[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electronic Components Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

Summer is here and I have time to complete my projects, so I'll be ordering a bunch of components at once from Mouser to get free shipping. Let's share our favorite components and expand our collection together.

>What components have you bought recently?
>What components are a must in your parts bin?
>What useful obscure components do you have?

I'm currently looking for general purpose instrumentation amplifiers, memory ICs for a uC, RTC's, a boost converter capable of reaching 200 volts and HV shift registers for a nixie and VFD clock.
>>
>>1203018

were can u buy resisters
>>
>>1203020
I order them in bulk from aliexpress.
>>
File: panic diy dentistry.jpg (66KB, 573x621px) Image search: [Google]
panic diy dentistry.jpg
66KB, 573x621px
>>1203018

I feel like this is too niche and autistic to warrant its own thread.

But, uh, yeah, I needed some buffers for an optical encoder. *A* buffer, rather.

I ended up buying a full reel of 2500 because I have a problem, I think.
>>
>>1203023
Ever since I started with electronics I found it hard to find what components I should use. I've been wanting to create this kind of thread for a very long time. Maybe in this thread we can create a general component list to be added to the /ohm/ pastebin.
Yeah, it's probably too specific, I thought more anons would show up.
>>
>>1203029
I love the idea of this thread

Too much of a dumbass to properly contribute though, I just fuck around with AliExpress Pis and Arduinos
Pro Micros and Pro Minis have really held me back I think, they're $5 and I fall back on them everytime
How2into real electronics?
Project ideas / book recommendations?
How'd you guys start?
>>
Can anyone tell me how this plug is called? It's from a Phillips N2204 portable cassette player if that helps
>>
>>1203913
I usually use Aliexpress for simple stuff. I suggest you check the /ohm/ pastebin for recomendations on projects, books and leaning about electronics.
I started messing around with electronics with a simple phone charger and some LEDs when I was 16 and now I'm in a EE (not doing great tho, but I love electronics)
>>1204083
I have searched to no avail, maybe ask in SQT?
>>
OP here again.
Here's my complete list of electronic stuff I plan to buy:

>Real time clocks (they keep time by counting robot sheep in their silicon brains):
DS1307: "cheap" and does the job
DS3231: at 7.50€ per chip this is the most expensive IC I've bought, it seems to keep time like a pro, I'll buy more if the DS1307 disappoints me.

>Amplifiers (transform a voltage into a greater one)
LM358: General purpose dual basic OP amp, I also have LM833s (for an mic amp project), LM324's (quad OP amp), 386's and 741's (although they're kinda old fashioned) and TL082 (don't even know why)
INA826: Instrumentation amplifier from TI, general purpose and good enough (I think), I looked around mouser's website and it seemed ok, I might be shooting myself in the foot tho, it's the first time I choose electronic parts by my own

>uControllers (a tiny wizard inside controls your circuits)
Attiny2313: handy little uC, I also have Attiny85's, I want to get into PIC someday too.

>Regulators (they output a constant fixed voltage)
1117's: 3.3, 5 and adjustables, handy little regulators.

>Memory IC
24LC256ISM: Another shot in the dark, 256k of EEPROM storage for big data storage.

>Temperature sensor
DS1631: Board mount SOIC8 temperature sensor, 0.5C error, my instincts tell me there's a better and cheaper way to do the job, but I'll go with this.

>Random stuff
ESP8266: because IoT is errywhere and I haven't jumped on the bandwagon
Crystals: 32.768KHz for the DS1307, 12.5pF load (needs to have this capacitance, otherwise the time keeping error goes wild) 12ppm, from Citizen (probably the watches company?)
Piezos: A couple of 12mm and 20mm piezos from Murata

I'm just missing a transistor array (PNP) with common collector (or shift register that can switch between negative and positive logic) and a HV shift register/transistor array.
>>
This is my final list, I'll probably order in a couple of days.
Any thoughts?
There are some sensors like the HDC1010 which are not well documented, so retrieving the data from them might be an interesting challenge.

I ordered a soldering station with hot air to solder the SMD stuff, I'll practice in order to git gud before attempting to solder more expensive sensors and ICs.
I'm going to buy MG Chemicals' leaded solder paste.
>>
I feel like the electronic component list idea has potential and should not be abandoned, so I created a pastebin with common components and brief descriptions/characteristics that will hopefully will be added to the /ohm/ thread where users can keep expanding it and benefiting from it.

