[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anvil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: received_475036946165608.jpg (64KB, 960x578px) Image search: [Google]
received_475036946165608.jpg
64KB, 960x578px
Can someone tell me more about this anvil? My grandfather gave it to me and I know it could easily be 100 years old.
>>
File: received_475036866165616.jpg (297KB, 2048x1232px) Image search: [Google]
received_475036866165616.jpg
297KB, 2048x1232px
>>
>>1200416
It's metal.
>>
Google the brand (Vulcan) and you'll get plenty of detailed info from blacksmithing forums which is where you should go for smithing info.
>>
>>1200418
thanks dad
>>
>>1200419 i couldn't find the brand so thank you, cool guy
>>
>>1200416
Vulcan anvil. It will have a cast iron body and a tool steel face plate. It would have been made by heating up the tool steel plate to a forge welding temperature in a mold then casting iron into the mold.

Lot's of people have very strong negative opinions about Vulcans, myself I have never used one. That said it looks like it is in very good shape so I would clean it up to have as a keepsake rather than pounding metal on it.
>>
>>1200416
Remarkable shape for a vulcan. I've heard stories of some of these coming out pretty well usable, but that was usually the exception. Most cases the hardened steel plate on the top face breaks and chips away. They aren't worth very much money because of what they are made from, but they are a very nice looking anvil as far as aesthetics and would make a fantastic bit of shabby chic for a work shop or yard. I wouldn't work metal on it myself, but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>1200416
Enjoy it as country art. If you want to make useful things out of metal the two least efficient methods in the modern world are smithing and casting.
>>
>>1200417
>turns heavy chunk of metal instead of walking around it to take pic
Kek
>>
>>1200457
I didn't want to get doxxed.
>>
>>1200458
Bryan, pls
>>
>>1200457
Its like 10 pounds you mantlet lmao
>>
>>1200503
closer to 100 -125 actually.
>>
>>1200451
wut

learn to metallurgy or something
>>
Video related, OP. Yours is in better shape.

But >>1200439 and >>1200419 have pointed you in the right direction.

Try and get the rust off through chemicals and light mechanical removal (wire wheel), seal and paint it, see if you can get someone to mill the top again, but its really not necessary.
>>
>>1200615
And I'm retarded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Fd6WPeUWY
>>
>>1200553
Welding and machining are what build most useful things. Casting use to be huge and even small local machine shops had their own patternmaking and foundry operations, but weldments are tougher, not brittle, and MUCH faster to produce so casting mostly went away. Casting's adorable for jewelry and hobby toy shit but to make genuinely useful tools and machines you still require a lathe and a milling machine to FINISH the casting.

Smithing is fun but it's mostly used for toys like knives and decorative objects. Hand forging is like making buggy whips. There is a niche market but it doesn't produce anything precise without subsequent machining. Horse shoes excepted but you can buy those then finish to suit and get the job done much faster. Irrelevant unless you are a farrier.

BTW if you want a smooth top on an anvil, look for local Blanchard grinders. They grind precisely and accurately and a relatively tiny surface like the top of an anvil should be inexpensive considering they grind much, much larger plates quite reasonably.
>>
>>1200416
Throw it away and buy one from Harbor Freight ;)
>>
>>1200416
That is a 100 year old anvil, most likely made of steel. it is covered in rust and dirt and has a stuff written on it.
>>
Seriously, why not using google? You used it to get here but you're not smart enough to search anvils, fucking anvils in google, wow

Shit threads like this is why diy is diying
>>
>>1200848
You have no fucking clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>1200848
Since every piece of metal machined had to be cast and probably hot rolled when it was made, does that make everything that is machined a casting or a forging?

Sure, you machine an engine block after you cast it, but are you going to say that means it isn't a casting? Same with forgings/extrusions.

There isn't one technique superior for every single application, sometimes it's casting, some times it's machining wrought material, sometimes it's fabricating, some times it's forgings, and once in a lifetime it is muh 3D printing meme.

But if we are talking about hobbies rather than production, I guess the best way to make it is the way someone personally find most enjoyable.
>>
>>1200617
didn't he just fuck up the tempering tho ? or am i missing something ?
>>
>>1200918
I think you are missing his point. He's saying that it is not efficient for you to have your own setup for casting for forging necessarily, but it makes more sense for you to have your own welding and machining setup. Obviously way up the line the barstock was rolled in a mill. But that doesn't mean you should own the rolling mill.

Your last point is the best point though. We aren't talking about production for the most part in this board. And people forget that fact a lot.
>>
>>1200848
>Smithing is fun but it's mostly used for toys like knives and decorative objects.
>toys like knives
You just triggered all the bongs
>>
File: 1485876360862.png (375KB, 763x960px) Image search: [Google]
1485876360862.png
375KB, 763x960px
Sweet fucking Hephestus. I thought these threads only popped up on /k/ but I crawl out of the /k/amp and wander into another board and here I do indeed find one of these gems of entertainment... I guess the cancer is real.
>>
>>1200848
I just wonder if the weight of the anvil will have an effect on the grinding operation.
>>
>>1200617
lmao

>BBBBRRRRRRRRBBBRBRBRBRBR

is he using a fucking High Speed Steel (HSS) toolbit on that flycutter?

there he put in a boring bar with an carbide insert for a little bit

then an end-mill, probably not carbide from the looks of it.

a grinder is still the way to go imo, or you could buy a $40 carbide end-mill, or a cemented carbide lathe tool-bit to put in the fly-cutter.

but in all honesty, since you're going to be hammering on it.. it's probably flat enough.

OP hit the top with the sand-paper (evenly), then hit it with a stone, and after hammering on it a while hit it with a stone again to knock off any burrs or gouges.

if you use a wire wheel to knock the rust off, be careful because those fuckers throw stainless steel needles at you
>>
>>1204009
could lap it more flat if you need it.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.