[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building a Motorcycle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: sportster.jpg (69KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
sportster.jpg
69KB, 1000x800px
Oi ma is Jeff today I'm building my a Motorcycle and then fucking boat, so lets Goooo

I was thinking of building a cruiser style retro motorcycle.

>I won't be creating my own parts
>I havn't choosen a certain brand to stick to
>I havn't choosen a certain frame
>color sceen is as follows red brown black or a darker themed // or I want a playfull theme

125 cc is engine
now I was thinking
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB125
kind of seat

this kind of head light and staring controlls
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_RV125#/media/File:Tommyjumbo_special.jpg

this is the end result kinda alike what I am putting together, only rear and mechanics thats different

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/-/media/Images/MCC/Editorial/Articles/Magazine-Articles/2012/01-01/Going-Slow-With-Style-1953-AJS-18S/MCC-JF12-ajs-1.jpg
>>
Who gives a shit what your name is faggot?

>I won't be creating my own parts
You will eventually at least rig some random connectors up or drill holes in things, I can assure you
>I havn't choosen a certain brand to stick to
Don't bother, frakencycles are a common biker hobby creation
>color sceen is as follows red brown black or a darker themed // or I want a playfull theme
You will be painting parts. Painting motorcycles is fairly easy. Don't need to spend too much money on this part either, rattlecans can get the job done nicely if you use a good base and clear and prep the parts.

I assume you have motorcycle experience and the accompanying repair experience, and know some shit about engines and all? Try to find a motorcycle boneyard/junkyard where you can shoot the shit with old timer bikers and grab random parts to cobble together. Hell, most boneyard owners churn out really nice frakencycles and custom work in their free time because they've got thousands of old motorcycles to salvage from and they enjoy it. They will give you advice if you're not a faggot. Unless you're planning on spending indordinate fucktons of money, you're going to want salvage parts for basically all of it, so the boneyard and Craigslist postings are where you're gonna find a frame you can work with. You may want to start picking up random broken cheap bikes for parts; you can make a lot of different engines work in different frames if you're crafty (and as mentioned, rig up connectors/mounts somehow).

I've seen a lot of frakenbikes, both the ones with a coherent aesthetic and the ones that keep the "every part is from a different bike" look. The unifying factor is general mechanic/gearhead ability, creativity in attaching shit, and a lot of effort in finding parts.
>>
Go to real motorcycle forums. This is not one of those. /diy/ is and will remain utterly shitty for that purpose. If you are interested in custom building a retro style motorcycle, go learn about them there. Not here. You'll thank me later.

Using tiny Jap bikes to badly fail to mimic real vintage motorcycles nearly always comes out looking like ass. OTOH you could pull off a decent job with a vertical single like a Suzuki Savage, or a vertical twin like the excellent Yamaha 650.

Go to Chop Cult and Jockey Journal for starters and get a genuine idea of how to get classic lines.

The classic British vertical single still in production is the Royal Enfield. It's factory moved to India many years ago and it's successful because the design is easily maintainable.

Your picture is a Harley Sportster, with a solid mount Evolution engine. They are excellent motorcycles and easy to find in good shape for modest prices. No other motorcycle aftermarket parts support comes remotely close to that for Harleys and they are a solid machine for daily riding.

The xlforum is the canonical Sportster forum.

Now leave this shithole and go learn about how to do a GOOD job building a custom motorcycle. There are many larger Jap machines which are cheap, reliable, more powerful than the sad tiny shitbikes used to make aborted customs, and if you choose one of those you can end up with something worth riding.

Do not reply ITT. Go where I mention above. Those forums are noob friendly.

If you want to plate your machine to ride it on the street, GET A BIKE WITH A CLEAR TITLE then IMMEDIATELY transfer the title to get it in the system under your name, and when you do, get yourself a printed copy of that title ON THE SPOT. Stash with your important documents.

You'll thank me later. If you study thoroughly you can get a result you'll be proud of.
>>
>>1201870
Boneyard parts are often overpriced, but Ebay is fucking beautiful because you have so much more to work with.

Unless they are free, grabbing random bikes for parts is inefficient.

Engine transplants etc are usually a terrible idea and the results look like it.

Smart method is find a machine you don't have to do drastic surgery on to get what you want.

Building small motorcycles takes as much effort as doing larger displacement machines.

Jap forum on Chop Cult:
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9&s=26f00f1867e142365fd014d418533d6c

Once you've found a machine with a clear title (fucking ignore anything that doesn't have one, and KNOW your state DMV rules by READING them) you have something to start with.

Buy a runner or one that passes a compression test. Compression testers are cheap and every mechanic needs one. You'll learn how to clean carbs and fuel systems. See forums for info.

Everything you want to do, someone else has already done. Information is power. Don't randomly do shit while learning. Copy success.

Get a service manual for whatever bike you choose and study that motherfucker.

You can really streamline your process by learning from others and the internet is outstanding for that.
>>
>>1201881
>>1201874
You're completely right desu.

I still vote for making friends with the boneyard guys, if not just so you can show them a tricky part you encounter and ask if they have any suggestions. I've gotten some good stuff at them as well, mine is cheaper than random eBay things and I can ride up to say "hey this mount is broken, whatchu got fampai?" and we try different parts out until one fits.
>>
>>1201887
You indeed found a good boneyard. They are not terribly common so make the most of it.

Also try to find an independent shop that accumulated a local social scene. Motorcycling is a mentoring culture and if you really want to learn and have your shit together you can go far.
>>
>>1201855
why not do your DAS test, then buy the bike you actually want?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.