[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

thought about making my own security camera setup but for as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: security cameras.jpg (7KB, 285x177px) Image search: [Google]
security cameras.jpg
7KB, 285x177px
thought about making my own security camera setup but for as cheap as possible as i only need it for my front door, i don't want anything fancy but i want you to help me figure out a way to do it, i planned on getting a few cheap webcams off ebay, they can go for as little as 3 dollars, the only thing i am trying to figure out is how to connect it to my pc, whether i should spend another 15$ or so and get a cam that can transmit wirelessly, any advice would be appreciated, i would prefer if it stands below 45$
>>
>>1202843
Get some chink cameras from Ali and setup zoneminder. (Make sure the cameras are compatible first obv)
>>
>>1202843
Since you want to put them outside I was recommend against cheep webcams an actually get cameras that are built for outdoors.
>>
>>1202851
Cheap*
And*
>>
>>1202848
couldn't find anything good for cheap on ali, found a decent camera on ebay but the seller is having issues with the payments currently, thanks for the advice mate,
>>1202851
well its not totally outside, im placing it inside a staircase, so its mostly protected from rain and other elements, i can always put a protective plastic cover over it too, thanks for the suggestion.
>>
As someone who has placed cameras around their entire house, and then replaced cameras around their entire house, you get what you pay for. Get a good PoE camera with at least 3mp quality and a PoE injector. Wireless is spotty, and always somehow manages to be spotty when you really need it. That setup would be around $120 plus your cat5 cable, but you won't ever regret the quality like I know you will with this nigger rig setup.
>>
>>trust me when i need to i go all the way and over, however it seems wasteful to go full price for what i need, i just want to monitor the house and my pets once in a while, don't think i should go all the way for that
>>
>>1202896
>>1202893
>>
>>1202896
Well if that's the case I recommend a Foscam camera. They aren't the best but they have a static model recording at 720p for $45 that has wifi, and a model with PTZ, 720p recording, and wifi for $65. They have their own app that makes it EZ PZ to view from your phone. Still may be a little bit higher than what you're wanting but it's all real easy plug and play with no headache and that's worth something.
>>
>>1202843
>how to connect it to my pc
>webcam
usb

>that can transmit wirelessly,
if that is a feature that you require and you can afford the extra 15$ then i would suggest you went with that one.

>any advice
it will look like shit and be utterly useless
>>
>>1202957
sorry, phrased it wrong, i meant because the webcam will be far away from my pc, i doubt i should use 30 feet long usb extenders, either way i guess ill go the hard way and just get a 45$ one, thanks for the advice
>>
File: 1496823233100.jpg (575KB, 2313x1549px) Image search: [Google]
1496823233100.jpg
575KB, 2313x1549px
USB can be extended like 50 feet before you need a powered hub to bump it another 50 or so. You can cut usb extenstion cords and splice them with cat5 cable. POE can power hubs if you need the extra lenth or want to hub a bunch of cams at the end.
"I-spy" spycam software is still around I think and it has been my go-to for this thing for years. Free and easy takes almost all webcams and has cool features.
Pic not related?
>>
>USB can be extended like 50 feet before you need a powered hub

nope. spec says about 15 feet; in practice, its more like 20 feet.

> Q1: How long of a cable can I use to connect my device? A1: In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).

> Q2: Why can't I use a cable longer than 3 or 5m? A2: USB's
electrical design doesn't allow it. When USB was designed, a decision was made to handle the propagation of electromagnetic fields on USB data lines in a way that limited the maximum length of a USB cable to something in the range of 4m. This method has a number of advantages and, since USB is intended for a desktop environment, the range limitations were deemed acceptable. If you're familiar with transmission line theory and want more detail on this topic, take a look at the USB signals section of the developers FAQ.
>>
>>1204246
Those USB active (work like mini-hubs) extensions work fine, if you avoid the no-name shit - got a 10m (DeLock/Belkin/SomethingOrOther) thats been grand with everything I've thrown at it, never tried with a cam tho. Lindy 20m extensions will double up without a bother (allegedly), thats 40m, cost you $50 or so tho.
>I dont want fancy
>I wont cheap as fuck
so does everyone, till they see the results.. can usb webcam it, or wireless for added shittiness, all fine for temp - if you actually going to the bother of running perm wiring tho, be mad not to just bite the bullet and put in POE and a proper cam. IMO. $3 webcams, I suspect maybe cut the odd corner in component quality, or perhaps dont use the highest-quality optics.. you could maybe raise the bar a leetle here.
>>
File: i-85qTV35-L.jpg (96KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
i-85qTV35-L.jpg
96KB, 800x598px
>>1202893
>PoE camera
this
>at least 3mp
also this (mine are 4mp)
>and a PoE injector
Just go with a PoE switch. They're relatively inexpensive, and you get a couple of ports for a couple of cameras.
>Wireless is spotty, and always somehow manages to be spotty when you really need it.
Also shits up the RF spectrum. Just avoid it.
>That setup would be around $120 plus your cat5 cable, but you won't ever regret the quality like I know you will with this nigger rig setup.
yep. I think each of my cameras (Hikvision domes) were about $100. Box of 1000ft of C5E was like $50 at home depot. 8-port switch (4 PoE's) was about $40 at microcenter.

Motion detection, mobile notifications, mobile streaming, save files locally and to remote server (i'm using AWS).
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.