[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fiberglass Dashboard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: P10105642[1].jpg (115KB, 1023x682px) Image search: [Google]
P10105642[1].jpg
115KB, 1023x682px
I'd like to build a new custom dashboard for my car, and apparently fiberglass would be a light and hard material to make it from. I have never dealt with fiberglass before, so I'm definitely going to need whatever advice I can get for it.

The planned designs are going to be intentionally crude with lots of square and angular shapes, but I have no idea what is needed for the mold. Cardboard covered with trashbags would sound easy, but from what I've heard the chemicals used would melt through the trashbags and soak the cardboard beneath. What would you suggest? And is fiberglass a good idea in the first place?
>>
you want ugly? fiberglass is your shit.

Make a honeycomb out of 1/4" ply wood and lay up the fiber.

To make the honeycomb of wood, you have to take sections from the 3d design and place them every 250cm.

then you do at least two layers of fiber, and epoxy, followed by a 80grit shaping and a gel coat.

If you are really this clueless look up how to make a small sailboat, there are books at the thing callled a biblioteca. Maybe they call it "library" in your part of the third world?
>>
Check out this guy's fibreglass dashboard work - he does armour as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UctklwPlok
>>
File: FB_IMG_1497358603270.jpg (39KB, 720x754px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1497358603270.jpg
39KB, 720x754px
>>1199975
Anon get a junkyard dash or build a center console first to practice.

Staple a wood frame with feace or old sweartshirts to soak up the resin. Than lay 2 layers at a time of mat over it until your happy with it. Sand and bondo amd paint or hit it with 60 grut and rhino liner it.
>>
if you get in an accident and cut your head off on the dash your insurance company may not cover head reattachment since you changed your dashboard.

They are made to be 'soft' for a reason.
>>
>>1199975
I'd suggest you first read about fiberglass and it's applications. I recommend Composite materials from John Wanberg, there are 4 books with great projects, information and application. Unfortunately they are not available for download online so you have to buy them.
After that I'd suggest you learn a 3d modeling software ( I do solidworks but you can pretty much do it in any 3d cad software) to draw your dashboard. Print the dimensions and cut plywood/thin mdf. Wanbergs books even have structural analysis in solidworks if you ever intend to build something sturdy or just don't want to get impaled during crash.
After that it's just a matter of applying fiberglass, sanding and painting, but before applying look at what kind of composites exactly are you looking (fiberglass has different properties from weight, strenght etc. and there are different types of resin for the job).
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.