[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Deck Building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: deck.jpg (73KB, 634x475px) Image search: [Google]
deck.jpg
73KB, 634x475px
So I will be building a deck in my backyard in the next year or so, but am still in the planning phase. I have reviewed my local building codes and am familiar with them. I do not see any issues there.

What I'm looking for are general tips and suggestions.

>natural wood vs synethic boards
>treated vs untreated for framework
>hidden clips vs screws
>etc

has anyone placed a jacuzzi on a deck before? what kind of structure do I need to hold 6000 lbs of tub and water?

Also planning to put a gazebo or pergola in one area.

Any suggestions are welcome.
>>
General guidelines and basic structure/code your inspector will reference:
http://www.awc.org/codes-standards/publications/dca6

I personally prefer untreated natural wood for structure so long as it has correct membrane and coatings.

Synthetic decking and railings are costly but save you labor of refinishing and are a nicer product. Definitely invest in a soda blaster or pressure washer to make re-finishing easier if you go with natural decking and railings.

For clips they're nice and required for most synthetic applications but screws are equal if you have a good screw gun and steady hand. I'd throw in ring shank nails as well with natural decking but they look like shit on synthetic.

APA publishes span/load tables for different sized wood members but I'd still draw up a plan of the hot tub area and have an engineer approve it. Your inspector may require it for the whole deck. (and even if he doesn't it'll probably save you some hassle and mistakes).

Do decide to make deck floating or attach to house. If attaching to house ensure proper ledger attachment.

Pergola wouldn't require much additional structure but a gazebo/solid roof might, refer to DCA6 and engineer.

I'd recommend Samari Carpenter on jewtube as well. He has some videos on deck building you can get good ideas for how things should go together and basic do's and don'ts.
>>
>>1201645
Hire an engineer to figure for loads.

Treated Doug Fir for structural and rough framing members.

As per clips or screws? I have seen both used cooperatively with Trex systems.

South California Framing Carpenter here. I would need more information. Any more questions?
>>
>>1201645
Depending in your height you could bring up the tub with stone. Then you don't need no stinking engineer.

Make sure you leave access to the electrics.
>>
Ok. So you want to build a deck. Assuming you are doing the work yourself, so type of wood.

For tons of weight, as it seems you will be putting on it, I would go with a 6x6 pressure treated for the main support beams.

Make sure you get all the proper hangers for the joists and such. When it comes to the framework, avoid KD. Go with the Pressure treated.

Deck boards are both ways, in longevity vs upkeep.

If you go with composite decking, yes it will last longer and be less upkeep. However the cost is through the roof.

If you go with 5/4x6 deck board, go with Pressure treated. It is more cost effective but more upkeep in the long run. But you can get other boards to replace bad ones and are usually screw mounted, so unscrew, lift, replace, screw back new board.

How it wears depends also on what type of paint and sealers you use. If you go composite, no paints or sealers needed.

Clips vs screws. Clips are usually for the most part with composite decking. You can go both options for composite decking, hidden rail clips that sit in a groove (must but the grooved composite decking) or you can get square edge composite decking and screw in. Usually regular wood is screwed into the joists.

If you have the money (lots of it) you should go with the composite. If you are concerned about how much the cost of materials will be, then you would be better off going 5/4x6 PT.

Source: lumber sales. Sell this shit all day long.
>>
>>1201848
Also, forgot to mention for the smaller aspects, such as rails and trim, you don't have to go with PT for the rails and trims, but if you want untreated for that stuff, I recommend Red Cedar. It holds up to weather much better than other cheaper untreated counter parts. Teak is the best untreated wood but cost is again, through the roof.

Hopefully this helps you out.
>>
>>1201676
>>1201697
>>1201840
>>1201852

Thanks guys, especially the link to the CDA6. I have several structural/civil engineer friends, and I will hit them up when I have any questions.

And I have the money to pay for the composite, and if it it really worth it I have no problem spending the money. I would prefer something low maintenance that will last a while.
>>
>>1201645
If you trim the bushes around your deck, it will make it look bigger
>>
>>1202344
>If you trim the bushes around your deck, it will make it look bigger
But when the wood gets old it won't be as hard as it used to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz82fjXqFQ4
>>
A couple of things I've learned:
.....deck will never look as good as it does in the photos
.....decking planks are always warped
>>
>>1201848
Most codes now require built-up beams, rather than a 6x6 or 8x8.
>>
>>1201697
>hire an engineer
is this nigga serious? unless its some major cantilever deck hanging off a cliff literally just get a brochure on deck building where you buy the timber.
>>
>>1202066
>if it it really worth it
Besides the lower maintenance, composite decking doesn't get splintery. You probably won't be able to get matching replacements though (proprietary styles that get updated frequently), so getting a bit extra at build time might be a good idea in case something gets damaged later on.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.