVAC.
>>
>>1203949
>>>1203603
>50W transformer is too heavy for wall wart style construction, but not too big to be replaced with a switching mode power supply. 50W switchers are available as wall warts, though.
>>>1203607
>That's the usual progression with obsolete technology. At some point HVAC stores drop them too, unless there's some special need for low voltage AC in HVAC.

24vac is the control circuit voltage for pretty much all hvac systems you don't buy at wally world. You're only focusing on end user products that are more or less crap, or charging. Transformers of this size will never, ever go away. Noone in their right mind would use a switch mode supply on a control circuit because of their reliability. It's also why the voltages are usually ac, not DC. Hvac stores will drop controllers, models etc. But not control xfomers.. That's like saying car shops are dropping brake pads cause of regenerative braking.

But it'll be a cold day in hell when I use a switch mode power supply for audio anything. The very concept alone make me laugh. Amps need nice stable rails no matter what stage and switch modes may have come a long way but not far enough in decent audio applications.

>xformers
>obsolete technology

Bwahaahahahaah
>>
>>1204777
>24vac is the control circuit voltage for pretty much all hvac systems you don't buy at wally world.

that may be true now but people's expectations are changing rapidly. in our condo unit, nobody is happy that we have to go up to the roof to twist a knob in order to change the temperature in the corridors. people want wireless control, remote monitoring on their smart phones, and email notifications when things go wrong.

>Noone in their right mind would use a switch mode supply on a control circuit because of their reliability.

sure, the same way nobody will buy a $600 smart phone that you change every 2 years when an AT&T dial phone does the same job and lasts 30 years.
>>
>>1204777
>Noone in their right mind would use a switch mode supply on a control circuit because of their reliability
Switchers are reliable enough for medical devices, industrial automation, satellites and so on. Your argument is so wrong it isn't even funny.
Besides, last time I checked, HVAC didn't seem to particularly avoid microcontrollers and the related technologies. Even computer control and wireless links have found their way to HVAC. Certainly you aren't claiming those are inherently more reliable than switchers?
>It's also why the voltages are usually ac, not DC.
If there's an actual, decent reason for using AC (motors?), then it's bit different.

>But it'll be a cold day in hell when I use a switch mode power supply for audio anything.
I don't know or care about you personally, but class D amplifiers are pretty common now and they take the switching concept even further than the switching PSUs.
Dunno if high end audio will stick to lump of steel transformers for the rest of the eternity, but it is more likely that they go the way of tube amplifiers.
>>
>>1204793
None of this even relates to what he said. He said it uses 24V to control the components. Even if you have a fucking remote, it communicates with a control board that switches 24V from the transformer. You cannot make the transformer obsolete yet, as every single building with an advanced A/C system has a bare minimum of 1, not even mentioning pcb mount transformers, which are identical in operation.
>>
>>1204850
Not that guy, but again, those things are unrelated to the 24V AC controls past switching 24V AC on and off.

It is the universal platform for wiring homes, and a regular transformer still provides it.

If one company decides to do anything different, their product is suddenly not compatible with every other product.
>>
>>1203082
And one more thing
>sure, the same way nobody will buy a $600 smart phone that you change every 2 years when an AT&T dial phone does the same job and lasts 30 years.
Except that no one gives a shit how their A/C works, as long as it does. It's still cheaper and more efficient to use a transformer for controls, and any needed upgrades like automation or remote ability can be added to the controller. A better comparison would be replacing a flip phone with a flip phone with a tiny refrigerator inside. Nobody wants it.
>>
>>1204850
>Switchers are reliable enough for medical devices, industrial automation, satellites and so on. Your argument is so wrong it isn't even funny.

Strictly speaking, aerospace and life-safety equipment is built to a whole other level of standard. It doesn't matter that you have to spend the cash to make a power supply triple redundant or some shit when it's being put into something where "low-end" is five figures. The power supplies in an MRI are in no way comparable to a $1 Shenzhen Special wall wart. As an aside, weight is also a top concern in anything not anchored to the ground.

Transformers are more reliable. Period. Barring some other failure that fries it out or outright mechanical damage, a dumb transformer will function as long as the insulation on the windings holds (which, as far as I'm aware, is usually at least 30 years). That's not to say you necessarily need that level of reliability, but, currently, getting the same out of a switch mode power supply costs more than an equivalent transformer (at least for relatively low loads).

While there are a lot of control components that have switched to semiconductor rather than electromechanical control, these are generally more reliable than the power supply itself. Power supplies, by their nature, tend to generate more heat and have more sensitive parts (particularly electrolytic capacitors), leading to a disproportionate amount of equipment failures.

>Even computer control and wireless links have found their way to HVAC. Certainly you aren't claiming those are inherently more reliable than switchers?

No, but, thing is, "control from smartphone" reads more favorably on a sales brochure. Added value (perceived or real) in terms of demonstrable features is weighted very heavily against product quality these days, ESPECIALLY in a consumer market. Industrial settings are more demanding (because downtime is money), but that doesn't mean they're completely immune.
>>
>>1204793
>>1204850

You're joking right? You're comparing control circuits to cell phone control.

Bwahaahahahaah you are sooooo dumb. In fact that type of thinking is what causes accidents.

It's not about having microcontrollers you dumb shit. It's about pilots, fuel trains, ac loops, breaker controls, relays, etc. Of course theres a uC in there fucker. Of course theres some box that plugs into the comms bus and provides your special snowflake app it's data.

But most of the instrumentation and outputs and relays pretty much work off that control circuit. The control xfomer provides more functionality that just transformation as well, which cannot be done with a complex switching supply. Not to mention the fact that a xfomer can't burst into flames like your switcher, even the 1500 dollar ones i use known as quint power supplies - fail way more than xfomers and very dramatically.

But you can't be taught these fundamentals cause I'd expect you'll come out with some bs like "hurr durr they'll make an app for that and AC is obsolete technology"

>Fuck off fagget
>>
>>1203599
>anecdotal evidence from one shitty store

also
>not ordering custom wound transformers
>>
>>1203944
Put a resistor in series with the capacitor to form an RC snubber, sure it'll still waste some power but its better than blowing transistors or the load.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.