[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

usb LED strip randomly turning ON

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: DSC_0763.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0763.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Sup /diy/

I bought usb led strip from ali. It works fine, pretty colors, it has wireless remote and nice color modes.

but it randomly turns ON during day. is the draw from usb (put it into usb 2.0 from mobo) too much?

TLDR: led strip randomly turning on in middle of night when I'm not at pc. what do?

t-thanks.
>>
>USB

Unplug it ?
>>
>>1202457
>buys an LED strip with remote for 0.69c (inc. postage)
>still expects that it doesn't upload his bank details to Chinese data sweatshops at random intervals
If the USB is only for power (?) power it from a USB mains adapter/hub/device that does not contain sensitive information. Plugging in permanently powered rnd ali crap to your laptop, its not a long-term winning idea.
>>
File: 20161029_182733.jpg (2MB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
20161029_182733.jpg
2MB, 2322x4128px
>>1202457

That chinkshit controller you bought is picking up a wireless signal that is similar or exact to whatever signal it is to turn on the strip. This is what happens when you don't control your own strip or buy chinkshit stuff.

Question though OP. Does it always turn on the lights around the same time, same color, same pattern? If not is it the last color and pattern you last turned it on to?

t. light autist
>>
>>1202457
When you unplug it and plug it back in, does it turn on, turn off, or go back to whatever state it was in?
>>
>>1202466
wow. how fucked I am, then?

>>1202475
will need to do some testing. I recall it turns out the last used pattern after remote shutdown. but the time seemed to be once a while.

>>1202576
it remembers the last used settings
>>
>>1202589

Interesting. Does the color ever change on its own or turn off on its own while on?

Would be interesting to get an Arduino with an RF module, record the signals from the remote, then set the Arduino to watch for those signals. It's possible the remote is malfunctioning. Pull the batteries before you go to sleep tonight to see if that remedies it.
>>
>>1202597
thank you for insights.
I've pulled the batteries out and let it off.
We'll see in a few hours;
>>
>>1202817
okay. so I've pulled out the battery from controller and let it on table.

the led turned off after while.

I'll do some testing and record time it takes to turn off. If it's a set time interval, or maybe neighbor with strong TV remote?

I'll post details later
>>
>>1202828
Typically TVs have IR remotes, but I guess some have RF remotes now. You know now that your remote isn't malfunctioning, so it's either the controller attached to the LEDs malfunctioning or it's getting a signal from elsewhere.
>>
>>1202828
Is it the 1 meter version with 30 LEDs? Can you read the markings on the 3 SMD resistors close to the RGB LED? 5V*0.5A/30=83mW per LED, including series resistors. Bright enough as a night light.
>>
File: DSC_0770.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0770.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>1202953
I have both 1m and 2m version and both behave this way.
Pic related, the resistors on the first one. Marked with 101,151,101
>>
>>1202974
>Marked with 101,151,101
Thank you. Interesting experiment. If you leave the battery out and the LEDs still turn on now and then it may be that someone else uses a similar remote control that uses the same on/off code. In this case you could reduce your receiver's sensitivity by wrapping some alu foil around it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.