[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Acrylic cases for projects

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: img2168.jpg (507KB, 1020x765px) Image search: [Google]
img2168.jpg
507KB, 1020x765px
How do I build my own acrylic cases for projects? Acrylic sheets are cheap and available in plenty of places. Laser cutter shops are popping up everywhere and charge like $15/setup $1/min of use. Or if I'm feeling adventurous I can get an acrylic scoring knife and break/sand sheets to what I need.

But I'm retarded when it comes to designing something like picrelated. How do I come up with designs like that? Is there a reference anywhere?

I want a nice enclosure for some electronics that opens at the top with a hinge. But really just interested in learning how to design small project boxes. It sounds simple unless you try to think about what you actually have to do.
>>
File: TPP_8040_1024x1024.jpg (122KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
TPP_8040_1024x1024.jpg
122KB, 1024x768px
>>1201850
Would love something that goes together with just thumb screws
>>
Start simple and work you way up.

Buy some IPS Weld-On 4 and some applicators and some cheap acrylic sheets. Practice making some basic boxes before you try and do complex ones.

Once you can weld a box together that doesn't look like shit start doing more complex shapes.

Laser cutter makes things way easier, but a dill and jigsaw can still do most things.
>>
Cut out joints and piece them together, like a 3d puzzle
>>
But it's not the 00s?
>>
>>1201883
well how are modern enclosures made?
>>
I've never worked with acrylic before but could a poorfag just use a dremel and cut acrylic sheet?
>>
Tile cutter + Epoxy + Silicon
>>
>>1202058
Only if u post boipucci
>>
File: wrongboard.jpg (84KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
wrongboard.jpg
84KB, 800x800px
>>1202069

>DIY board which is a worksafe board
>asks for nudes
>>
>>1202058
Yes but the high temp from the bit will melt it back together as it cuts sometimes. So you have to "recut" it.
After its cut, sand edges with 50 grit, then 200, then 400, then 1,200 then polish with a jewelers wheel on a bench grinder and you can make it as clear as glass.
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (41KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
41KB, 500x380px
Buy a cheap laser and cut the acrylic on the cheap. You will need to book a shipping container though. Things are goddamn heavy
>>
You can use wood tools successfully. Trick is to buff the seams and it becomes glass
>>
>>1202058
If you don't need any complex cuts like drastic curves or internal cutouts you can get score the surface with a knife about 1/3-1/2 the depth of the sheet and snap it along the line.

Otherwise yes, a dremel is fine but watch for melting. Use a cold cut blade rather than an abrasive.
>>
>>1203969
Yes. Just use a router. No need to make this complicated.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.