[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sailboat thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

File: s-l500.jpg (39KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
39KB, 500x375px
How stupid is it to buy a sailboat that needs repair in Mexico and spend the winter fixing it up to sell in the spring?
Skillset ;
Master woodworker
Home builder
Spent time employed as an auto mechanic
Good with plumbing and electronics

However I know fuck all about boats.
How steep is the learning curve?
Am I about to piss away all my savings?
>>
the learning curve is steep, the maintenance curve is high, and it's a good thing you have carpentry experience because if you don't plain kill yourself trying to sail it home the DEA will tear it the fuck apart looking for your cocaine
>>
>>1202979
just build your own.
>>
You know just about everything you need to know except fiberglass repair and that isn't that hard.

Yes, you're about to piss away all your savings.

You won't be able to sell it for very much even fixed up.
>>
>>1202979
boats is time and moneypit bro.
moneypit beyond compare, be surprised what one of those fuckers can swallow.
that apart, sounds like a fun project - G'luck, may as well enjoy being poor, accept your fate and do something interesting with your time.
>>
>>1202995
>You won't be able to sell it for very much even fixed up.

Is there no way to avoid this?
Maybe a model that rich people love when fixed up but hate when dilapidated ?
>>
File: IMG_20170501_120043.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170501_120043.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
If making monkey is the main goal, it's gonna be very difficult. You should try to get your hands on a model that's very coveted, and get one that's in really shitty condition, selling for next to nothing.
If it's a wooden boat, you might make a diference, assuming you are truly a MASTER woodworker, and can learn the particularities of boat construction (wich are not dificult nor secret, but you need to do your research and never think you can figure it out by intuition or relating to other things you built). If you got a popular model there's bound to be shittons of info online, look everything up and try to go for "original" or as close as possible. If it's a fiberglass boat, the skills are quite easily learnt, you wont have any trouble, you already know sanding. that's 80% of the work.
The rigging and equipment will represent a big chunk of the boat's value, if you have any experience with steel wires you might be able to deal with it better, otherwise, keep in mind that you might have to change all the wires. You probably will need help from someone with experience to trim everything and tell you what needs to be done. Mast is probably aluminum, which can probably be obvious to the naked eye if is in good or bad condition. Don't try anything stupid on it, the mast is the motor of the boat.
There should (must) also be a motor there, be outboard or internal. If you know nothing about motors, expect to only lose money on that. Otherwise just keep in mind that sailboats motors are 100% utilitarian thing. They don't need a lot of HP, they need to never fail, start easily and get you out of the dock and save your ass in a pinch. So, dont go for fancy but reliable. If you do any work on the motor, keep in mind it's gonna be on the water, so maybe you dont use the same oils, greases, seals, etc.
>>
There are three parts to a sailboat: the part that's in the water, needs to be as waterproof and smooth as possible. the part that's outside of the water (including interiors), this can be fancy, or not, you can go with watever actually, but most important is that the boat is always safe and easy to sail,.
Finally there's the rigging, wich is important and expensive, since it's what moves the boat, and makes it what it is. If you dont know anthing about sailing, just get a new set of ropes before selling, and rig everything how it was meant to be in the original design. I dont really know if you would get a better deal buying new sails or selling it with the ones it came, but a full set of sails and ropes will make it way more appealing.
before doing ANYTHING, look it up online, check with specific forums for sailboats. if you get a popular model, you should find an online community dedicated to that specific boat and every bit, bolt, and nut on it. FOLLOW THEIR DIRECTIONS.

Pic related, my sailboat, (and my cat on the previous one)
>>
>>1202996
>moneypit beyond compare, be surprised what one of those fuckers can swallow.
this, many sailing enthusiasts joke that "boat" is secretly an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand.

that said, I don't see why you couldn't flip boats like some people flip houses or cars. But you won't be able to make money on it if you intend on actually using the boat for a season.
>>
Iv just bought a wooden 3070 class and all it needs is a new gunnel on the left port side and a good epoxy and varnish. Im getting mixed reviews on if I should fiberglass the hull or not. If anyones got experiance on whats the benefit of fiber glass or dynel VS just epoxy base let me know. Iv got alot of sanding ahead of me.
>>
>>1203053
Mainly because people that have money for new boats, buy new boats, and everyone else is in the 'I'll fix it up and save so much!' boat, so they don't want to pay very much.
>>
>>1203037
Catalina Capri 22?
>>
>>1203031
Wait a goddamn minute
Is that a fucking cat inna life jacket?
>>
>>1203053
>But you won't be able to make money on it if you intend on actually using the boat for a season.
why not?
>>
>>1203425
normal wear and tear on the boat will have to be repaired, and so much as repainting a boat is expensive as fuck

even letting it sit in a marina, it'll be encrusted with barnicles and the interior will get groce from rain and disuse

>>1203122
some people are only middle class and will be willing to buy a "like new" recent model just so they dont have to break the bank on their foray into upper class life

sorta like how some people lease high end cars, or buy used but only lightly used cars from dealerships
>>
>>1202979
On a scale of 1 to Gwynneth Paltrow, this is a jade egg soaked in yeast. DON'T FUCKING DO IT! This is coming form someone who has made that mistake before, and that was with a locally bought boat.

