[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tile Bathroom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: michigan-castle-master-bath.jpg (83KB, 792x528px) Image search: [Google]
michigan-castle-master-bath.jpg
83KB, 792x528px
Hey guys, serious question: If I'm going to completely tile in my bathroom floor to ceiling, is it necessary to use drywall, or can I go with plywood (like OSB sheathing) for the walls? If not, why? I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest option, here, it's just that hanging drywall didn't make a ton of sense to me considering it's in a bathroom and it's so susceptible to mold. I was looking at cement board, but I'd have to order it since no one around me carries it.

I'm ripping out my whole bathroom down to the studs because the drywall is ruined and the subfloor isn't level, so I can start completely from scratch.

Pic related, it's an example of what I'd like to do but maybe not that color.
>>
File: 1497126222338.jpg (9KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
1497126222338.jpg
9KB, 194x259px
>>1200381
I think you'd be better off using cement backer board?
>>
>>1200383
This is the way forward op
When wet plasterboard will mush and crumble. Even the moisture resistant stuff isn't meant for constant exposure to water.
When wet plywood will bend and warp. Usually waterproof or exterior ratings for plywood apply to the glue, not the wood. It won't fall apart but your tiles will pop off.

The only reasonable alternative is 'tanking' the plasterboard/drywall where you paint it with plastic basically to make it waterproof. Up to you but I wouldn't bother.

Cement backer board can be tiled on directly. Because its cement based water only makes it stronger. It will drink all the water you can throw at it without bending warping degrading mushing etc.
Floors I would suggest exterior ply with cement backer on top.
Ceiling? Who cares. Moisture resistant ply might work, never seen a ceiling tilted before.
>>
File: 1432057864622.gif (4MB, 395x235px) Image search: [Google]
1432057864622.gif
4MB, 395x235px
>>1200381
>that image
absolutely fucking disgusting.
>>
>>1200394
For some reason it reminds me of Fear and Loathing. I can just imagine Hunter Thompson going on a rampage in there.
>>
File: 1490423033253.jpg (260KB, 993x733px) Image search: [Google]
1490423033253.jpg
260KB, 993x733px
>>1200383
>cement backer board
This.
Pull the greenboard off, shim and install half-inch cement board in its place. Tile on that.

Bathroom is my next project.
>>
>>1200394

kek
>>
>>1200383
>>1200389
>>1200414

Thanks bros. I didn't know a lot about cement board but I've been reading up on it. Apparently I can order it into a store about an hour from me which isn't too bad, so it's not like I'm going to the ends of the earth to get it.

I'm not tiling the ceiling, that'd be far too heavy and just be a little overboard - I'm just doing a normal ceiling.

>>1200394

I only used it as a reference for you guys (and because you can't post without a pic) to show the completely tiled floor and walls. In no way will it look entirely like that - that's too...green. I'm doing a lot of white subway tile with these porcelain midnight blue accent tiles for the floor, and then I'm doing an art deco streamline mosaic pattern on the walls so it won't be busy and annoying.

>>1200404
Ha, like the scene when Dr. Gonzo is in the bathtub with all the fucking oranges and wants Hunter to throw the radio in.
>>
>>1200394

More like this, anon, only blue and white
>>
As others have said cement board and you'll want some sort of water proofing membrane for the actual floor of the shower.

Good luck anon
>>
i've always wanted a bathroom i could clean entirely with a pressure washer.
>>
>>1200428
I recommend starting by squaring your lines from your doorway like in said picture. Your bathroom is not square, I promise you. Find a conscious side you've determined you will hide the short and half tiles, often the opposite of the tub base. You use the tub frequently and walk through the doorway twice per restroom use, you want those areas to be what's square.

Don't forget to caulk the tub base.
>>
Code here is mold proof drywall for the tub unless you have a surround and even then that's questionable depending on local bylaws.

I wouldn't use osb. You'll never get it straight.
>>
>>1200389
Cement board or durarock this guy is wrong though you are going to want to paint the durarock with a sealant for the shower suround and anywear else that gets lots of water. Cement board can take a lot of moisture but the studs its conected to cant.
>>
>>1200381

The code in almost every state in the US is that you have to use a cement board, like durarock or hardiebacker. Code is only a suggestion for a DIY though.

Lots of people used to use greenboard for bathrooms and showers and never had any problems with it. As long as you put two or three coats of Redgard on it before tiling, which you should be doing anyway, no matter what your backer board is.

Greenboard is cheaper and easier to work with, but cement board would be a better option long term
>>
>>1200472
Is there any other way?
>>
I prefer schluter kerdi board to cement board.
>>
>>1200472
Murder a lot of people do you?
>>
File: i-KSL8HjR-L.jpg (90KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-KSL8HjR-L.jpg
90KB, 799x450px
>>1200472
if it wouldn't completely kill the resale value of this place, I'd have a washdown-friendly bathroom. Pressure washer wand permanently affixed to the wall.

As functional as it would be, I think a lot of potential buyers would walk in and see the cattle-processing-esque bathroom, do a 360° and walk out the door.

>>1200569
Greenboard's moisture-resistant, surround would go on top of that. OSB is for flooring, not walls.
Regardess of whether you're using greenboard or cement board (fuck, even OSB for that matter) there needs to be something waterproof on top of that. Tile, plastic surround, whatever. The backerboard should never directly see water.

