[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought pic related. I plan on buying a 3/4 inch birch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: Capture.jpg (58KB, 786x580px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
58KB, 786x580px
I just bought pic related. I plan on buying a 3/4 inch birch plywood to use as a table top. It's going to be 70 to 78 inches in length by 30 inches width. Should I stick with Birch or consider something else like Maple?

Should I stain it with anything? I would like to have something I don't need coasters (for drinks) with, but don't really care. It's nice enough without any stain.
>>
you spent $500 on a table without a top???
>>
>>1200747
It's an electric height adjustable standing/sitting desk frame. The table tops they had for sale were about $170 for the size I wanted and was made of shit wood.
>>
>>1200748
What a great investment. It's so much easier to use an AppĀ© to adjust the height of your table than to bend over and press a lever.
>>
File: wat frog.jpg (19KB, 386x384px) Image search: [Google]
wat frog.jpg
19KB, 386x384px
>>1200750
>It's so much easier to use an AppĀ© to adjust the height of your table than to bend over and press a lever.
>>
>>1200753
Electric tables, it's the future, Marty.
>>
File: 1465576659611.jpg (97KB, 915x960px) Image search: [Google]
1465576659611.jpg
97KB, 915x960px
>>1200750
>>
http://youtu.be/JowgzxJR-xc
>>
>>1200729

Birch plywood would be fine in this application.
>>
>>1200748
Gotta admit, when I interned then worked in an office fitted with these it was kinda rad. Didn't go in for the standing thing, but simply adjusting the desk to best suit posture through the day was great.
>>
>>1200748

That thing in OP's pic is electrically adjustable? Why does it not show a power cord?
>>
>>1200788
>Working in an office
Did you forget to get an apprenticeship? Fuck I'd even go back relief milking before I sit inside for an entire fucking day.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (99KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
99KB, 1920x1080px
>>1200838
>Why does it not show a power cord?

>there's no wires in the marketing promotional pictures
>it must not connect to a TV or have any source of power

Nice logic there, pal.
>>
>>1200788
Many offices are starting to have electric standing desks for everybody.

>>1200842
Just buy your own standing desk and bring it to the office. Even a Varidesk, which are shit, or something similar will work.
>>
>>1200729
>jiecang frame meme

If you were shopping for just a frame you should've gone with one of the imovr frames
>>
How much wobble does something like this have? And how much do they support? I want to make a 7'X3' desk, but I'm torn between adjustable height, and tying it into the wall to make it sturdy.
>>
>>1200729
>$464
I dont care if that thing can fucking fly, thats outrageous for a frame.
>>
>>1200750
It's just a button you tremendous faggot.
>>
>>1201173
You sound upset. Why wouldn't you just use a lever attached to a piston like everyone else?
>>
>>1201179
>kneel under desk for 2 minutes jerking it off to raise it 2 feet
Or
>push a button for 2 seconds

I know this is /diy/ and we do everything the hard way but ffs if they're considering an adjustable height standing desk I'm guessing they probably have an alright job where 400 dollars isn't going to fuck them.
>>
>>1201181
Why wouldn't you just use the same piston lever they've used on ever chair for the last 50 years. A fool and his money...
>>
>>1201182
It's for a desk. Not a chair.
Unless OP takes their computer and shit off the desk every time they adjust it, explain how that's going to work? Chair pistons lower with weight on them. They raise with -no- weight on them. Do you get it?
The piston/lever systems for desks are annoying and tedious.
>>
>>1201182
Not enough throw on a chair piston. Plus what >>1201183 just posted.
>>
>>1201182

Because gas springs lose their gas over time, eventually rendering them all but useless, and there's the issue of trying to pick a spring for a desk that may have barely a few pounds of weight on it, and one that has 200lbs of paper and computer on top.

The only realistic options are leadscrews or hydraulics/pneumatics. The latter would likely be more expense than it's worth, and adding a cheap motor and gearbox to the former is such a small added expense that there's not that much reason to do it.

Not saying $400+ is reasonable for a desk frame (because I don't think it is), but, if I were the one building it, I'd probably make it automatic, too.
>>
>>1201183
>pull lever
>gently pull desk up or down
>release lever to lock it into place

Wow, that was hard. The average desk isn't going to have more than 100lbs on it. Shouldn't be too difficult to design a piston that could balance that amount of weight.

You bought a meme.
>>
>>1201188
I didn't buy anything.
I cobbled mine together with leftovers from another project.
I'm not saying OP didn't overpay but you're still a faggot.
Why are you so averse to convenience?
Time is money.
>>
>>1201199
I despise these overpriced gimmicks more than I need the convenience of an adjustable desk.
>>
>>1201202
It's not really a gimmick if it has a use, and objectively improves your quality of life, dude.
I hope you don't use power tools.
>>
>>1201204
>power tools

Why would I pay the batteryjew?
>>
I'm amazed some of /diy/ is bashing this so badly. You realize you can't /diy/ everything, right? Some shit you just have to buy.
>>
>>1201173
BOOTY
BLASTED

you bought a meme
>>
File: 1478052274430.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
1478052274430.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>1202163
>you can't /diy/ everything
>>
File: IMG_20160612_180342791_HDR-L.jpg (120KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160612_180342791_HDR-L.jpg
120KB, 800x451px
>>1202163
I would say some things aren't worth /diy/ing.

My time is worth something. The point where I put more effort into a project than it's worth to buy something or pay someone else to do it, it's not worth doing said project.

Oil changes in the truck, for example. My mechanic does that for about $30. I load the moto, drive truck+moto to shop, unload moto, hand mechanic the keys. I go to work.
He gets it done that day, at his convenience. I swing by at the end of the day, load the moto, hand him some cash, he gives me the key back, and I go home. Not worth my time /diy/ing.

Vs. oil change on the moto? A shop would charge me about $150 to do that. Takes me ~45mins. That's worth doing myself. (Also knowing i'm not going to fuck something up; because motorsports mechanics are, for the most part, retarded.)

I contracted out the subfloor replacement in my kitchen. The $1200 I paid those guys in a day and a half to do the job is totally worth it. The rest of it i'm doing on my own. Good excuse to buy tools.
>>
>>1202221
????

It takes me 25 minutes to change the oil/filter in my f150, and I know what's going in it and that it's done right.
>>
>>1202227
This, and no fucktard butchers my drain plug. I also get to inspect the drained oil.

t. mechanic who knows not to trust lube monkeys.
>>
>>1202221
By that logic you make $120 an hour?
>>
>>1202613
Fumoto valve. Should I or shouldn't I?
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.