Here's what it looks after 30 minutes of work:
https://pastebin.com/ZwSqS503

I'm going for a swim, there's a lot to add, I'll keep adding stuff.
>>
>>1204736
A few suggestions from an old fart...
>TL082 (don't even know why)
LM324/358 are designed for low power, and sacrifice signal quality. TL08x are designed for higher bandwidth and higher input impedance which can be nice for sensors and such.
>I want to get into PIC someday too.
Curious, why? I can think of nothing too cool in the 8-bit PIC line that you're not already getting with AVR, except for maybe 12Mbps USB 1.1 in a DIP form factor. Besides, the assembly language is no fun, there's no gcc for the 8-bit line, and they take 4 cycles per instruction.
If USB peripherals do tickle your fancy, ATMEGA(16|32)U(2|4) are available in QFP, depending on how many I/O you like and how much flash you want. Add some 8MHz crystals and appropriate load caps, and a USB-B jack or a cable ofc. LUFA is a versatile and useful USB framework for Atmel with tons of examples.
Also, TIL there are ARM cores in PDIP-8 packages. See the LPC810 series if you happen to be intrigued.
>24LC256ISM: Another shot in the dark, 256k of EEPROM storage for big data storage.
Bretty gud. Also consider something like the 25LF040 for really big data storage, if you have an application that allows for writing in 4k blocks.
>I'm just missing a transistor array (PNP) with common collector (or shift register that can switch between negative and positive logic) and a HV shift register/transistor array.
"Little logic" is also nice to have around: single or dual 7400 series gates in SOT23 or TSOP packages. A few very handy ones off the top of my head are the 74HCT1G66 single analog switch, 74HCT1G79/80 D flip-flops, and 74HCT2G04 dual inverter, which sounds like it might be helpful for your shift register woes.
>>
>>1204736
Another suggestion:
>DS1631: Board mount SOIC8 temperature sensor, 0.5C error, my instincts tell me there's a better and cheaper way to do the job, but I'll go with this.
Consider the LM75 if you don't mind a bit more error or the MCP9843 if you want more accuracy. In either case, if you need a precise thermostat function, you can pair with an ATTINY or something. OTOH if you just need the thermostat and not the fine programmability, consider the TMP302[A-D] series.
>>
>>1205965
>>1205969
Thanks for all the advice, I'll probably go and learn about ARMs and leave PICs for another time. I already used the STM32 discovery board and it was pretty easy and fun.
The LM75 doesn't has the accuracy needed for the project I have in mind, which is a simple alarm clock.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
>>
>>1203023
Supply chain management is more than what a general electronics thread is concerned with.

>>1203018
The quick and easy way to build up bulk for shit you burn through quick is to just cough up for the shit presorted and packaged. If you look up Joe Knows Electronics on Amazon, you can get resistors, caps, diodes, and transistors by the shitload and ready to go.

As for ICs and oddballs, what you should stock depends on what you do. I make a lot of temperature monitoring and AC control shit, so I keep TMP36 sensors and Atmel microcontrollers on hand and they keep me satisfied.
>>
>>1206968
>Supply chain management is more than what a general electronics thread is concerned with.
Supply chain *mis*management, on the other hand, is the very stuff of the hobby.
>>
>>1203018
I built a nixie tube clock last year. I used the power supply shown here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/High-Voltage-Power-Supply-for-Nixie-and-Valve-Tube/
It has no problem powering 6 IN-14 nixie tubes. I have no prior experience with switch mode power supplies so I can't really rate it other than to say it works.

You might want to check out some of the recent EEVblog videos. Dave built a nixie tube counter that uses the HV shift registers.
>>
>>1206968
>The quick and easy way to build up bulk for shit you burn through quick is to just cough up for the shit presorted and packaged
I already do this, I have organizer boxes full of resistors and capacitors of many wattages and packages.
I don't have any specific IC I always use, so I rarely order more than 10 units.
>>1206979
I saw that instructable a long time ago and I planned to copy it, the circuit doesn't has any kind of feedback though, so I might make some changes to make it more reliable and eficcient.
I saw all the videos on that project, Dave's vids are great, I now know that you don't need to use high voltage transistor arrays or shift registers, like LEDs, nixies have a drop voltage too, so you can control them with a 50V shift register, for example.
The problem with this is the power supply shouldn't exceed the voltage drop of the nixie plus the maximum voltage of the transistors in the IC, otherwise they'll light up, that's why I plan to redesign the power supply, to ensure the voltage doesn't exceeds a limit.
>>
>>1207301
>the circuit doesn't has any kind of feedback though
Then what's Q11 for?
>>
>>1209394
Oh, I did not see it, I'll test that circuit and see how ot fares. Thanks.
Also, sorry for not continuing with the thread, my internet has been down for 5 days with no end in sight. I'll buy some time with this bump.
>>
I would be grateful if there's a paste bin list
>>
>>1209686
Don't worry about it. /diy/ is a board of slowness and quality. Hope your network comes back up soon.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.