[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dug a trench because of damp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 15

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3724x2096px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3724x2096px
Long story short I have a old house what kept on getting very bad damp on the whole bay window.
I got told by someome the main cause of it was probably because the front garden had been brought up higher.it covered a bit of an air brick and about 3 bricks below it.

So I've dug out this trench as well as putting in a. New damp course (one that goes in the mortar)bleached all the bottom inside bricks.When I get round to rendering it going to use a damp proof chemical in it as well

>question
Now I have a big horrible trench i was going to throw some stones in there.
I want to know is there a specific type to use ? Something that prevents my wall from getting damp.
>>
Any one ?
>>
>>1200285
>- Be patient, this is a slow board; your thread will be around for days.
>>
Had similar issues on bed room wall. Air flow solved everything. Left nothing there at all. There is a garden in front of the trench to keep persons away from it.
>>
Maybe some kind of French drain.
>>
>>1200265
French drain
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 681x464px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 681x464px
>>1200294
That is one problem.its an old house new Windows but No vents on the Windows.It doesn't have a caverty wall either.I think I'm going to replace the airbricks on the outside see if that helps.

That French drain looks interesting I'll look into that.
I did speak to someone who said if I wanted to dig out the whole front garden they would help dump it all for me.its a lot more messing about but I am off work for another week or so so I may do that.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Ok so if I set up a French drain will it drain out effectively on the right side wall.
The trench is near enough level I don't know if it's going to have to have some sort of lift on it to drain out or if that would even matter.

I've just dug it all out further/wider today.
Hoping to point up the bricks Tommrow paint the wall with bitumen waterproofer and maybe get started on the drain it's self.

Any help actually setting the drain up
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>
>>1201854
Watch out OP, it's the earth around the house that keeps the foundation from cracking. You'll want to be carefull.
The drain needs to be all the way down to the lower most part of the foundation. Or it needs to be here because of climate.
>>
>>1201854
>The trench is near enough level I don't know if it's going to have to have some sort of lift on it to drain out or if that would even matter.
Water needs to be gravity fed away from your foundation. And there needs to be some place it goes, like a sewer of ditch or whatever. And please install some inspection wells also. The drain will eventually clog up because nature fucks eventually up everything man builds.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3724x2096px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3724x2096px
I've been looking at the neighbours and all their front gardens are concreated and I think on a slight slope so the water just drains onto the street.

Could someone please tell me the exact plan of action o should take to co strict this drainage .
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Inside of the house still need to render the walls and skim them.
>>
File: french-drain-installation.jpg (140KB, 621x567px) Image search: [Google]
french-drain-installation.jpg
140KB, 621x567px
>>1203141
>>1201854
>>1201856
•Install a pipe like in this image.
•Install access ports, for cleaning purposes.
•The drain pipe should be level to prevent erosion. (don't worry, it will flow out through the pipe on what ever end the outflow is.)
•Connect the drain pipe to your roof downspout outflow (usually a sewer, if you are in the city. Some places just let it out into a gutter along the street; check local codes.)
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1203149
My roof gutter is connected to the neighbours drain pipe and drains out from there front garden.

Does under the pipe need to have some sort of tarp or can it just go right I top of the soil or should I cover it with stones ?

In my pic every one seems to have the drainage like the bottom one and I'm guessing from looking at a few houses it's because the gardens slope down that way(all their pipes are covered with blocks or flags)

If I go for the bottom type then how will I connect two pieces of that type of pipping together so it drains of effectively ?
I'm thinking that if I cut a hole in the middle section of the pipe then insert the other pipe Into it it won't be level enough and the water will have to raise/fill up a fair bit until it drains out of it.

If I do it the top way then I need to find a drainage part to add to it to direct the water along the wall.
>>
>>1203985
You are saying that your drainage area is lower than the neighbor's outflow pipe?
>>
>>1203990
my drainage area was higher.

my guttering pipe drains down into one pipe what is in the neighbor's front yard

I mentioned that because >>1203149
says
>•Connect the drain pipe to your roof downspout outflow
I haven't got one as its next door.
>>
>>1203995
Just connect it to the pipe that removes water from your property.
>>
>>1204057
I don't have one,that's what I'm trying to say.
>>
>>1204060
Then make one.
>>
>>1204063
Well that's why I'm here haha
>>
File: ContorDrain_header2.png (358KB, 584x383px) Image search: [Google]
ContorDrain_header2.png
358KB, 584x383px
>>1204067
1: Connect to existing outflow.
2: Make an outflow.

The drainage pipe is what connects to the outflow.
The outflow is end point. Like a sewer or one of these popup emitters.
>>
File: image.png (458KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
458KB, 640x1136px
>>1204072
Yeh I get you that's just going to get out out the side of my wall to where my step is.

Any way thanks for the help I'll get started on this tomorrow hopefully,I'll come back and post pics.
>>
>>1201856
Btw that's going to be the outflow.im going to put a hole in that wall then have a drainage pipe directed at the floor
>>
>>1204209
fuck one last thing,is their a cheap alternative to gravel ?
The pipe is already going to cost me around £30 because the smallest I can get is 25meters ) i only need 5)
The fabric is £10
and the gravel is around 45£

Could I just use sand ?
>>
File: 3 tan gravel.jpg (293KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
3 tan gravel.jpg
293KB, 1440x1080px
>>1204228
>cheap alternative to gravel ?

You've got to be shitting me.

That entire job should be about £150 max.

>Could I just use sand ?

Absolutely not. Use round stones. "River gravel". Like in this image.
>>
>>1204264
Yeh I'm finding. That expensive at the moment well in total it's expensive with everything else I've got to buy for the place.