>>1200658
The cement board's got tile on it. As long as the grout's sealed, the cement board shouldn't see any moisture. (Even if the grout isn't maintained, it'll take a fuckload of water to penetrate the grout and saturate the backerboard).

>>1200660
The problem with tile on greenboard is the paper will peel off, and all the tile comes with it. Cement board doesn't have this problem, as it's designed for tile applications.

>>1200777
>check'd
Couple hookers.

Pic related, kitchen flooring glued/screwed tonight. I need a lot more mortar.
>>
>>1200472

This anon gets it. Tile is easy to clean, and easy to maintain if you just keep it clean

>>1200566
I already know it's far from square. The previous homeowners did some "renovating" themselves, but were complete fucking retards about it. I've already got it down to the studs on the walls, and I'm tearing out the subfloor now to reinforce it for my big ass bathtub (since it's a 2nd floor bathroom). They never leveled the subfloor and just poured a bunch of thinset and let it run into the corners so I took the hammer drill to that. But thank you for the tip, that's exactly what I needed to help me start with the tiles.

Once I get her going I'll start posting pics for you guys.
>>
>Trowel thinset on the floors and set cement board (I prefer Durock, 4x8 sheets if the room is big)
>Hang cement board on studs and ceiling
>Fiber tape on all seams and thinset over that along with all screw heads on the floor, the walls wont really need it
>Roll on waterproofing everywhere, I usually use Redguard or Latticrete products, at least 2 coats maybe 3 on the floor
>Set tile

I worked on a house that had 2 bathrooms done like this but the room was covered in full slabs of Corian with barely noticable seams. Big floor drain right in the center of the room that the floors sloped to and an open shower along the back wall with no curb. You could take a hose in there and spray the whole room to clean it, pretty cool.
>>
Thinset, tile, cement board and grout are not waterproof. Why are they all used in bathrooms? What stops the moisture getting inside the walls?
>>
>>1201175

They're usually waterproof enough. Unless there's constant standing water on them for some reason or there's something preventing water vapor from dissipating on the back side, water should never accumulate behind/under tile.

If this is a concern, however, you just stick some waterproofing membrane behind it. Usual practice for showers, AFAIK.
>>
Please, for the love of God, make sure you seal your grout regularly. Better yet, just use stainproof grout.
>>
File: Gidget_Taco_Bell_chihuahua.jpg (20KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
Gidget_Taco_Bell_chihuahua.jpg
20KB, 240x320px
>>1200381
OP DO NOT USE FUCKING DURAROCK. The stupid fuck's who've never done sheetrock work in their life recommending you use the shit here listen to their amateur fathers/grand fathers who "re-did" a bathroom once in their whole fucking lives, and the stupid fucks used durarock and "hurdur best thing ever"

Durarock IS NOT mold RESISTANT. like greenboard is!!

Durarock = cement board what ever else stupid ass names the stuff has.

Greenboard < Mud + tape joints really smoothly < Regular old modified thinset [DO NOT BUY PREEEEEEEEE-MIX!!!] < Tiles < Grout < let it cure DO NOT SUBJECT GROUT TO WATER AT ALL AFTER CURED < Grout sealer GET THE GOOD SHIT DONT CHEAP OUT, DO IT RIGHT, DO IT ONCE. < DONE.

If you're going to install tile on the roof too, greenboard should be technically screwed into a supporting structure every 12 inches, most joist are 16, so installing extra beams between joist and screwing to those is a must of you're going to tile the roof.

>anon who know's a thing or two.
>>
>>1201244
What's the best way to clean and seal grout? What product is best to clean the grout and what do you use to seal it?
>>
File: the_shining_bath.jpg (87KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
the_shining_bath.jpg
87KB, 1024x576px
>>1200381
For a moment OP pic reminded me of this.
>>
>>1200472
All third world wet floor bathrooms are like that
>>
>>1200381
Completely tiling you bathroom with tiles like in your pic is risky in terms of having mold at some point.

Plastering is able to absorb humidity and then giving it back into the air. It is better in terms of managing humidity in the room.

If you had problems with mold before I'd say rethink the approach. If you bathroom is very well ventilated and you dont take hot showers anyway, then you might be good to go.
>>
>>1201249
>What product is best to clean the grout
Sorry I'm unsure of the process for old grout. I'd assume if you follow the manufacturers instructions to a T Your grout sealer would come out just fine. I believe you can either steam it or acid wash it.. Maybe it's like bar keepers friend™ or something.

As for what to use. Use what you can get. I use the link below because Lowe's is the closest homegoods store near me and so easiest to get to. I had to order the stuff to the store online though.. An you may have too yourself. BTW heads up. Says 20 years.. I haven't seen a job I've worked on yet reach 20 years. But I'm skeptical as fuck and always tell who ever is having it applied that I'm personally only guarantee it for only 10 years. Because anything you apply and walk on/scrub on is gonna come off over time. And that It may last 20 years on say the walls. But floors every 10. And if you want the keep the beading of the product and anti slip feature, reapply a single coat every 5 years.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Miracle-Sealants-Company-Impregnator-Quart/50334095?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-Flooring-_-GroutMortarAndSealers-_-50334095:Miracle_Sealants_Company&CAWELAID=&kpid=50334095&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=2438&k_clickID=b9069424-6e98-418d-b548-482a3d510a38&gclid=CMnQ65re49QCFY82gQodDaAG2A
>>
>>1201244

So what goes under the tile on the floor?
>>
>>1200381
fill it with water and it will look like a room from tomb raider...
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.