[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PVC Launcher

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: TheBigBoy.png (20KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
TheBigBoy.png
20KB, 1152x648px
Hey guys I'm making a handheld PVC launcher (it's not a weapon so please no ban). The design will be exactly like pic related. The only problem I have come across is the nichrome wire in the tube. I'm afraid it will melt the tube with all the heat it puts out. I'm also wondering if the nichrome wire will even set off the fuse. Does it need an actual open flame to light it, or will the heat from the wire suffice? Is there anything I can put into the pipe that will keep it from melting?

If you see any other flaws in my design, please point them out.
>>
>>1199737
How is this not a weapon? It's a fucking cannon.
>>
>>1199737
Fire needs 3 things, heat air fuel. Fire isn't one of those 3 things. Autoignition happens at a set temperature for a set material.

Work out what temperature your wire will reach and find an insulator that won't melt at that temperature. Ceramic probably, maybe wood in a pinch.
Even metal as long as it doesn't have enough time to heat up to melt whatever it's touching. Blowtorch is basically all metal but your hands don't burn do they?
Not enough energy to heat the whole thing because it loses heat too. Trial and error if you can't do the maths.
Electrical insulators are also heat insulators, that's a tip if you are looking for glass or ceramic insulators.
>>
Spudgun builder here. Are you fucking high? Get a pump and a sprinkler valve. This is retarded.
>>
>>1199893
What's a pump and sprinkler valve supposed to do?
>>
>>1200004
Launch your shit?
>>
>>1200015
Uhhhhhh there's a mix of potassium nitrate and sugar in the pvc. It doesn't really need anything to make it launch. The nichrome wire should light the fuse and send the rocket flying. I thought that was self explanatory.

>>1199874
I guess its not a weapon because I don't intend to use it as one?
>>
>>1200016
>using gunpowder in a PVC tube
please livestream your first attempt
>>
>>1200024
It's not gunpowder, dummy. It's a sugar rocket and people use it in PVC all the time.
>>
>>1200037
Hope to God you're not in the US or the ATF will rape your shit for building a shoulder launcher. Not the smartest thing to do regardless in a hobby where the cardinal rule is "always assume it will explode."
>>
File: DSCN2077.jpg (440KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2077.jpg
440KB, 1600x1200px
Use a short piece of nichrome to keep the heated area small.
Ecig coils (.5 - 2.5 ohms) can get hot enough to melt the wire when you "burn them off"(heat with no cooling juice). They're usually less than 1/8" cubed and powered by 3-5 volts.

Smaller wire heats faster but has more resistance.
32 gage is fragile, I'd try at least 28 gage. Coil it up around a small drill bit. Add wire length for less heat, shorten for more heat. You could fasten the ends of the coil to a larger metal piece to disipate heat at the ends of the coil. Have it attach by screws to replace the coil easier.

Here's specs for a Kanthal one powered by 4V that will get almost white hot. It's about 1/8" long and a little over 1/16" Diameter. Made with about 2" of wire.
>>
>>1200039
ATF won't fuck you over, but
>>1200037
in general it's not a good idea to ignite homemade explosive mixtures near your body.
>>
OP, your design is really, really flawed.
Most people build combustion launchers powered by hairspray or butane, using a BBQ grill igniter to ignite it.
What you're doing it just all wrong. You're going to have a shit ton of problems with it and it won't be fun. Simple combustion cannons are easy to build and pretty safe.
Look at some combustion canons on spudfiles.com to get some design ideas.
>>
>>1199874
Its a rocket launcher not a cannon. Rockets without a warhead are hard to call a weapon. Model rockets are fun.
Its just a tube launcher. Pretty basic backyard project. If you cant relate im sorry for your sad upbringing.
>>
When I was fucking around with model rockets, the cops told me "launching them straight up is legal, if you launch them horizontal, then its a destructive device "(aka felony)
He couldnt provide me the penal code with a minimum azimuth to define "up" vs. "horizontal". (IQ gap was large with this one)
>>
>>1200436

This will just kill OP. Hopefully.

Lots of people have been hurt by putting explosives and rocket engines in pvc. He'd be better off with compressed air or STEEL.

And yes I have made this before. You end up shooting the neighbours cats with it or bald eagles.

If you can't relate I'm sorry for your sad education of material analysis and safety factors.
>>
>>1200582
Well... a lot of people have been hurt by words.
Now Im one of them. Happy now?

LOL

So I guess burst disk contolled combustion launcher and hybrid No2 rockets are going to be too bad for the neighbors cat as well?
Just aint no more fun on this word left.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.