Btw I don't even know why o said sand obvs it's going to clog the pipe up
>>
>>1204418

Jeez what are the prices of that over there? We sell that shit for around 10 eur a cubic meter.
>>
>>1204421
He may be going to a landscaping store where they sell it in small bags. He needs to find a source where it is by the truck load.
>>
File: image.png (165KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
165KB, 640x1136px
Im looking online and I don't really know how much will be needed to cover 5meters
>>
>>1204569

do you know the difference between length, area and volume? if not, you're too stupid for this project
>>
>>1204569
Yeah, you need to call up local suppliers. Like landscaping companies so you can get a load of it, not a "bag" of it. It'll be cheaper.
>>
>>1204444
or he could just find a rocky river and haul it from there.
>>
>>1200265
we went through all this last week, if you garden was covering the air brick then not only are you stopping ventilation keeping the underhouse dry and aired but you are allowing water to skip past the damp proof course in the bricks, bricks soak up water making it damp.
you are double fucked.
that's what all the holes along the wall are, someone has tried to fix this in the past by calling up some cowboy who has suggested stitch srilling the wall, injecting some shitty compound that doesn't do anything then patching it in the ugliest way possible and scarpering before you realise they were yanking your chain.

you can't just throw in a fucking french drain and cross your fingers for it to work, you need to properly calculate the amount of water you are trying to shed and create a suitable soakaway.

a bulk bag of gravel (you want ~10mm graded gravel for bedding pipes) will be around 40-50£ unless you have someone in the trades to hook you up. builders merchants don't like joe public and will bend you over as soon as look at you.

bulk bag is commonly referred to an a 'ton' or 'tonne' bag but in reality isn't either i think? its around about 1m3.

if you were doing a proper drain to building regs then a bulk bag would just about cover it, but you aren't so you would probably need a little less but you won't save money buying less.

in reality you don't need to do any of this, you need to get your garden 100-150mm below your original DPC, get your garden falling away from the house and just drain it onto the fucking road or whatever.
http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain01.htm

save your money, you will need it to repair all the fucking rot lol!!
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1204705
Ok first off in this pic>>1203141
The top holes with damp course where out there about 10 years ago.Ice been told it was a possibility than blog was even injected lol

The boy to holes have now been filled by mortor and I was the cowboy who done it I got told to just do that then I did then done my own research into it.

Where you can see the bricks are darker that's where I've dig down.im just slightly above the foundation now and my air bricks have well been uncovered with plenty of space.

The inside wall is bone dry now from airing it out knocking of plaster and using a dehumidifier.From digging the trench I have a feel this damp has completely gone and will only come back now with heavy rain and no drainage in place.

>150mm below original dpc
this house only has the top dpc.This is a old house from 1905 I think or around then.

I think this French drain idea will be easier than making the garden drain away from the house.the width of the front garden is about 2 meter and is covered in the block paving.i think it's easier to put a pipe down and let it drain out of this side >>1201856 of the garden wall.Than it will be to drain out the side by the road.

Every one else does have it the latter but they all have a concrete front garden.

i do t want to put the money into doing that.
How would I find out before hand of there is a lot more rot ?

From what I know this house has had a damp wall caused by the shitty front garden for 10 years or longer.

The Brick work on the inside seems completely fine .
The bottom Bricks in the outside from what I dug up where shot and all needed pointing again.

>also thanks for the replys
>>
>>1204716
Jesus christ mate you need to sober up before posting. some can type when drunk, but you ain't some
>>
>>1204716
Also I'm assuming every one else who has flagstones and block paving in there front garden around here has a French drainage system,right ?
>>
>>1204716
you only need to drain paving because you have made a permeable surface permeable.
you don't need to keep the foundations dry, concrete loves water.
the only part you keep dry are the timbers and insidey bits. thats the job of the dpc, stop water wicking up the wall and wetting the insides.
there will be an original dpc around about above the airbrick laid into the mortar.
the drilled holes filled with gunk are to form a secondary dpc because the ground level compromised the original allowing water to wick up the wall.

the only way to know about the damp is to rip out enough that you can properly inspect it and ideally get someone who is properly qualified and knows how to properly identify rot in to look at it.

have you checked the levels? i can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to block pave a house and have it drain towards the house.

you are the one moaning about the cost of materials! for the size of the area, probably sheltered by the house i wouldn't even bother draining it, as long as its properly below the dpc and water can't wick up the wall its problem solved. just knock half a brick out of the wall or something if you want lol.
>>
File: image.jpg (94KB, 768x511px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 768x511px
>>1204722
>have you checked the levels? i can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to block pave a house and have it drain towards the house.

They completely fucked it up.It was basically level (I never checked mines broke)and like i said they brought it up so high that the airbricks where more than half way covered.
I know that is the main point.

What's this original dpc supposed to look like then it's not the one with the injection so what is it?
>>
>>1204721
more likely a linear drain system since we are in the 21st century now btw.
>>
>>1204730
nowdays its a roll of plastic you lay in one of the courses of mortar.
olden days it was whatever was available, slate for example, or they use a different kind of fired brick that doesn't soak water as well. it can be impossible to see it, clue is its ususally just below the air brick, if it was dried out you might be able to tell just from the colour change from the wet/dry bricks make it obvious.

have a read http://www.pavingexpert.com/dpc01.htm
>>
>>1204665
That's actually illegal in most civilized places to help prevent erosion.
>>
File: image.png (550KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
550KB, 640x1136px
>>1204740
>>1204740
Shit yeh the bottom inside bricks are actually black coloured.I was thinking this was painted with bitumen more recently but i guess they could be fire bricks.

This all makes so much more sense now as well.
I guess I'll just dig the whole garden up and flatten it on a downward level.No money involved.

Do you think it would still be worth putting some sort of waterproofer over the bottom level bricks even though the ground outside will be well below them ?

And thanks for the replys people.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.