I had a boss years ago who said "If you can ride it, float on it or fuck it, it's cheaper to rent."
>>
>>1203604
>"If you can ride it, float on it or fuck it, it's cheaper to rent."
the only case in which this is true is apartments and power tools

and even then it's probably better in the long run (like generational level) to buy a house/condo than rent an equivalent home

people who lease cars are worse than stalin
>>
>>1203604
>"If you can ride it and fuck it, it's cheaper to rent."

...You can rent dogs and horses?
>>
>>1203604
>If you can ride it, float on it or fuck it, it's cheaper to rent."
Wow did you fuck that up.

>If it flies floats or fucks... rent dont buy.

You think boats are expensive?
Try divorce or airplanes
>>
>>1203606
>the only case in which this is true is apartments and power tools
He has the saying wrong. It's "If it flies, floats or fucks, it's cheaper to rent". Or do you think that boats and planes are cheap too?

You should definitely own your own car though.
>>
>>1202979
>How stupid is it to buy a sailboat
>I know fuck all about boats.

This could very well be the worst decision of your life. Boats are dreams but also money pits. Even a good boat in perfect trim is a money pit. And to top it off, you don't know how to sail so you won't know if repairing the topping lift is more important then the main halyard.
>>
Congratulations, you just bought a boat. Money is now leaking out of you pocket. You have to pay to keep it somewhere. That' s monthly charge. You have to have insurance to keep it in the water, another charge. Most marinas in Maryland will no longer except wooden boats (power or sail) without a survey, which you should have got when you bought it. No survey? No insurance. I've owned four large boats and I'm about to buy my fifth. Here is my advice:
1) Never, ever buy a boat with out a professional survey. Without that, no insurance company will touch you and no marina will have you.
2) There is nothing on the planet more expensive than a cheap boat.
3) Don't take my word for it, there are a million boating sites that will tell you the same thing.
4) All that said, living aboard was the best decision I ever made. If I never fucking leave the dock again, it was worth it.
5) Good Luck.
>>
>>1202979
You can't possible get your money back. Your skill set does not matter. What do you know about rigging? Sails? Electronics? Diesel engines? Moving a boat from another country? Marine insurance? Port fees?
I could go on for a fucking hour. You want to save money? Learn to sail. Then buy a boat. Not the other way around. If you learn to sail first, ever dollar you spend, you get back five times over because you didn't buy a fucked up boat before you knew what you were doing.
>>
>>1202979
boating forums are filled with threads about people fixing bosts up: usually double to triple what they budgeted for or worse. Free boats as a rule of thumb are usually the most expensive. Get a survey done and go from there.

The old saying still rings true:
B.o.a.t. = break out another thousand.
>>
File: d381b20fc753ecbd82c26b3ded8cec2a.png (564KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
d381b20fc753ecbd82c26b3ded8cec2a.png
564KB, 1024x576px
>>1202979
>>
>>1203960
I dont get it
>>
>>1204043
Shawshank Redemption, final scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRBl0GPBm4o
>>
>>1203778
>Or do you think that boats and planes are cheap too?
who the fuck rents a plane or boat? inb4 taking the ferry or a flight, being a passenger is not the same as renting a tall
>>
>>1203180
NIG.

GUH.
>>
>>1202979
>Am I about to piss away all my savings?

Yes. No matter how good you are.

You don't believe me. Therefore, go work at a marina and do the same tasks for someone else before you go full retard. There's no downside and you'll learn boats suck unless you are feelthy rich.
>>
>>1204200
>who the fuck rents a plane or boat?
Are you trolling? Most private pilots rent small aircraft.
Many marinas have rental boats.
Are you twelve?
>>
You CAN make money on boats if you know what you are doing but it usually involves research into best selling models then finding one in good condition in a poor area and sailing it to a good area and selling it there.

For example you can pick up excellent yachts for around 1\3rd value in the north of Australia due to them effectively being abandoned by disillusioned blue water sailors who have had a crap crossing and\or crew fights.
>>
>>1204513
>you can pick up excellent yachts for around 1\3rd value in the north of Australia
is this true in 2017 or was ten years ago?
>>
>>1204524
This is an enduring blue water cruising myth, for the most part. There is always an exception to any rule.

