[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can't think of a better board to ask this question on except

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: Store-Dry-Ice.jpg (26KB, 545x363px) Image search: [Google]
Store-Dry-Ice.jpg
26KB, 545x363px
Can't think of a better board to ask this question on except maybe /adv/

How can I package and ship ice cream within the lower 48? I did a test with a very cold frozen mixture (-20F~) and 3lb of dry ice in a loosely sealed styrofoam container and the dry ice did not last 24 hours. Is the solution just more dry ice or is there a better container I can use?
>>
better/more insulation, simples
>>
>>1201939
Try sealing it properly?
How thick was the polystyrene? Thicker the better.
But yeah there's a reason they use refrigerated trucks usually
>>
>>1201945
Can't due to pressure concerns by the post office and the container is about an inch thick
>>
>>1201939

are you wanting to ship small quantities, like a gallon or less?

the laws of thermodynamics would like to have a word with you.

like this guy >>1201945 said, you need a big assed truck or this won't work economically.
>>
>>1201961
Well that's pretty good but the thicker the better, more thickness is more time cold.
How are you not sealing it? Circulation will fuck you, maybe seal it but put in a pressure release valve if you don't want it exploding lol. Loss of air won't hurt but a continuous exchange will equalize the temp with outside
>>
>>1201939
http://www.aerosafeglobal.com/

These guys use aerogel insulation.
>>
>>1201972
Yes a gallon or less, I've seen ice cream stores say they ship small quantities in an insulated container with dry ice so I figured it would work
>>
Why not ship the storeable ingredients to be churned on site?
>>
>>1201939
I regularly ship frozen material, pro at this.

you need at least an inch of Styrofoam insulation around the entire contents, and closer to 30 lbs of dry ice. Like 3-4 blocks. This will work for roughly a gallon of material

you will get 24 hour this way, even in hot sun. typically you can get 48-72 hours.
>>
>>1201939
Sell your customers expensive automated "artisanal free range" ice cream makers. Then sell the ice cream melted in a bag... preferably with a we code that the ice cream maker can scan to preset beating times and temp and stuff... maybe mention that you can use a regular ice maker with the mix if your poor but the experience won't be the same without the "properly designed scientifically tested automatic ice cream machine".. in order to avoid later internet rage like those guys with the juice pouches..
>>
My uncle shipped blue bell from Texas to my dad in Florida in the early 90s. He used dry ice in a styrofoam cooler sealed with tape. When we got ice cream was still frozen solid and there was still plenty of dry ice to play with.

A styro cooler sealed with tape isn't going to build up enough pressure to blow up. Try that way and see how it goes.
>>
>>1202145
You have the right idea..

I banged out this whole >>1202151
post and couldn't fucking remember it's called a fucking churn...
>>
>>1201939
I saw a youtube video where they shipped a snowman to the desert, basically the idea was solid shaped styrofoam wrapped in aluminium, creating both a thermal insulator and a radiant reflector. I see no reason this wouldn't work equally well with icecream.

The dry ice almost cannot be insulated well enough to stay solid, and will inevitably create voids that don't hold the temperature differential as well as closed cell foam.
>>
>>1202248
Basically, if it were me, I'd line the inside of the box with aluminium foil, set a syrofoam sheet on the bottom, and then use pink expansion foam insulation to fill the rest of the box. I'd also pre-freeze the icecream, because your freezer at home is set to a much lower temperature than what you get it at out of the store.
>>
>>1201998
Seal it and build a simple one way valve.
>>
>>1202248
What if you put the dry ice in a vented bag in the center of the ice cream? No outside voids as it sublimates then...
>>
>>1201939
You will want to pre-cool the contents before you ship it, otherwise the heat will expend the dry ice quickly. Liquid nitrogen is quite efficient in pre-cooling since it as a liquid gets in everywhere.
>>
File: sloot.webm (171KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
sloot.webm
171KB, 480x600px
>>1201939

Shipping ice cream is not economically viable unless you're charging 60 dollars a pint or using reefer trucks aka refrigerated trucks. You will lose money abort this venture. The only way you could do this is with your own fleet of reefer trucks or hiring a ltl or van reefer shipper but even then you're talking about business to business which means you would need distributors and plenty of big fish will price you out.
>>
>>1201998
They also likely have distribution centers close to their customers.
>>
>>1202354

If they have distribution they wouldnt ship them, they would just use LTL reefers.
>>
>>1202350
My test run was a salt water slurry that was -24F to start.
>>1202353
Yeah thanks.
>>1202149
Thanks, I'll see if the guy really wants ice cream bad enough to pay that much for shipping.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.