[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I fucked up. Need advice. I broke and then threw away a closet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

I fucked up. Need advice.

I broke and then threw away a closet door in the apartment I'm renting. I figured I'd just buy a new one before moving out. It turns out the old door was 77" tall, which isn't a standard size I can get at any store. I tried going to Home Depot and Rona and they wouldn't cut down one of their doors for "safety reasons". They said they could have one custom built in five weeks. I need to get the door replaced before I move out on Sunday or the landlord will make me pay thousands.

I think my options are:
1) Rent a table saw and shorten a door myself. I'm not sure if that would look shitty or not.

2) Buy a big piece of nice looking wood at Home Depot, then ask them to cut it. I know they don't have rules against that and a door is basically just a slab of wood. I'd have to do the hinges and handle myself. This might also look really shitty.
>>
These both sound like they will look really shitty. Do you seriously think your landlord won't notice an entirely different door? Have you tried anywhere other than Home Depot?
>>
>>1201264
The old door wasn't great when I moved in. It had a huge piece of veneer ripped off and I have that in a document the landlord signed. She's not going to complain if I replace it with a new door so long as it doesn't look like shit.
>>
>>1201260
Do you have a ReStore in your area? They are operated by Habitat for Humanity. Mine has doors for fucking days and they don't give a shit what you do with them. Cheap as hell too. Like, $20 for a door. They are used of course, but you'll have plenty of cash left over to have someone cut it down for you.
>>
>>1201276
There is one; but finding a cheap standard sized door isn't the issue I'm dealing with. I'm not sure if just taking a table saw to a door is a good idea to begin with and the only places I know of that do that kind of work are refusing to cut a door for me.
>>
File: FH03DJA_CUTDOO_01.jpg (50KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
FH03DJA_CUTDOO_01.jpg
50KB, 600x600px
Cutting doors is a pretty common thing. Especially the cheap hollow closet doors. Just make sure you tape where you're cutting so you get a clean edge.

>To cut off a door without splintering the finish, use a guide and sharp blade in a circular saw, and deeply score the cut line with a utility knife.
>>
>>1201279

Mostly unnecessary as long as you cut ...slowly... and precisely with tape
>>
Put an ad out in the local craigslist or call up just about any 'handyman'. Probably can get it done for under 50 in labor. Also you don't use a table saw for it. Track saw if u got one, circular saw if you don't.
>>
>>1201279
>>1201280
Would it be a bad idea to try this with a jigsaw instead of a circular saw? I own a jigsaw already.
>>
>>1201287
If it turns out shit you can hit it with a hand plane after, assuming you have something on the order of a number 4. Would take less than ten minutes.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (127KB, 892x708px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
127KB, 892x708px
Does anyone have experience with these "Sienna Accordion Bifold Doors". I noticed in the description it says "Trim to Any height", but not sure if that means cutting them with your own power tools or if there's some kind of simple trick to it. It's too late to call a hardware store and ask.
>>
>>1201295
Those are the cheapo plastic ones, right? Just cut slowly with shears or a razor knife if you hate yourself.
>>
>>1201287
Would not advise, myself A jigsaw won't make a smooth cut, and if you don't own a table saw, I am going to to guess you don't own a jigsaw that will make a particularly straight cut either. Plus, a cheap door probably won't have solid wood rails/stiles; they'll be partical board with a veneer that will get chewed to shit by the jigsaw blade, and using a hand plane like>>1201294 suggested wouldn't fix that.

A word though: Did you measure the door frame too, or just the door? My neghibor had the same problem until he figured out his door hardware was adjustable and was able to position the doors in the closet without having to cut them down. Maybe you should start by getting a new door and seeing if you could make it fit and go from there. There might be extra room behind the trim that the old door wasn't using.
>>
>>1201304
I measured the door frame. 77" tall. 36" wide. There isn't any trim to it or any other way to change the size.
>>
>>1201307
Shit. Then I think your best bet is to try amd get your hands on a circular saw by Sunday and just cut the door yourself. use a 2×4 clamped to the door as a guide and go from there.
>>
>>1201260
Talk to a local tenant rights group, and they will talk you through how much money he can actually take.

In some jurisdictions he can only take a reasonable repair cost.

You are also a fucking nigger and don't deserve your money because you aren't smart enough to make the good choices to keep it.

Don't fuck with a jackass door replacement. You can't trim one to fit because doors are hollow, even if they aren't 'hollow core' they are still 90% hollow, the door is just a couple inches of wood border around a bunch of cheap filler.

Your DIY ideas are retarded and will look like shit.
>>
>>1201314
I'm leaning towards getting this. From the comments apparently you can easily cut it to a lower height with a hacksaw.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.24-inch-to-36-inch-oakmont-espresso-accordion-bifold-door.1000758306.html

>>1201316
>Talk to a local tenant rights group...
It's not that simple. The vacancy rate in my city is close to zero. Hundreds of applicants for every apartment. If you don't have glowing references from your landlords going back a decade you can't get a place. I was really hoping this would turn into "Anon is such a great guy he even bought a new door to replace the crummy one", not "he broke my door and replaced it with garbage".
>>
>>1201319
If shit breaks you tell your landlord, if you break shit you replace it.

Do you not have insurance?

Put a curtain up and say there never was a door?
>>
>>1201283
this OP you complete niggerfaggot. you save paying thousands to your current landlord, you save face and keep your reputation unsullied for future landlords, you don't have to worry about sourcing tools and materials, you get the glowing recommendation because proper door and expertise, and it's quick easy money for anyone able to do it so you'll get responses to the ad
classifieds DOITFGT
>>
File: vietnamese_man_by_spanishalex.jpg (62KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
vietnamese_man_by_spanishalex.jpg
62KB, 600x400px
>>1201260
>Renters
>>
>>1201328
Hes getting a door. Its a very minor task and worth the social captial it could gain him.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.