But mostly, even if you found the perfect boat in some distant port, you still have to get it home. That means flying there, having it surveyed (only a fool buys a boat without knowing what's wrong with it), getting it insured, paying off any yard bills the previous owner may have walked away from (always check the fine print) and all the places, port fees and food you'll have to buy to get it home.

Have people done it? Yes. But I wager there are far more example of people trying to pull this off and then getting in over their heads, and spending way more than they ever planned.

But I don't want to piss on anybody's dream. As I said in an earlier post, buying and living aboard a boat was one of the best decisions of my life. Everyone should be so lucky.
>>
>>1205139
Wanna live on a boat , can you explain how you did it?
>>
>>1205407
First you have to obtain a boat
The next step it to start living on it.
This is my foolproof two step process and I defy anyone to say it does not work
>>
File: pockets.jpg (290KB, 1142x392px) Image search: [Google]
pockets.jpg
290KB, 1142x392px
Dreaming of my own money ditch not quite a pit. Want a micro scamp for guerilla camping around puget sound area. Been doing it in kayaks for years and a tiny cabin sounds nice.
Leaning toward a 9-10 foot model but 7 could fit in my truck bed.
/brainfart
>>
>>1205697
that sounds really cool honestly. My friend and I built a 10 foot jon boat out of plywood and it came out alright, but based on that I'd suggest not using the 7 foot. it would be really cramped, if you can spring for a trailer thats what i would do
>>
File: galleon2.jpg (46KB, 665x499px) Image search: [Google]
galleon2.jpg
46KB, 665x499px
>>1205775
Think of it not as a vessel but a floating hardshell bivysack with a rudder and foldable mast. Gotta be able to slip under docks to catch a few winks.
After getting used to a kayak cockpit even a 7 footer sounds palatial.
Probably going to keep an eye out for a cheap trailer I can use for the whole fleet. All four boats of it.
>>
>>1202979
Have fun dude. Just know that almost anything sold as "marine"-whatever is overpriced as fuck. Sails are never cheap, even when you make them yourself. Sailboat is "cheaper" than other boats due to fuel, but you should look into learning how to sail on a functional boat if you intend to start sailing yourself. Look into classes and courses, the basics are pretty simple, but the experience needed to handle a transatlantic voyage is more time consuming.

>>1203026
Rich people tend to pay poor people to do that kind of shit, yes.
>>
really really stupid
>>
>>1205697
>Leaning toward a 9-10 foot model but 7 could fit in my truck bed.

Trailers are cheap and easy to fabricate yourself.
>>
On buying boats in need of repair; if at all possible find a shipwright and pay him to come with you to look at the boat. Sometimes the difference between a manageable repair job and a total overhaul required can be more subtle than expected.
>>
http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/29/man-spent-five-years-renovating-boat-it-sank-as-soon-as-it-went-on-water-6743525/
>>
>>1206778
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/1198193/stricken-sailor-richard-ogilvy-spent-13000-and-three-years-restoring-nazi-training-boat-only-to-watch-it-sink-in-five-minutes/

The guy said :
> “My father was a pilot in Poland but was killed in the raid on the submarine pens in Saint-Nazaire."
> “Now I’ve got Hitler’s yacht, I think he’d have appreciated that.”

4chan has really something with the Nazis.
>>
File: boat2[2].jpg (173KB, 876x1313px) Image search: [Google]
boat2[2].jpg
173KB, 876x1313px
>>1206778
>>1206791
>three years and £13,000
>builded a leaky wooden U-Boot
>He said: “I’d lost the thrill of yachting but this has put it back into me.”
yup, yet another boat bloke casualty
>>
>>1203775
divorce rape is pretty expensive. You're right about planes too.
>>
Is it better to buy a motor yacht so you dont have to deal with rigging?
>>
>>1207068
this is why even most sailboats have engines. sailing is not just hard, but even when you are skilled it can be annoying if the winds and currents just dont like you
>>
>>1206778
fit a fanny!
>>
>>1207321
wat
>>
>>1207316
How much does it cost to run the motor?
Lets say you are in no hurry but want to keep moving in a no wind situation?
>>1207316
Do they get at least 10mpgs?
>>
Thinking of going /liveaboard/. Anyone here got any experience in it? Would be interested to hear anons experience.
>>
>>1209054
There is a guy on /trv/ who lives in a marina in san fransico . He is in a sailboat thread there
>>
File: 1366582958515.jpg (79KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1366582958515.jpg
79KB, 409x409px
>>1209054
When I traveled on the west coast I stayed for a week with a middle-aged couple through airbnb who lived in a sailboat. Apparently the most shitty aspect is maintenance and cleaning of the hull because sea water fucks up your boat in the long term and dealing with marinas can be a pain in the ass but all in all it sounds fucking fantastic, it's basically my dream life.

