[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard can you make cardboard without making it too heavy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_4065.jpg (132KB, 1000x657px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4065.jpg
132KB, 1000x657px
I'm working on making pic related but cardboard, however this fucker is gonna be huge, like 15 feet wingspan huge.

I'm doing this because the nearest homedepot is like two towns away and I want to make this thing dirt cheap.
My current idea is to just have multiple layers of cardboard and ductape/skewer them together.
Thoughts?
>>
>>1200519
Use fiberglass resin on the outside and wood glue to glue laminate it, if you must use cardboard.
>>
I'm sorry, but this is a pretty ludicrous idea
>>
>>1200523
Not a real plane which i plan to fly in, a remote control one
>>
Have you built any smaller planes?
>>
>>1200557
This is going to be hilarious. I agree with >>1200522 however, use fiberglass reinforcement both to strengthen and weather proof the cardboard first at least. Why so huge though? 15ft wingspan will create a lot of legal issues flying it even if it is just an rc plane.
>>
>>1200574
Yes
>>1200580
I'm willing to do to 10 feet but I wanna have a huge wingspan to compensate for the fact I'm 1 inch soft desu
>>
>>1200519
>>1200606
You can make it hollow. Just use some structure to reinforce it. That will reduce weight. Like using paper towel and toilet paper tubes cut to size and sandwich in to make a pseudo honeycomb.
>>
Perhaps foam board would be a better alternative? it is just as cheap and much more durable
>>
>how do I make plane out of cardboard

This is why I come to this place
>>
File: cardboard boat races.png (165KB, 795x679px) Image search: [Google]
cardboard boat races.png
165KB, 795x679px
>>1200705

Heber Springs, Arkansas
>>
>>1200519
cardboard is pretty shitty to build planes with senpai, it's not that strong and relatively heavy
Try to use foam instead, or balsa if you have a lot of time to spend
>>
>>1200519
Youll need a pretty serious wing spar for a 15 foot cardboard wing. If your serious about building something of that size youd be better with foam with a fiberglass skin or something, also good luck keeping it under 55lbs either way
>>
You should try Balsa wood, it might do the trick
>>
>>1200519
This sounds like a really convoluted way to kill people. Have you considered a rifle?
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.gif (53KB, 488x267px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.gif
53KB, 488x267px
>>1200519
1. Why don't you make it properly?
2. Does it have to be shit tier cardboard construction?
3. Are you willing to actually build it, or is this a dream?
>>
http://www.spadtothebone.net/ they use coroplast but cardboard should work.
>>
File: 1494999991351.jpg (45KB, 460x461px) Image search: [Google]
1494999991351.jpg
45KB, 460x461px
>>1200707
This is just over an hour from me...
>>
>>1200519
Bruh order plans for a legal eagle ultralight and build something you can fly without a license
>>
>>1201190
Or if you want to do rc then fo it right. In any case if you try to reinvent the wheel your plane is gonna crash and burn.
>>
No shit, just go to fliteteat and make some of the models on their site. It o my takes a couple of hours and a few dollars and you will learn a shit ton about RC plane design and construction. I would explain more but trust me, they make shit fly for a living.
>>
>>1201340
Fuck. *Flite test
>>
>>1200519
>go to dollar tree
>get the white foamboard with paper covering
>its called "adams readiboard" or some shit like that
>watch a bunch of flitetest build videos so you know how to work the foam
>keep us updated on your progress, I wanna see this
>>
>>1200519
20yrs ago people use to build rc planes out of carboard to crash them in air.

They use to use poliuretane varnish to harden the cardboard.
first coat was very diluted with thinner, like 4 thinner to 1 poly. 2nd less, like 2 to 1, and a few more coats 1 to 1
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.