[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PAINTING THREAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_7442.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7442.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Anyone here enjoy painting?

Let's have a painting thread where we discuss painting, paints, tools, techniques etc.

I've recently discovered it to be a very comfy and rewarding process.
Now all I want to want to do is paint stuff.

I enjoy glossy oil paint and brush application the most.

What painting projects can I take on?
>>
I paint houses, external, internal, walls, trim , cabinets, so yea i paint. Hate it. Heres a tip, dont make it a career.
>>
>>1198397

Painting is mild fun, cutting in sucks and ruins it tho.
>>
>>1198444
>Heres a tip, dont make it a career.
Why not?
>>
File: wood.jpg (38KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
wood.jpg
38KB, 500x269px
not a painter here, but just finished a project oiling up a piece of furniture to give the wood a darker touch

how would /diy/ go on about adding a letter-print like in pic related?
thanks for help in advance
>>
>>1198714

Stencil and a torch
>>
>>1198724
paper stencil?
>>
>>1198724

durr, shouldve done that before oiling right?
is it possible to get this fade-out effect with a torch though?
>>
Every time you paint walls, you lose living space :(
>>
>>1198729
>remove the oil as much as you can
>torch/heatgun without stencil to dry the area
>do the stencil, oil back
maybe...
>>
>>1198729

Paper would most likely burst into flames immediately unless you used a thick cardboard. Ideally you'd have someone cut out the stencil in aluminum but for a one shot deal fuck it and experiment. I bet some thick laminated cardboard could hold up long enough with several passes of a butane torch to get the effect you want but experiment on a test piece first. I'd cut out several pieces and glue them together then maybe use high heat orange engine paint may survive a couple stencil trials
>>
>>1198763

I think I've also seen people use soda or beer cans just unfurl them carefully. It's so thin you can do cut outs with an xacto knife as well but so thin you'd want to laminate something on the back to buffer against the heat depending on the effect you want
>>
>>1198444
>, dont make it a career.
This guy knows.

>>1198454
>cutting in sucks and ruins it tho.
But that's where the magic happens
>>
>>1198397

Fucking contractor painted latex over oil on the exterior of my house without primeing. Now it's all peeling off. What has to be done to fix it. Strip? Sand?
>>
>>1198875
Sue the contractor.

Priming is the proper way but you don't actually need to prime.
Just wash with TSP would have been fine.

Try pressure washing from a distance to avoid damaging the bottom coat. The Latex will peel off.
>>
I got into a fender bender a while ago, and it left a dent in my hood, where the paint chipped off. What would the best way to paint it be, so that it would look natural? Most of the dent was able to removed with careful use of a hammer, but there is still some visible deformation. I was thinking that the best way to get it looking better is to fill in the deformities with some bondo, sand it smooth, mask off the area with a bit extra room, primer, base coat, clear, and then blend with high grit sand paper and polishing compound.
>>
I paint for a carreer but im getting out of that shit by the end of the month after doing it 3 years. At first It was so comfy chilling with my boss and smoking weed and drinking beer while painting and seeing how purty the walls looked but now its just a pain. It does feel nice when working at peoples houses that chose a really nice color that actually improves the look of the house. But most of the time its forclosed houses that people trashed so we just smoke and drink in there and do a half ass job cuz that shits gay!
>>
>>1198397
I like getting paint jobs
>>
Is it worth buying a paint sprayer for painting interior walls?
>>
Helping paint my mom's new house inside, I've painted bricks and other exterior shit before, but never interior walls (drywall/plaster I guess).

We're looking to paint the kitchen, however it looks like the room has been painted several times over the last 50 years. There seems to be 4 different colors. My question is do I have to do anything to prepare the walls for a new different color? I'm hoping it's not like plastic/metal where I should be sanding then priming it beforehand, or peeling the old stuff off.
>>
>>1199518
A cheap sprayer is $60 or less and will do a decent enough job. Paint goes on thin and quick.

Involves lots more masking and prep though.
And might need an extra application because it goes on thin.

All things considered, brushes and rollers when employed by a skilled hand are equal or faster, but also more labor intensive.
>>
>>1199521
Light over Light = no prime
Dark over Light = no prime
Dark over Dark = no prime
Light over Dark = prime
>>
>>1199469
>>1198444
I can understand interiors and exteriors being boring, but cabinets are extremely enjoyable.
>>
>>1199593
>Light over Dark = prime

lol no. two coats, "priming" is never done in that case.

and actually, you are pretty much wrong in all four cases: if the color is changing very much, you need two coats. One coat coverage is bullshit unless you are spraying. Cut and roll will almost always require two coats for a color change.

t.22 years painting
>>
>>1199816
>cabinets are extremely enjoyable.

Really? Most hinges are a pain in the ass. There's one kind that has an opening that you either ignore, and it shows a small spot of the old color, or you remove the hinges and hope like hell you can re-assemble the doors without too much trouble.

And if you take the doors off, then it's a pain in the ass to coat every surface.

Cabinets are extremely not enjoyable, in my experience.
>>
>>1198714
Probably not the best idea, but you could do toner transfer. You probably wouldn't even need a laserjet printer in this case, since all of the people I saw experimenting with inkjet toner transfer got faded results like that.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.