>mfw going to bed with the gentle rocking of the waves
I've never slept that well in my whole life like I did that week
>>
>>1210213
Brother lived on a boat
It's basically like living at a trailer park. Most of the denizens are too degenerate to have a real house,with the occasional just down on his luck
>>
>>1210259
>Too degenerate to have real houses

Or they are sick of crippling loans and bills and opt for a cheaper simple life? Yeah fuck those guys, how dare they?
>>
>>1210509
>sick of crippling loans and bills and opt for a cheaper simple life?
dude owning a boat is the literal opposite of that, boats are expensive as shit
>>
>>1210517
Admittedly house prices in my country are stupid but still

>Boat ~100k for a nice boat and to fit it out with wind, solar and hydro power
>No power bills
>No internet bills
>No rent/mortgage
>No land tax
>No car fees/upkeep
>Can fish for a good portion of your diet, most of the rest can be cheap things like bulk rice/flour

That seems fucking cheap to me if you can buy outright and have the brains to do your own repairs. Most of which you can do yourself or pay someone to do it once, watch and learn. Also living at anchor not paying marina fees.

Literally your only bills are health and boat insurance and then whatever maintenance costs are incurred. Bulk food is cheap as shit.
>>
>>1210537
I can't belive people this stupid exist.

Nowhere in America can you park your boat on the water for free. EVERY marina charges you a slip fee. I don't know what the min/max is but IIRC the cheaper ones are $80 a month.

Water bills - I think most marinas can provide water to you and you'd better believe its marked up. Don't like it? Good luck using seawater for cooking/bathing/drinking. Filtering costs money too.

Power bills - you're paying for electricity in gasoline or to the marina, again at a markup. Gas boat engines/generators are nowhere near as efficient as being on the grid that houses share. If you can live without electricity you may as well sleep in your car.

No internet bills because there is no internet other than satalite (eww). I imagine most marinas with people living out of there boats offer internet, im sure its shitty and at a markup.

No rent/morgage? Only if you've paid your boat off. After that you will pay monthly in the form of maitenance, matinence that FAR outstrips a houses.

No car fees/upkeep? You're more delusional than a 60 year old trap. BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand.

You do not want to eat the nasty ass fish you catch near most landfalls. So much fertilizer and general pollution. Eat fish caught out at sea.
>>
>>1205697
Just make it 10ft and let it hang off your truck bed 3 feet.
>>
>>1210549
You dont really have many facts right but you are a downer , so you have that going for you.
Definitely not realist since you just make up facts.
>>
>>1202979
After reading this thread I have decided that with no boat building experience whatsoever I am going to build a boat. Not even gonna try for wood I am way to stupid for that, I am going to go with steel.
>>
>>1210537
>>No power bills
shore power is a thing, otherwise you pay batshit insane rates because youre running on a diesel allternator yourself
>>No internet bills
how will you shitpost on /diy/ then?
>>No rent/mortgage
marina fees
>>No land tax
marina fees and sales tax on batshit bonkers expensive consumable marine gear
>>No car fees/upkeep
boat fees/upkeep
>>Can fish for a good portion of your diet, most of the rest can be cheap things like bulk rice/flour
fish are poison in most areas due to pollution

you dont know shit, dumb hook nigger

inb4 "Le just anchor out in le water and le fish for le food >:^)" anchorages arent free and must be rented or the fucking coast guard will arrest you just like cops arrest squatters on public or private land, and most areas worth anchoring in are regulated traffic lanes that you will be chased off from or are fisheries zones that local fishing associations/companies will sue you for trespassing on

property on the water is basically the same as on land, except its more expensive to occupy

>>1210549
80 would be insanely cheap, you should expect to pay hundreds. basically as much as half of a cheap studio apartment. in my city, a tiny spot at the local port is literally 80 PER DAY.
>>
>>1210549
>Filtering costs money too.
this, sand and ash survival meme filters do not filter out most chemicals found in modern well-used waterways, theyre only good for mechanically filtering and for killing some bacteria. a proper filter will be very expensive, and filters are very slow to act.

>I imagine most marinas with people living out of there boats offer internet, im sure its shitty and at a markup.
most offer a shore connection of some kind. its usually dogshit slow and heavily marked up though yeah; you're better off taking your laptop ashore and downloading stuff at a wifi-equipped cafe or library.

