[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old bike thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot_20170702-125136.jpg (391KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170702-125136.jpg
391KB, 720x1280px
I found this old bike, it's ok except for the brakes that don't work. I removed them and I'm going to buy some new ones, then paint the bike.
I know nothing about the topic, should I look for something specific (both brakes and paint) or is it fine just buying random wires and a spray? Here's a pic
>>
File: bikesyousay.png (335KB, 486x419px) Image search: [Google]
bikesyousay.png
335KB, 486x419px
>>1202779
>>
>>1202779
thats a nice toolbox/tacklebox

get rid of that stupid generator

try pulling the cable in and out and oiling it. take apart and clean the arms & spring of the brake
>>
>>1202803
That's the first thing I did, now it's all nice and oiled, I'm going to disassemble and sandpaper it before painting the frame. Any advice on what paint I should buy? Do I have to get some specific wires for the brakes (the ones I have are rusty) or I can get any generic resistent wires?
>>
>>1202823
>paint
buy a can of automotive etch primer (walmart sells it cheap next to the bondo)
then paint it with whatever color enamel spray you want
>cables
just go on ebay and get some generic brake cables - you may as well order some sheaths and the end caps. you can get it in a few days (US) or wait 2 weeks+ for dirt cheap (china)
>>
>>1202832
Thank you
>>
>>1202779
To do a good job painting a bike frame you need to completely remove all the parts and sand down the old pain. A spray paint job (even really well done with primer and clear coat) chips off a lot easier than a factory job. IMHO usually not worth it unless you've got a frame you really really love but hate the color.

Those crank arms appear to be the really old type held on with pegs you hammer in. Pretty much the worst thing ever invented. They come loose really easily.
>>
New cables are cheap like 3 bucks a piece at local bike shop. Some new housing not much more. Some dumb hipster will buy that right up without even painting it.
>>
I used to build bikes, painted a few too.

Disassemble the whole thing. I'd recommend once you remove the pedal assembly, screw the ends back in so you don't get paint on the thread.

Use a wire brush on an angle grinder to remove the paint. Much faster than any other method.

Throw a few coats of GOOD primer on, and then give it a light sanding with 400 grit. However it looks with the primer, is how it will look with paint, make it look fantastic before painting it. Paint doesn't cover mistakes, only highlights them.

Paint it. Light coat at first, let it dry, then just more coats until your happy. If it looks like shit, you probably didn't prepare it good enough before painting.

Buy some GOOD clear coat. If you buy shit clear coat, it will go yellow over time, and not be hard enough withstand riding.
>>
OP, before you remove any of the original finish, verify that its not a valuable model.

Bmxmuseum.com has very helpful forums (its not just bmx).
>>
I'm just curious. That's the first I've seen with a shifter located under the seat like in this example. I'm used to seeing them closer to the handlebars.
>>
I enjoy doing bike rebuilds. I suggest take time to take everything apart, including the axels. It's the best time to clean and grease every ball bearing in the bike. Careful not to over tighten when assembling the axels, or it will restrict riding. I also would go with just replacing the cables. A new set of cables only cost me $10, and it's easy to make them look like they were original from the factory. It's not a bad idea to replace the chain either. After all, the point is to have a bike that rides like new when done.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.