[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First project

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: D and D table.jpg (255KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
D and D table.jpg
255KB, 640x480px
So diy me and my brother plan to make or at least start to work on a Gaming table for D&D, Magic, Poker, and the such. A general gaming table, I'm planing to put a screen in the middle, I've got an old monitor from when I updated my PC, I have the electrical locked down since I'm an electrician, grabbed a few outlets some SJ cord for a plug and some twelve wire for the guts but I wanted to ask if anyone has some advice on stuff like what type of wood works best for a table and the like. any advice for a first timer would be great.
>>
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1336694/game-table-design-series-completed-bgg-game-tables
>>
Generally the sheer 'mass' of wood you need tends to price out some of the more 'exotic' types, depending on your budget though you might be able to snag some teak or even walnut boards.
Nicely stained and polished pine with a few layers of lacquer, rubbed back and shiny can look very good though if you put the effort into it.
Reclaimed timber used in old buildings, mouldings, floorboards and the like with a distressed appearance can also be cool, but people sort of twigged onto it as being a bit of a bargain and that's gotten more expensive over the years.
>>
Before you do anything, make sure the monitor has a wide enough viewing angle so everyone around the table can see it.
>>
>>1198719
This. Personally, I would also remove the bezel and cover the screen with some plexiglass to make the table sleeker.
>>
>>1198411
>put a screen in the middle
If you want it to look professional, you buy a panel (glass and all) from China and you build a mounting for it.
If you want it to look cheap, like your OP picture does, just jam a TV in there.

>>1198719
This guy is right. Buy OLED or QLED. OLED has burn-in problems, so your D&D would not go very well, unless you enjoy staring at the same map every day. There are very few varieties of monitors that have good viewing angles from all directions.

>>1199023
You could do this, but then you would be wasting money on software and other crap you'll never use.
If you buy the raw panel by itself, you can route the display interconnects (eDP or LVDS) and break them out into usable connections directly onto the table. You can also route buttons and such to turn them on.
For manipulation, I recommend either using a capacitive touch screen display, a thin client tablet device, or a trackball.
>>
>>1199753
Forgoing all of this display shit, you could also apply a removable matte white sheet over the desk and use a top-down mounted projector.
That's what I would do. Display technologies are pretty disappointing.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.