[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a DIY Satellite Phone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: garmin_GPSmap_60CSx.jpg (33KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
garmin_GPSmap_60CSx.jpg
33KB, 500x345px
I'm looking for a way to maybe connect a Garmin GPS to a smartphone to then have some sort of satellite connection where there is no cell service or WiFi. I work in Northern Ontario for long periods of time and have no means of communication. I know there are sat phones you can buy, though they are very expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>1201410
gps is receive only. a gps gets signals from multiple satellites and calculates a position from that data. that's it. no transmissions.
>>
Not happening. Completely different satellites and you need service go begin with. This isn't something you can DIY a solution for. Set yourself up a decent repeater base station and get a good radio.
>>
Just connect the red wire on the GPS device to the black wire on the smartphone. Don't listen to the people above, they're just Satellite phone shills.
>>
>>1201420

Just one wire?
>>
>>1201432
The data wire, duh.
>>
>>1201464

lol I have a degree from devry and I know that's bullshit unless it's like an antenna which is probably not FCC approved. OP will get in trouble for this.
>>
Just do the fuckin' ham radio certification test & get your own call sign. It's a 100-question multiple-choice test & all you need to know are the basics of electronics, radio propagation & the laws concerning amateur radio.

It also guarantees certification if you pass with an 80%, or special priviledges if you pass with an 85% or greater. Industry Canada's your place to go for this.
>>
>>1201410
Get a better job and buy real sat phone
>>
>>1201432
Half a wire is enough. It's called GlobalPhoneSystem for a reason..
>>
>>1201475
You have a 'degree' from Devry
>https://www.wsj.com/articles/itt-technical-institute-to-close-after-government-cuts-off-new-funding-1473163181
I have a degree from John Hopkins
>>1201432
Don't listen to him, he's a shill for the Satphone companies.
>>1201503
This guy knows what's up.
>>
>>1201410
Well first you are going to have to rent sat time or put your own sat into orbit
>>
I don't think accessing/transferring data to a satellite is something one can just "diy".

Sounds like something you would need a little more than some elbow grease to get to work.
>>
>>1201412
but you can diy a satellite first
>>
>>1201491
The only trouble with that it you can only speak with others with a license.

>satsleeve

Google it
>>
>>1201475
Your bachelor's degree in black studies from THE Devry University didn't keep you from responding to a troll post on a Taiwanese carpet munching forum
>>
>>1201610
hot
>>
>>1201410
DIY sat phone ain't fucking happening. Cough up the money.

Amateur radio isn't a bad idea either and redundant comms are always a good thing.
>>
>>1201432
Your radio has one antenna and it works.
>>
>>1201847
This

Also what makes people think a satellite receiver can only receive from one type of satellite is beyond me.

Catch your dream, OP
>>
>>1201412
DIY orbital launchers and then launch your own network of DIY LEO satellites that you can connect your phone to.
>>
>>1201876
Funny enough, we have had several shit threads about launching anon's communications satellites, optionally with anon's rockets.
>>
>>1201410
You can't build a DIY SatPhone but you can build a DIY Smartphone with regular UHF support
>>
A sat-phone is just a regular phone with a really big antenna. Antennas get you the range.
Try it yourself: find a radio station in your area, hook up your cell phone with an alligator clip to their tower, dial France order some croissants. EASY!
>>
>>1201619
Not to mention that redundant comms are always a good thing.
>>
Satellite bandwidth is expensive. Are you you sure you want to pay a mint just to be able to download frogs in the desert?
>>
File: gud day.jpg (33KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
gud day.jpg
33KB, 600x399px
>>1203630
>frogs
It's cats, you dolt.
>>
File: spot2_prodpage.jpg (28KB, 288x341px) Image search: [Google]
spot2_prodpage.jpg
28KB, 288x341px
>>1201410
https://www.findmespot.com/en/?cid=102
>>
>>1201503
1997 called and wanted it's gps phone back. Heard about wifi? It's the magic all gps have today.
>>
>>1203622
Well done anon, well done. Made me laugh.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.