>No rent/morgage? Only if you've paid your boat off.
this, and boats are more expensive than similarly sized houses. you can buy a bungalow for 8k at auction, or maybe 10-20k if its not in a trendy neighborhood. you will literally get half a room on a boat for 25+k.
>>
>>1210537
>Bulk food is cheap as shit.
where do you store your bulk food on your tiny little 20 ft shitboat? how do you keep it from spoiling without paying for electricity for refrigeration, assuming you even have a sizeable fridge?

>DIY boat repairs
boat parts are hella expensive since they need to survive the ocean. the labor is cheap, it's parts and consumables that are expensive. normal everyday chains will rust out in a day, so you need ones with exotic coatings, same for the cables keeping your mast up, and especially so for your sails or the wind alone will tear them to pieces. a cotton bedsheet will only last so long. even nylon signal/national/ensign flags used by the military only last one or two deployments or so before being utterly shredded by the high winds of the high seas on your high mast, something getting intentionally strained (i.e. your sail) will be fuckin' merked sooner than that if its made out of similar material. paints and coatings are similarly exotic and subsequently expensive, and it's doubtful that you'll have cheap diving gear or diving skills to do work on your boat underwater, be it scraping off barnacles or welding your hull back together after you fuck up a parallel parking job
>>
>>1208058
i cant give you a number but marine engines are less efficient than car/truck/plane engines for the simple reason that water is harder to move through than road or air

consider that 80kmh is considered the bare minimum for a car to be able to do to even be allowed on public roads, but 80kmh in the ocean is considered blazingly fast for anything thats not a cigar boat, and most boats achieve speeds like that by hydrodynamic design intended to create lift so as little of the hull is in the water as possible

meanwhile, cars are intended to have the literal opposite of lift, and fast planes are intended to not generate lift but act more like darts
>>
>>1211517
>fish are poison in most areas due to pollution
>le sad face
you live in Flint or Fukushima or some shit? Fish 'in most areas' are not poisonous, srsly.
t. Capn Birdseye, Fishfinger Marketing Board
>>
>>1211535
>t. Capn Birdseye, Fishfinger Marketing Board
lol

but seriously if youre anywhere near a city dont eat the fish. luckily, mother nature is a very efficient cleaning lady, so pollution tapers off quickly outside of city centres but for the most part if you're in hte middle of a river that has heavy industry upstream of yousaelf, you'd probably better not eat anything out of it or drink it without a fancy reverse-osmosis filter or very precise distillation

theres a reason even state militaries refuse to even make fresh water from local water within a certain distance to shore. it's just not worth the damage to the filters, or the chance of poisoning the crew with discarded hormones and double-AIDS
>>
>>1211517
>anchorages arent free and must be rented
wat?
thats crazy mate
wgat country is this?
>>
>>1211631
literally 100% of the countries with either a relevant navy or a relevant coast guard or relevant fisheries
>>
>>1202979

if its a catalina, don't bother not worth it in the least.

Island Packets might be worth it depending how badly it is fucked up.

90% of the value of the boat is the brand.

For instance, a 20 year old Island Packet 350 was a straight trade for a brand new Catalina 350 not ten years ago.

If you get the boat basically for free and its only labor, you might make money, but be ready to sit on it and pay for storage out the ass unless you find a place that will let you dock for next to nothing.
>>
>>1211662
>if its a catalina, don't bother not worth it in the least

What is wrong with a catalina ?
>>
>>1211655
Bullshit. I know quite a few boaties and not a single one has ever said anything about being run out by the fucking coast guard for dropping a hook in some random anchorage.
>>
>>1212912
This, I am pretty sure there are plenty of places worldwide to drop anchor for free
>>
>>1206791
>>1206797
How do you become so optimistic that you have a wooden boat on shore for 5 years and launch it without a heavy-duty bilge pump?
>>
Use a shipping container. They often float away when their ship sinks or they detach during storms. Farm tilapia to prevent pollution death.

Think of the movie Waterworld but with less ship and more containers.
>>
>>1212822

Cheap light built boats. The price is indicative of the build quality. They aren't bad boats, but they aren't a boat I'd trust in much more than a stiff breeze. Meanwhile I've had to sail an Island Packet 35 through a hurricane and other than getting seasick, the boat never once worried me as it was built strong and with the heavy keel it had even if it went over it'd pop right back.

An Island packet will be running all three sails while a catalina would be reefing in the main and the jib in the same wind because of the difference in weight of the two boats. Same OAL boat to boot. The best thing about it was the full length keel meant that an Island packet would track so much better when sailing crosswind.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.