[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apartment life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (215KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
215KB, 1920x1080px
How can i get into wood working while living in apartments and on an apartment budget?
I'd like to build things but i don't have a lot of room and power tools are generally a bad idea.
>>
>>1200784
you can't
>>
File: 9[1].jpg (57KB, 799x501px) Image search: [Google]
9[1].jpg
57KB, 799x501px
>>1200784
Hand tools. Buy used from CriagsList, garage/estate sales, local auctions and, if you catch a screaming deal for some reason, eBay. Avoid newer hand tools. Anything made after 1970 or so falls into one of two categories: cheap shit from Asia and high end very expensive made in the West. You can't afford the latter and you don't want the former.

Get a miter box. Picture related, not some plastic piece of shit either. I've picked up old ones in useable shape for $10 with the saw. Millers Falls, Stanley and Goodell/Goodell-Pratt made good ones that are easy to find. They use what is called a 'backsaw'.

Saws: Disston made the gold standard of hand saws. They made millions of them. Anything made before HK Porter bought them out is good. They are plain steel so you can sharpen them yourself with just a triangular file. So, don't let a dull one that is cheap scare you off. They can be sharpened hundreds of times, so practice practice practice. YouTube for instructions.

Hand drills: North Bros (and later Stanley, who bought them out) and Millers Falls. All good quality drills and tools in general.

That is really all you need to get started. In general, any tool made by Stanley before the 1970s or so will be good. Millers Falls is just a step behind them in quality. Many Craftsman woodworking tools were made for them by these two companies so keep and eye out for them too.

YouTube can teach you everything you need to know. Paul Sellers on YouTube know his hand tools. The Woodwright's Shop (PBS show) is great for some inspiration. Learn how to search to find what you need. If you want more help than that from us you are probably going to need to pick a project, research it, and come back if you get stuck. Otherwise, this thread is probably going to turn into a tool brand pissing contest, people telling you to google it, or just telling you to give up entirely.
>>
Stop living in an apartment, and don't tell me you can't there's a fuck ton of non city jobs out there.
>>
>>1200784
Pay the guy extra at wherever you get your lumber from for precise cuts and let him take his time.
The rest you should be able to do with a hammer, chisel, handsaws, and a drill. Finish requires extra, but it's not a whole lot more work.
>>
I sell a shitload of PRAISE JESUS GUNS AND AMERICA tacky scrollwork stuff at flea markets and what not.
My scroll saw is relatively quiet, it's drowned out by traffic noise if I have the windows open. It's something to consider.

>>1200815
Lol.
You're funny.
>>
>>1200855
pics?
>>
>>1200784
This guy also uses simple power tools but gets a lot of furniture jobs done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuO-o5ozSSw Also get most of your cuts already at the timber yard/shop.
>>
>>1200873
>That table
Plywood is for shelfs, nothing else.
>>
>>1200877
This, I'm always so sick of seeing people make plywood sawhorses and other useless shit. That could of been cabinets for fuck sakes.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.