[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm wanting to make a backyard fire pit out of a side-loading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: F2BLK5PHX1W8PFY.MEDIUM.jpg (67KB, 348x620px) Image search: [Google]
F2BLK5PHX1W8PFY.MEDIUM.jpg
67KB, 348x620px
I'm wanting to make a backyard fire pit out of a side-loading washing machine someone put out for hard rubbish as a mini-project/for a party in a couple of days.

I've read some concerning things about using some washing machine drums though. Namely: 1, If it's galvanized it can release toxic zinc fumes
2, Some use shot in sealed compartments to help keep things balanced, this can cause an explosion
3, if it's anodised the ceramic coating can flake off, or violently pop off depending on the circumstances.

So basically, how can I know if it's galvanised or anodised? It's shiny like the picture if that helps, I assume an anodised surface would be matte/ceramic in appearance but I'm not sure. I've also heard you can lick the surface and if it's chalky then you've got zinc.
Any other tips regarding this?

In regards to the shot housing, surely punching holes into any compartments would be enough to prevent violent/catastrophic ventilation of my guests.
>>
I've not seen a ceramic or galvanised drum in a washing machine for a very long time, simply put yes there are problems using either of those two types and stick to good old fashioned stainless steel
>>
>>1200824
Fire in a front load washer you say?
https://youtu.be/CbRjjn-DIWA
>>
>>1200827

Is it quite easy to tell the difference between gal and stainless? It's a uniform metallic looking drum, nothing like pic related.
Also, it'd be easy to tell if it was ceramic coated yeah?

>>1200830
If only I had a torch and didn't live in the suburbs.
>>
File: 3f928a3dda3d13168321e77773faca3c.jpg (272KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
3f928a3dda3d13168321e77773faca3c.jpg
272KB, 2000x2000px
>>1200833

Sorry, forgot the picture.
>>
>>1200834
Yeah, see the original pic with the fire in it, that chrome look is stainless
>>
>>1200840

Awesome, thanks!
>>
I have one that had shot in it. It was behind a rubber plug. This soon burnt out and I poured the shot out. It still works fine and is a lot lighter to move without the shot.
>>
>>1200827
This.
Also i mount them to push mowers all the time anon. If you got access to good seasoned hedge get you a hot fire going if you get a ceramic coated one. It only violently pops off once and its fun.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1480508157761.jpg (137KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1480508157761.jpg
137KB, 960x720px
>>1200824

Its a coal dropping bitch so be careful where u at with it.

And my buddy let his roll down a hill last summer...
>>
>>1200833
Galvanized most of the time is a dull grey and you'll know pretty quick if it is.

Just keep a few gallons of milk on hand and make sure theres a breeze
>>
Appliance repair guy and I've never seen a galvanized or non stainless steel front loader. Have saved and given a few away for fire pits and in a few cases to get screwed to the side of a dock and filled with chum for fish... and in one case to put live fish in after being unhooked...

Any that have bearings will be in a plastic track, either burn it out or remove with a hammer and prybar.. not like it's the end of the world if you snap the plastic...
>>
>>1200824
Zinc isn't toxic in the sense that lead or mercury is, your body just gets overwhelmed by it and you feel like shit for a few days. The solution, of course, is to not breathe the white smoke in the first place. It'll only burn off once, so after that you're good to use it for normal firepit things.
>>
>>1200824

Why not just burn it once before the party to remove any coating. Just sit inside and wait till its burnt clean.
>>
There are no galvanized washer tubs, only porcelain over steel or stainless. Zou have nothing to worry about.
>>
>>1201746
They where sort of a 1960's-70's thing in a lot of the old style twin-tub top loaders where you had a spin tub off to the side. That was literally the last place I saw a galvanised tub in a washing machine, they where fucking terrible things too
>>
Use the plastic drums theyre lighter and easier to clean
>>
File: magnets.jpg (45KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
magnets.jpg
45KB, 1280x720px
>>1200833
>Is it quite easy to tell the difference between gal and stainless?

Stick a magnet on it and if it sticks, it's galvanized and if the magnet falls off, it's stainless steel.
>>
>>1201674
>you feel like shit for a few days

Or in some cases, months. Some people claim to have symptoms years later. Best to just avoid breathing it at all. I'd go out into the country and light a big fire in it and burn it all off while I was far away. Or use muriatic acid. That being said, I've never seen a galvanized tub in a washing machine.

>>1203962
Some grades of stainless are magnetic.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.