[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wood screw pilot hole

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: Screw.jpg (8KB, 364x364px) Image search: [Google]
Screw.jpg
8KB, 364x364px
Quick question because I don't want to fuck up my project: What pilot hole size should I drill for #8 3/4" wood screws into North American birch plywood? Domestic birch is a hardwood, right? I do not have tapered bits.
>>
File: ergefgd.png (54KB, 696x303px) Image search: [Google]
ergefgd.png
54KB, 696x303px
This chart says I should be using a 1/8" straight bit. Can anyone confirm this to be accurate?
>>
>>1200790
Hold the drill bit up in front of the screw, with the shank of the bit in line with the threaded portion of the screw. If you can see the threads, but little to no shank, poking out behind the bit on both sides of it you're good to go. Hope that makes sense.
>>
can confirm, that is the best way
>>
>>1200803
Yeah, the 1/8 straight bit looks exactly the diameter of the #8 screws' shanks.

1/8" straight bit it is. Thanks.
>>
When in doubt do like this. >>1200803

Different woods have different risks for splitting, so undersizing holes needs to be tailored to what you're working with if you do that. Sizing to the shank pretty much prevents splitting no matter what you do. At the other extreme, self-tapping the screws without pilots can work just fine, but can be very prone to splitting if done close to ends or along the laminations of engineered wood.

For consideration, softwoods usually split less than hardwoods, damp wood splits less than dry wood, sapwood splits less than heartwood, natural wood splits less than engineered wood (with the exception of flat laminations being screwed across the layers), older/weathered wood splits more than recently-harvested wood, and denser wood splits more than lighter wood.

That said, you're unlikely to need the tiny bit of extra grip that undersizing provides. If the materials to be screwed look like they might split, you might as well size the pilot to the shank. It's just not the end of the world if you don't have quite the right size and need to use one a bit smaller.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.